Print Story It was cold today.
By dev trash (Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 09:03:58 PM EST) (all tags)
Global Climate change sucks.

I got up around 8, with intentions of going to the farmer's market and then heading back to my apartment.  Except that when I looked outside I saw that the roads were again covered in snow and it was still snowing.  So back to bed for a bit.

It cleared up after lunch so I took my Mom out to the farmer's market.  I got a half gallon of cider and a quart of sauerkraut for the New Year's day.  Then we went to the shoe factory outlet, I was looking for a pair of boots, but they didn't have anything in my size or style.  There were a pair of steel toed oxfords in my size but not really what I wanted.

Then it was off to Wal-mart.  I had a gift card and Mom wanted to shop.  As we were pulling in, I heard a fire whistle.  As we got out of the car and walked in Mom saw a lady laying on the ground with a coat on top of her.  As we walked into the store the manager was telling someone that a customer had been hit by a car.  For whatever reason they had dispatched a firetruck and an ambulance.

I spent my giftcard on a Ice Tea maker.  Leaf or bag compatible.  I'm excited. Almost got an air popper but I drink tea more than I make pop corn.

The driveway is icy.

So I'm thinking maybe I should give the 'join a church and meet someone nice' suggestion my friend uh suggested to me.  That's the thing though, which church.

Anyway, off to bed, wanna get on the road as early as possible tomorrow.

< @#$@# tweaked shoulder in shower. | Not sure where I've been >
It was cold today. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Which church? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 09:07:56 PM EST
One that promulgates something you actually believe?

It's nice to see such an old fashioned view by lm (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 09:19:21 PM EST
These days it's hard to find a congregation where the majority of congregants care what they believe.

Cicero, The Republic
Fit for the purpose by marvin (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 11:24:52 PM EST
It`s possible to find them. They`re probably not going to be a mainline congregation, they are less likely to have a drum kit on stage, and they probably don`t buy into all of the latest fads, such as the Willow Creek movement.

If people are looking for a social club, there are a plethora of organizations out there that are designed for that, from golf courses to the Lions and Kinsmen.

Same with dating - if someone going to church with the objective of finding a mate, then they're doing it wrong. Go to eharmony or whatever.

Attending church is an awfully tedious chore for someone who doesn`t believe. It was for me when I was a teenager.

but some congregations /want/ to be social clubs by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 05:10:11 AM EST
And of those that aren't, I don't think that I would have the audacity to tell a member going for the social aspects that they're doing it wrong anymore than I'd tell the folks I know back in Cincy that go to the Latin mass for the entirely for the aesthetic beauty of the service that they're doing it wrong. A church, much like a small city, is built of all different types of people with all sorts of different motivations.

Cicero, The Republic
they're doing it wrong.. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 08:24:45 AM EST
well.. that's the usual joke from our pastor -- what makes this|your|that church different from the Lions or Rotary that Marvin mentions.. While there is an important social aspect to church, there is a more important holy aspect..

That's something I never understood. by greyshade (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 10:25:47 AM EST
The whole "go to church to meet a nice girl" thing? It makes no sense to me.  I always wonder how it is supposed to work after you meet someone.

Sunday:
her : Almost ready for church?
me: eeehhh... I'm just going to have a beer and watch the game today.
her: But we should go to mass!
me: I just went there to pick up chicks, and I've got you now so...

Seems like it would mesh out better taking up a social sport/activity you enjoy.  At least then when you meet someone, you know you have at least some common ground instead of starting off knowing there is at least one thing you don't see eye-to-eye on.  I would suggest a friend to use an internet dating service before I told them to cruise the churches for chicks, and I'm close to the last person to suggest using internet matchmaking.  I'm a big fan of just walking out the front door and meeting people.

How would you know why there are there by marvin (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 11:50:43 AM EST
I agree that it would be rather presumptuous to determine, all by oneself, what exactly motivates someone to go, or what they actually believe deep down in their heart (ie, beyond what they say). I don't talk about it much with anyone myself. If someone is acting disruptively in a way that makes it apparent that they should not be there (ie, outbursts of swearing during the sermon that would make a sailor blush, etc), then I would probably find the audacity somewhere in me.

Your view of the church is odd. I always thought it was a group of people bound together in a common belief, with a shared motivation of fulfilling the great commission. But then I'm not a masters student or anything, just some fundie.

I don't think my view is that odd by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 02:39:57 PM EST
If you want to start a strict and technical discussion, the first distinction I would make would be between churches and religious movements with the former being superior to the latter and not every group that claims to belong to the former category belonging to it. If we were to allow this distinction to be made, my point would probably become one that you could agree with. Not every religious organization that meets on Sunday mornings is a church. Consequently, presuming that the purpose of all of institutional gatherings on Sunday mornings is to be a church is misguided at best.

But I don't think in most discussions such a distinction is useful. I don't think most people in the English speaking world would make that distinction. Hence, people colloquially referring to a mosque as an Islamic church or a Synagogue as a Jewish church. And even among those that do make that distinction, bringing the distinction up mostly ends up in squabbles over just what it means to be a church. Catholic bishops, for example, don't allow that the Anglicans or Evangelical Fundamentalists go to church. Most Fundamentalists (or at least the traditional ones that tend to describe the Church of Rome as the Great Whore of Babylon) return the favor and say that what the Catholics do is not church. Meanwhile other groups have such broad definitions that just about anything counts as a church.

Further, I'd argue that most folks in the US don't really care about this distinction. The US isn't a land where the doctrine of a group is traditionally all that important of a factor. The ongoing Pew studies of belief in the US are an excellent example of what I mean. Quite a few people in the US hold contradictory beliefs when it comes to religion. My favorite of these groups is the 5% or so of self-described atheists that believe in the existence of God.

I would agree with your point about swearing like a sailor in the middle of the service but I think such behavior is a rather extreme example.

Cicero, The Republic
eharmony by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 06:49:54 PM EST
that place got me more action than anything.  But at 80 bucks a month, it was not really what I wanted.

Click
that'd be hard. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 06:45:46 PM EST
If I found THAT church, it'd probably just be me.

Click
depends on whose ambulance it was by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 10:18:56 PM EST
some fire departments send an actual fire truck out when they send out their ambulance. So, if it was the fire ambulance, you get a fire truck escort.
---------
seems wasteful by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 06:47:35 PM EST
and since a lot of the fire depts in PA are volunteer, it irks me.

Click
Universal Unitarian is what you want. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 10:41:58 PM EST
Avoid the Buddhists, they're assholes.

they're only trying to help you.. by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 11:04:20 AM EST
understand suffering.

Yes. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 12:44:55 PM EST
I heard Pol Pot was pretty good at that.

Become a pagan by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 04:49:09 AM EST
Plenty of nubile skyclad birds plus normally some drugs there.

I dunno by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 06:48:58 PM EST
The local pagans are well they're not at all like that.

Click
Fire truck and ambulance by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 06:33:12 AM EST
I'm sure there was a cop there as well.  Tiered response.  Send everyone and sort out the details on scene.

wasteful by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 06:54:20 PM EST

Click
Overcoverage to ensure necessary coverage by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Dec 31, 2009 at 10:06:18 AM EST
 Because you never know quite what you're going to run into.  Wasteful from a purely monetary standpoint, not so much from a  getting-the-job-done standpoint.

It was cold today. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback