Print Story I still need a lover with an alibi
Drugs
By gzt (Fri Feb 13, 2009 at 06:38:00 AM EST) gzt, friggin' intense, tag (all tags)
I'm sort of disturbed that my latest diary with that title comes up over all the song lyrics sites.

So I'm trying to turn a giant stack of data into something meaningful. It's about how long it takes to promote people, how long it's been since a promotion when people leave, what the current population looks like in terms of time since promotion. And whether all of that differs by gender and race - that's the big point to it. So I have three datasets: a list of promotions with time between promotions, a list of terminations with time between last promotion and termination, and a list of currently active employees with time since last promotion. What would have been great to have is a list of active employees with that info as of several years ago as well, but the database is really limited. Anyway, I have some ideas for how to do this, but if any of you have any brilliant ideas or questions you would want to see, I'm all ears. The sort of question we're trying to answer is whether we're only promoting white dudes, whether people are leaving because only white dudes are promoted, etc. If I have time, I may look at age groups as well. But, good grief, to really do this absolutely right is like a term paper, not something you whip together in a week while you're busy doing a bunch of other stuff because $UBER_BOSS is presenting a bunch of your group's work to Chief Something or Other Officer.

The results are guaranteed to be inconclusive, but suggestive.

So, I was watching a show last night and the power went out on the whole block. I was pissed. There wasn't anything going on, weather-wise, to make it comprehensible. The day before had been windy and stormy. Last night, however, nothing was going on. The power was out for a little over an hour, but it was too late to finish off the show.

I just thought about it: I haven't been getting the reward certificates from my Amazon.com visa. Whatte the swyve?

I'm updating my resume. I'm sending it out to a couple internal postings - one is in Texas and one is here, but a step above what I could get into. However, it has also been open for three months.

And, you know, the thing is, if they're different by .15 of a year, is that significant? Does it make a difference? Suppose it is statistically robust - should we care?

Okay. That's enough of that.

< It's not just the Irish who star in depressing urban poverty flicks | on darwin and evolution >
I still need a lover with an alibi | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What's wrong with promoting white dudes? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 13, 2009 at 07:26:52 AM EST
We have been persecuted against in the workplace since they started letting women near the datacenter.

A week is enough time for a proper term paper by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 13, 2009 at 10:06:37 AM EST
There'd be some midnight oil involved. The rule of thumb presented to us first year grad students is that we should plan on spending about 50 hours on a single term paper. Add the significant other stuff on top of that and you're looking at a really crappy, but doable, week.

I don't envy your situation.

Cicero, The Republic
Right, that's about right for a term paper. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 13, 2009 at 10:53:36 AM EST
My week's busy enough already. But the deadline is one I gave myself and there's no real rush on it. Still, it'd be extra nice to have another major coup. It looks like another report I recently did will actually be the only thing our group has ever done that anybody has ever found valuable, and even the VP of something or other that doesn't like anything we do wants to use it in his dealings with $OTHER_DIVISION. If I could go 2 for 2, I'll feel better about getting the lowest performance rating they can politely hand out in annual reviews last week...

I was pleased by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 12:17:40 PM EST
that a MSEE requires only minimal writing. Which my (unnecessary) undergrad honors college more than prepared me for.

how would you know? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Feb 14, 2009 at 12:38:59 AM EST
whether people are leaving because only white dudes are promoted

That would be interpretive on the stats, such that statistically significantly more non-whites/non-dudes often quit shortly after a white dude is promoted to a job that the non-white/non-dude would have been eligible for. Does your data show eligibility? Is your sample size large enough to get meaningful significance?

The question can't be answered rigorously by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Feb 14, 2009 at 09:21:52 AM EST
But the distributions can be suggestive.