Print Story on a day off
By clock (Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 11:26:23 AM EST) (all tags)
I can haz dayz off.

I got back to work after a nice turkey day and discovered that I had not 2 but 4 days to take before the end of the year.  Today is one of them.  Then I'll take off next Friday through Tuesday since I can't get any days around X-mas/New Years.  Gotta be captain of the ghost ship at work.  At least it will be quiet and I can play pinball on my iPhone all day.  Not that it matters.

It was great having my sis-in-law and her brood in town.  A few fun stories from the week?  Don't mind if I do.

My newphew gives everyone super hero names.  His baby sister is Wonder Woman and his dad's parents are Green Lantern.  The Dude is The Hulk.  How fitting that is I can't begin to tell you.  Let's just say that "HULK SMASH!" is one of his favorite sayings.  So we were sitting around the dinner table at the inlaws and my S-i-L asked him what super hero Uncle Clock was.  He looked at me for a minute and said "Wolverine!"  Yeah, that does make me cooler than 99% of the rest of the world.

My S-i-L's husband (think about it...we're not related in any way...we'll just call him Uncle A from now on) is the fulltime parent.  As a result, my niece is all about the big, hairy, smelly guys.  She loves her some Uncle Clock.  She's smiley and sweet.  But huge.  Really, really huge.

The entire week passed without the inlaws knowing that I had taken every day off.  I spent most of the time in the garage.  I finished up the lute and almost got the guitar finished.  Had to strip the back and sides down to wood again because the stain didn't play nice with the lacquer.  Actually, I think I fucked something up.  But it's all good.  It's a learning thing.  I'm pretty stoked about finishing the project.  Then I can get another one in the pipe.

Need to practicy my lute-ing.  Pick a tuning and some pieces.  I'd forgotten what a PITA courses tuned in unison are.

For applying some of the spray lacquer I wore my goggles and respirator.  I was walking back into the house and The Dude woke from his nap on the couch for 10 seconds, stared at me with a puzzled look, and went back to sleep as though it had all been just a silly dream.  I love hanging out with him.

The most amusing part of the inlaws "not knowing" I was off was that I did things all week that would have clued a sane person in.  First, I watched The Dude while Stacky went to a girly lunch with her mom and sis.  What?  Did they think she dropped him at my office?  And then there was taking my car to the mechanic in the middle of the day.  Dude, I don't ditch work at the drop of a hat to drive all over hell and half of Georgia to get my car fixed.  Doesn't matter.  I had a nice, quiet week of getting my shit done and feeling good about it.

Turkey day was good. Spent time with my favorite cousin-in-law and ate good food.  An awesome time was had by all.

I've been in the studio a lot lately.  I have a goodly number of tunes that are in various stages of completion.  I'm also getting people to sing for me.  A couple of husites.  Good people, that lot.  I've had success connecting with a Canukistani with a gorgeous voice.  We'll have something to share soon.  It feels great to sit down in my space and work knowing that something good will just happen.  Results soon.  Right now, I'm having a load of fun.

As I type, The Dude is building a lego tower that is quite impressive.  He keeps knocking it over and rebuilding.  A better parent wouldn't let him stand on that little chair in front of the coffee table, but Stacky is out and about so I'm all we've got.  Sometimes I look up and think, "HOLY FUCK!  I'm THE Dad!  WHO LET THAT HAPPEN?!?!!?!"  Being a dad is amazing and will wig your shit right out.  Best gig out there and I mean it.

Anxiously awaiting my nook.  It's nice to get geeked about a gadget once in a while.  This is twice in one year for being stoked about widgets.  That means the next decade will be slow for me techwise.  I probably won't care or notice.

A fountain pen and a good notebook will feed your soul.  Seriously.  Try it.  It works.

Tomorrow night my dad is keeping The Dude.  We'll see how that goes.  The Old Man is nervous and that's lame.  He and The Dude go to bed at 8 and get up and o'dark thrirty.  They're a match made in Heaven.

Now it's time to think about getting out into the garage.  It's nice and cool out.  Had some wispy snowflakes this morning.  As a result, there's a WINTER STORM WARNING for this zone.  Meh.  Shit isn't going to accumulate but these fuckers will piss and moan about it being close to freezing outside.  I miss the snot freezing to my face and the complaints you get with cold that you can't get with heat.  Anyway, it's a good day not to drive to work.

< Daughter. | I never seem to get anything done on Friday >
on a day off | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It's all relative. by atreides (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 11:45:58 AM EST
Here, half an inch of snow will shut down the city. I'm sure where you come from, half an inch means it's spring...

We've had a few flakes fall already today. Not enough to see on the ground, but enough to see falling if you look.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

agreed. by clock (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 11:59:30 AM EST
Mostly, it reminds me of how much I miss really, really cold weather.  Having to squint to see a flake is depressing for a Viking living in the jungle.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Anxiously awaiting my nook. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 11:55:42 AM EST
Me too. Ships on Friday. Already downloaded a load of free ebooks from gutenberg, baen, and a couple other places. Some paid ones to read on vacation too. Now if they would just get their digital newspaper/magazine store up and running...

She loves her some Uncle Clock.
Must. Resist. Temptation to say something really wrong.

drive all over hell and half of Georgia to get my car fixed.
You have to drive all over Texas, and then to Georgia to get your car fixed? What are you driving?

We're expecting an inch of snow here. I expect carnage on the roads.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

did it all for the nook-ie by clock (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 12:03:01 PM EST
A re-read would have been good, eh?  Hmmm.

Anything in Houston is a 45 minute drive.  To get to my mechanic is like two of those.  That and I get confused on the loop and sometimes wonder if I'm not in another state.

My nook ships on the 18th.  I'm holding off on some books since I can get them much less expensively as ebooks and I'm excited to see how I react to abandoning the physical artifact that is a book.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

there are a lot of by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 12:18:50 PM EST
"boy, if here were an inch over that way, we'd be in the ER getting stitches now" moments in my life.

i'm just waiting. by clock (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 12:28:21 PM EST
I had probably a dozen stitches before I was in first grade.  oaf babies are not very coordinated, don't know their own strength, and tend to overestimate their agility.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

next time by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 08:20:49 PM EST
you xmas shop and i'll stay home!  ha!

people go to stores in 2009? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 10:33:55 PM EST

Click
if by "store" you mean... by clock (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 11:02:06 PM EST
over to some lady's house to buy a bicycle for a little boy, then, um, yeah.  but I wouldn't call that a store...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

well no by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #10 Sat Dec 05, 2009 at 12:14:58 AM EST
that's clearly not shopping. that's recycling.

Click
I dream by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Dec 05, 2009 at 09:43:26 AM EST
of a week like that. I get no real time off unless I leave the house. CBB does try to give that to me but the children are used to coming to me for things and it's hard for them to understand that I'm here but unavailable.
That is so cool that you are making a lute. I would love to make instruments. Popsicle and I have started designing an inlay for her guitar, which her Grandpa is slowly making for her. Neat-o mosquito!
Gonna try to find time today to make some music, been thinking about it a lot, have to sing something soon.

*twinkle*twinkle*