Print Story Stuck inside of Nashville with the intermittent firmware blues
Working life
By georgeha (Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 11:16:27 AM EST) music city, Sirius, discworld (all tags)
Plus new glasses, good weekend, good airplane food, deflated Fat Tire, 12 hours in a beige print room, Panzer Commander, Equal Rites, The Last Stand of Fox Company, Dodge Avenger and less.

Poll: Favorite kind of music?

Airplane food, like the US Post Office, is too easy of a target. I know lots of Conservatives that invoke the Post Office when talking about Health Care Reform, though when pressed, they can't admit any personal problems (do you think FedEx will deliver a 9x12 envelope for under a dollar?). I think it's a bargain, and years of tape and CD trading, and years of ebaying have left me satisfied.

Back in the days, airplane food was an easy target, though nowadays the quality of the mini bags of pretzels and cans of soda is pretty good, which was why I was surprised on my Continental flight to music city that I got a decent mid-morning snack, we're talking spreadable cheese, salami, crackers and trail mix, it's nearly a meal. It's about the only thing close to meal I've eaten on a plane in decades. It wasn't a fluke either, I got the same thing on the way back.

What can I say about my trip other than the usual griping about 10-12 hours days in a loud, beige print room dealing with intermittent firmware problems that can't be recreated because the finicky hardware isn't working? I ended up in a substandard Marriott near Vanderbilt (the pool was outside, the bar didn't serve food, the Wifi was slow) and ended up at TGIF Friday's my first night, since I wasn't sure was around. Did I mention the lack of the usual close restaurants and attractions brochure in the room? They did have Fat Tire on tap, but it was disappointing, with somewhat of a corn taste.

Meals beyond that were okay, with a focus on barbeque, since I was in a good barbeque area, though I never got to a real homey barbeque joint. I did finally get to the Blackstone brewpub across the street, for a good dinner of Kolsch, Nut Brown Ale and trout in between.

In the end, the last data capture for the hard to recreate firmware problem remained uncaptured. We're changing things so that they may not run into it again, who knows.

In book news, I finished a great biography of a good German in WWII, at least in terms of a good German not intentionally killing civilians, trying to protect Jews (his fiancee was 1/8th Jewish) and treating the enemy honorably. That good German was Hans von Luck, in Panzer Commander, detailing his training, fighting in Poland, France, Russia, North Africa, Normandy, the Maginot Line and the final battles near Berlin, after which he ended up in a soviet POW camp for five years. While the bar is low for a good German soldier in WWII, von Luck seemed to be comfortably above it.

In other book news, I picked up an early Discworld book, Equal Rites. I think it was the third book written. In it, a little girl, Escarina, the eight daughter of an eigth son, mistakenly inherits a wizard's power. Granny Weatherwax helps her to come to grips with this, and deals with the wizards of the Unseen University, who find the idea of a female wizard inconceivable. Dang, Granny Weatherwax is powerful.

In final book news, I bought The Last Stand of Fox Company at a Nashville Hudson News, I thought about the Elvis and Opry tee shirts, but passed. It's about a company of Marines in the Korean War who held onto a hill south of the Chosin Reservoir, and held off hordes of Commie Chinese, at least 3,000, maybe 5,000.

The week's ride was a big white Dodge Avenger. It had Sirius radio, so I kept it on 32, The Dead, all week long. It was so-so, getting back into my Tercel was like being reborn, I love that small, zippy, growling thing.

It was a good weekend getting reacquainted with my family. I finally replaced my glasses, I now have roundish horn-rimmed Lacoste ones, in a sort of tortoiseshell, pictures to come. Call me preppy. We also baked bread (twice, the dog got a load the first time, it was for thirteen year old's science class) and kegged my spicy ale.

< Hm | The weekend that was. >
Stuck inside of Nashville with the intermittent firmware blues | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
loud beige by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 11:24:15 AM EST
The color of server rooms across the land.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I wish it were just servers, ever here a folder? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 11:28:26 AM EST
I imagine they sound like an SAW (where's MNS when we need him?), RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT.

Like the Old School line printers? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 12:18:26 PM EST
We had one in college. Hooked up to the Vaxes.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Like that, but louder by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 12:22:02 PM EST
this time, the plate makers were in a different room I didn't have to go through, so I wasn't breathing solvents all day.

Excuse me by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Dec 09, 2009 at 09:06:01 AM EST
but the plural of VAX is "vaxen".

/me plays the Big Iron card by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 03:49:41 AM EST
Lead operator on a Goss double 3:2 metroliner* for a few years. Also The Interwebs have everything.

*with balloon formers & 8 towers: 2 4x4, 2 2x2 & 4 singles as I recall. Full auto reels on the bottom story. Cat walks up top on both sides. I guess that would make it 4 story?

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

You were in Music Row. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 01:39:23 PM EST
We ate at Jack's again last night. It's a great BBQ joint on Broadway. You should definitely check it out the next time you're in town.
Last night was our last night in TN, we're on our way to KY now.

Who knows, there may never be a next time by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 01:42:45 PM EST
but I'll consider it.

Try the pulled pork or the turkey. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 01:49:12 PM EST
We've eaten there nearly every day. Wish we were in an Avenger right now!

Pulled pork was Wednesday's lunch by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 01:52:22 PM EST
at Famous Daves, along with catfish, and then Thursday's lunch at Jason's Deli.

Tuesday night was ribs at Fridays.

Try to book a room at by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 02:06:52 PM EST
Gaylord Opryland Resort, adjacent to Opry Mills Mall. The Conservatory area is off the hook. I'll try to pstpix when I can.

I would prefer to be south of the city by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 02:10:27 PM EST
though due to coporate policy, I passed lots of places in say, Brentwood that I couldn't register for since they weren't a preferred vendor.

So, unless I have a very good reason, it's Marriot or Doubletree or Hyatt.

Doubletree downtown is convenient by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 03:29:17 PM EST
to the District. Thought about staying there, but just ended up thinking about Mitch Hedberg instead.