Print Story on fog
By clock (Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 08:14:36 AM EST) (all tags)
Rainy last night and foggy this morning.  Nice.

Something in my head is just off this week.  I'm pretty sure it's linked to my inability to get back into my groove.  My long weekend evolved into a sweet irony when I couldn't apply stain or lacquer to my project because (ready for this?) it was actually too fucking cold in Texas.  That right there?  That's total bullshit.  It sort of wrecked my game in terms of completing my guitar before the end of the year.  Maybe not.  I will start a race against time this Thursday night and see who wins.  It had best be me.  I would be so happy to think that I accomplished things in 2009 that are outside of what is generally expected.

There are a lot of creative people on this site who have day jobs.  Serious day jobs.  Things you might call careers.  But how many of you would rather say you're a writer rather than a $highly_technical_thing_doer?  In the past couple of weeks I have started thinking about myself the way I did in college and it's working.  By working I mean that my attitude is improving and my job isn't really killing my soul, etc.  I seriously think of myself as a janitor.  Some things about being a janitor that you should know.  First, it's not easy.  It's evil work that no one wants to do.  There's a lot of labor in it and the work itself is dirty.  Not metaphorically or spiritually, but physically.  Second, you see the worst of people.  Women are disgusting beasts.  How do I know this?  I cleaned their bathrooms for a couple of years.  The stuff they will stick in trash cans or leave on the floor is mind boggling.  And before you jump, with men it's piss.  But it's only piss.  Third, you see the world from the position of a non-person.  People treated me like I wasn't there when I was working.  It was fascinating.  The things people will say in front of a janitor if only to prove that he isn't there are incredible.

All the time that I was pushing a broom and swabbing toilets, I didn't think of myself as a janitor.  I was a composer.  A musician.  My fingernails were kept perfect.  I memorized scores on my breaks.  I would show up to work from rehearsals or practicing and leave work to get back in the practice room.  I didn't label myself.  That's been the most difficult thing for me with what I do for money.  It's what a lot of people I know respect as a career.  See that?  Janitor is a job.  $my_job is a career.  Funny stuff, that.  The two aren't all that far apart.  And the way that I treat them would indicate to me that there's no difference between the two.

So I go about my routine.  I don't empty trashcans, but I do clean up.  I push the early twenty-first century equivalent of a broom and think of myself as a composer and a musician.  Something inside of me has changed and it shows.  A co-worker mentioned yesterday that I've been much more relaxed.  Seems to me that's a good thing.  A very good thing.

Am I alone here?  I don't think so.  It's probably more complex than the way I've put it down here, but I think you get the gist.

Misc.

This weekend I re-read The Triggering Town by Richard Hugo because a douchebag blogger on the internet mentioned it and I remembered how good I thought it was when I discovered it back in college.  Know what?  Still good.  If you do stuff and/or things you should probably read it.  Oh, and fuckwit chain bookstores keep it in the poetry section instead of with literary criticism or the "Please, Please Buy This Book And I Swear You'll Be A Great Writer" stuff.

We put up the tree this weekend.  Now we need to keep it standing.  This is a challenge.  The boy is really a piece of work sometimes.

It snowed in Houston last Friday.  I had the day off so I didn't have to worry about driving around with these people who never change their tires.  Of course they let my office go at noon due to inclement weather on my day off but I'm not bitter.  Fucking morons.  That said, we got cute pics of The Dude in the snow with Teh Puppay.  They were both quite pleased.  It was a good day to be at home, but then again most days are.

I like candles.  And tacos.  But not taco candles.

I have a solid 8 hours of meetings today.  Nice.

My dad kept the boy last Saturday night so Stacky and I had a real date!  Dinner and the bookstore.  We're predictable, but happy.  Turns out "our" bookstore is going to be selling the nook.  No shocker that they are one of the top 100 stores.  Got to see a plastic version like you'd find on a display at IKEA.  It's exactly as I'd imagined and I'm pretty pleased with my upcoming experiment.  Anywho, it was nice to be out and about with the wife.  We had our usual good time and got a good night's sleep.  Go Team Sleep!

Anybody here on GoodReads who isn't already linked to me over there?  Just checkin'.

< Temporal Gravity | That's like hypnotizing chickens >
on fog | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
'I am' by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 08:22:21 AM EST
I'm only marginally creative but I do quite strongly not want to do my creative things for a living lest they become a chore. But for the day job, I don't normally think 'I am a' but 'I do X for Y'.

I'm an engineer by garlic (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 08:34:53 AM EST
and I love it, but i can understand not.

That whole "I am a" thing. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 08:47:23 AM EST
About all I've ever been able to pin down is that I am not any one thing. Too many non-work passtimes to really nail something down. I envy people that can have a singular pursuit. Probably be easier to actually finish a long-term project when there aren't thirty other long-term projects going on at the same time.

Is there something particularly awesome about the nook? I keep hearing about it, and a number of people are getting them, but nobody ever says why it's so much better than the other offerings out there.

the nook by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 11:21:06 AM EST
i think the hilights are you can change the battery yourself, it does color, and you're not locked in to just B&N's eBooks - it will read just about every other format.  plus, you can "loan" a book to somebody and maybe a few other wanky features.

clock has been going on and on about it since it was announced.

I stopped paying attention to announcements by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 11:32:33 AM EST
ebook readers are a concept I was really, REALLY interested in. But there have been a lot of failures and near failures out there. Enough that I'm very cautious when new ones are announced.

Those do sound like good features though. Can B&N remotely delete books from you without notice? That's the one feature that will prevent me from EVER getting a Kindle.

i have no idea by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 12:48:51 PM EST
i'm not into the eBook thing, myself.

OK, I finally went and looked at their info pages. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 11:41:22 AM EST
It looks awesome. I'll be all pumped for clock to get his new toy too, since I probably won't be buying first-gen anything. If people end up happy with them (and by people, I mean mostly clock and folks around here since I actually trust they won't do the honeymoon lovey-dovey then drop off the map when the problems start), I may plunge. It certainly looks cool. MicroSD expansion, changeable batteries, WIFI and 3G (if you live anywhere but South Dakota, oops), multi-format, color touchscreen, all very cool.

my partner may also by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 10:06:59 PM EST
It should be noted however that she recently got a Droid, and is already a fan of the operating system shared with the Nook.

but not txt? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 11:50:00 AM EST
What's up with that?

If you have a Mac by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 12:01:22 PM EST
Get Calibre to read and convert between various formats.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I am littlestar by littlestar (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 09:51:43 AM EST
that's about it. I have done SO many jobs already, and I'm not ancient yet. I imagine that eventually when I finally finish my degrees I will have a career type moniker to use if I so choose (and I have no doubt that's what people will say "I am") but I won't. I'm just me. I like and do lots of stuff. I sing, I daughter, I listen, I talk, I academic, I bus, I teach, I write, I counsel, I carpenter, I research, I ride, I fix, I clean, I mom, I sister, I wife. I hope to add more things to that in the years to come (like FLY!!!). But, no matter what, I'm just me, which I think is a fine thing to just be. Sometimes I find that people need to "be" something because just being them isn't enough; and, of course, other times people "are" something because that's the one thing they just can't get enough of (which I have to say I have also always been a bit jealous of cause it would make it damned easier to finish one thing if there was more focus).

*twinkle*twinkle*

I am a... by debacle (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 12:21:38 PM EST
I don't know what the fuck I am.

That's alright, right? I mean I have until I'm 30 to choose, right?

Also, women are fucking disgusting. Back when I was working at a grocery store, we had a woman who would come in religiously and do magical things with her bodily fluids and solids in our bathroom.

40 by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 08:22:02 PM EST
trust me.

Click
I am .... by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 02:52:32 PM EST
Day job: I am an engineer.  Like garlic, I enjoy it, and I feel I can say I do something useful.  Sure, there's B.S. and politics and incompetent people above me, but at the end of the day, I've got a cool job doing cool stuff.  However, the niche is small enough I'll not reveal to the masses what I do.  :P

I used to think I was a pilot.  Maybe if the airplane ever gets fixed I'll start to think that again.

Like by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 03:03:58 PM EST
Oops, forgot what site I'm on. I need to pull my battery from my mechanical static sculptor before the cold destroys it.

I let myself ... by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 08:14:45 PM EST
call myself a "writer" when I got a business card with that on it, right between "Technical " and "/Editor." I let myself call myself an "editor" when I was the only person with that title in the whole joint. (In my previous life, I had the word in my title, but there's a threshold that one passes -- though I never did -- when that is your whole title, unmodified. After that, you keep going but then you are Editor++. So what did I used to say? "I work in book publishing." "Oh, what do you do?" "I'm in Editorial.")

Today, Fritz the kid came up to me with a snippet of writing and a question. I read it over, picked up my magic wand (a la Phantom Tollbooth) and with a few strokes in a Zen moment of clarity, made it better. Now that is what I would like to say is my mission in life: to make shit better. My do-ing rather than my be-ing. I know "perfect" is nigh unachievable, but "better" is almost always possible, if not a moral imperative.

Book: wishlisted.

I will throw in a link to my diary about Protemploration, just because.

In conclusion, V this S2 the F'ing FP.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician

wow. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 08:21:35 PM EST
My parents bookstore must be a big one too as they have it.  Sold out of course but they have it.

Click
I am... by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Dec 09, 2009 at 01:40:04 AM EST
A dad, a sailor, a boat repair journeyman, a mead maker, a singer (retired), a pagan witch, a fair shot with bow, rifle, and handgun, a cook, a baker, and a teacher.

Oh, and I do a little management from time to time to pay the bills.

I am by hulver (4.00 / 2) #19 Wed Dec 09, 2009 at 04:03:13 AM EST
A computer guy.

Always have been.

I love writing programs.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

this, by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Dec 09, 2009 at 08:54:17 AM EST
And solving puzzles.

Although, with my current job, I would say I work as a mechanic, and I'm a computer guy other times.

But, being a software mechanic is fun too - the solving puzzles aspect.

on fog | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback