Print Story Hellgate:London RIP
By clover kicker (Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 06:22:27 AM EST) mmo, crack (all tags)
So the Hellgate:London servers went offline for good last night.

I loved the game, but I'm not entirely unhappy that it is gone forever. Hellgate took much of my time and paid me back with just one thing -  - the knowledge that I can't trust myself on a MMORPG.

It's a shame Hellgate was shipped so early, I'm told it was a horrible bugfest. The game never recovered from the stench of a failed launch, even though later versions were very stable and the gameplay more balanced.

(I was interested in the game previews etc. but I don't buy ANYTHING at launch any more. I've been burned many times but Master of Orion III was so anticipated and turned out to be so terrible, it was the last game I bought without reading reviews from real people.)

Eventually a lot of people online were saying that the latest patches made the game quite playable and fun, so I bought in and started playing.

Playing as a marksmen was a great hybrid of Diablo and Doom, with extensive weapon customization. I built a fire damage gun, a gun with hilariously overpowered damage bonuses agains demons, a %nova Nanodyne Ballistics Cannon...

As much as I loved the Diablo games, they never quite exercised the same hold on me as Hellgate. I'd always stayed away from MMOs lest I become a raving addict, and of course that's what happened. It's silly, but I enjoyed having a kickass char in Normal difficulty, which inspired me to build a really powerful Elite character who could run endgame content with some of the most obsessive players on the server.

When killing stuff got a little dull the social aspect kept me playing, the desire to get just a little more powerful so I could hang with the top players.

And so I spent the spring and summer playing Hellgate every available moment. I didn't shirk my obligations, the bills still got paid and the lawn still got mowed, but Hellgate consumed ALL my leisure time. Frankly, grinding in a good MMO is far more interesting and rewarding then the boring grind of my everyday life.

Financial troubles dogged the game all along, and it was no shock when they announced the servers would go offline Jan 31/2009. I played for a couple more days, but burned out almost immediately, no point earning more items that were fated for the bit bucket.

If the game hadn't failed I'd be playing it right now instead of typing this. By now I'd have maxed out my elite beacon/multishot MM and started building my striker, or maybe the mobility/shields/armour evoker? Whatever, I'm sure my addiction wouldn't have cured itself.

But quitting Hellgate made me much more productive the last few months. I cleaned up a lot of nagging little jobs, trivial stuff had been piling up for months, if you let it pile up long enough...

I got back into the game this week, had one last fling with all my chars before the sun sets. I enjoyed Hellgate, and I'm sad to see it go. But I recognize that it wasn't good for me, and I'll never touch another MMO.

< I was given just one wish. | Jury Nullification - Know your rights.. >
Hellgate:London RIP | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
There are two reasons I never bought WoW by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #1 Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 11:43:27 AM EST
I like being married and employed.

Diablo II ate my life for about a year, ain't going back oh no.

You can't resist Diablo 3 by debacle (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 10:25:47 AM EST
No one can.

lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 12:40:43 PM EST
lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

Sorry, you were saying?

I've never played an MMORPG by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 04:27:35 AM EST
I'm not much of a PC gamer although I do enjoy an online FPS now and again.

The RPG gaming style, which seems to revolve around grinding out a score through random battles, and the amount of time you have to spend doing it, just doesn't appeal that much.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Bought it at launch by debacle (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 10:30:23 AM EST
Hated it for a long, long time. Was slow and buggy, load times sucked, and the quests weren't very engaging (but had a very Diablo I feel, which was nice). I played an Engineer up to level N, where N+1 is the level where the game got fun, so I hear, but the bugginess with almost every aspect of the game and the fact that Guild Wars was much, much more fun, stable, and free kind of forced me away from Hellgate with a bitter taste in my mouth. I really wanted to like the game, mainly because Guild Wars got old and WoW costeded monies, but it felt like they underdelivered even without the bugginess. Repetitive landscapes, crappy class structures, and missing content abounds.

engineer by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 02:17:21 PM EST
Well there's your problem! /snark

A few of the strongest players in the game were l50 engis wearing 20 million $$$ of gear, but really engi was designed as a support char.

I played a marksman (great solo char) and a summoner (perfect support char). I enjoyed both, but high level MMs were a dime a dozen, my high level summoner got invited to all the good parties because not many people like that play style.

Did you bail before the Stonehenge patch, that added some content at about the same time I joined.

And your story is the story of the failure of the game, at launch they pissed off thousands of guys just like you and paid the price.

I tried the paladin-like class by debacle (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 05:23:29 AM EST
And it seemed like being at range and killing thing before they could close was much, much smarter.

guardians by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 06:59:23 AM EST
Incredibly durable with the right build, not much damage. Very handy stunning/tanking/healing in a party, but killing stuff solo took too long, kinda boring at times. Again, the right build (gun guardian with 20 million worth of gear) was hilariously overpowered.

Another advantage of coming in late - I just read the forums instead of trying every unworkable build for myself.

I'm all about games by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 07:29:24 AM EST
That don't make unworkable builds.

oh come on now by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 08:41:11 AM EST
You were a D2 fan, you've leveled chars to lvl 18 with only 2 skill points used because all the good stuff only comes available about halfway thru.

Especially with the later patches, as builds got better and better they patched the game to be harder and harder, right now you can't survive in Hell at all unless you're using a cookie-cutter build.

I played D2 like that, yes by debacle (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 08:59:35 AM EST
But I stopped playing D2 when it was clear that Blizzard didn't want to make certain things viable.

I stopped playing WoW when it was enormously clear that Blizzard didn't want to make certain classes, races, talents, itemizations, etc viable.

I'm told WoW endgame is terribly restrictive by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 09:01:34 AM EST
Haven't tried myself. Is Guildwars more flexible in that respect?

Guildwars is fun by debacle (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 09:38:42 AM EST
But you can't play it forever.

There is a lot to see.