Print Story Merry Christmas
Misc.
By FlightTest (Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 05:59:43 PM EST) (all tags)
Put the FSM back in Chrifsmas!

Karma must be biting me for having 80 degree days while a large portion of USizicstania suffers under snow.

Leaving the house yesterday, stopped to put the garage door down.  It had been "bouncing" a lot lately, going right back up after it went down, which I attributed to the down stop needing adjustment.  Yeah, it wasn't that.  The door got to about 2 or 3 feet from down, then slammed down the rest of the way.  Not good.  Pushing button to put door up not surprisingly didn't do anything.  Went into garage through side door, the coil spring is broken.  We had wanted to replace the garage door, just not quite yet.  However, we are going to replace the whole kit at this point anyways rather then just the coil spring.

Then today, I washed my glasses and put them on, and all was well.  A few minutes later I got into the car and then there seemed to be something in my field of vision.  Take glasses off to clean them and notice one lens is now cracked!  No clue how that happened.  I know they weren't cracked right after I washed them because I held them up to the light to make sure they weren't streaked.  Geh.

Teh Apache is 50% better, the left engine now starts.  Throttle cable still needs adjusting, I get 50% power from about 10% movement of the throttle.  But I knew when I had the shop replace them that the shop wouldn't be able to adjust them since there were no mags in it at the time.  The right engine would only backfire while cranking.  We'll double check that we got the mag timed right and that all the wires go all the right places, but it's also possible the throttle position is wildly misset.  The throttle control hits the low stop so I don't know if the arm on the carb is going all the way back to the idle stop or not. Need to check that as well, that engine was never happy starting above a very low idle.  There's a couple other issues it could be as well.  Mechanic is back in the country for a while, so i'm hopeful of getting it going before he leaves for Angola again.

Speaking of mechanic, he managed to get his russian girlfriend pregnant.  He's like 30ish years her senior.  However she seems happy, her parents are happy to be getting a grandchild, and she gets 3 years (yes, YEARS) maternity leave at 50% of her pay (She teaches english) so she's not particularly worried.  It doesn't sound like she wants to come to the U.S. to have the kid either, I always thought she was trying to become a U.S. citizen but that doesn't seem to be the case.  What a mid 20's russian girl sees in a mid 50's overweight and perpetually broke american, I sure don't know.

Lets see, what else?  Several trips to Kingman, AZ for $project.   Had Critical Design Review for $project last week, that went well and got me out of our company christmas party, which every year pretty much sucks, but is mandatory (being as it's on company time in the parking lot of our production facility) if you don't have a customer commitment.   Last year I at least escpaed the "food", we had a telcon that went over lunch so we got lunch catered in, but it ended shortly thereafter so I had to go over.  This year the CDR lasted until the party was over and the honchos had let everyone else go home, small price to pay.
< Is that my cow? | The wrapping is done. >
Merry Christmas | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm overweight, broke, in my mid-forties and by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 06:12:53 PM EST
seeing a gal in her mid-twenties, so I sure am getting a kick out of your story!

pix? -nt by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 08:45:27 PM EST

/me almost posts a Facebook link. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 09:04:21 PM EST
But then thinks that'd be out of order.

good thinking by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 09:10:19 PM EST

pm me by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 11:25:51 PM EST
or not. i don't care.

I have come to the conclusion that by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 06:29:34 AM EST
age difference relationships work because the older person is grateful and therefore puts more effort into keeping it going. When you're the same age you're pretty sure you can score something just as good tomorrow if this one doesn't work out.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
My current squeeze is a decade younger than myself by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 12:00:45 PM EST
The effort I'm putting in has less to do with age difference and more to do with "I think this girl is amazing".  The other relationship I had with a younger woman a few years back, I actually put very little effort into because I figured it wouldn't last.

I have a different theory by dmg (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 03:21:02 PM EST
And it's based on evolutionary psychology.
If you're feeling grateful, be careful to ensure this does not start to manifest itself as betaness [NSFW!]. It's the kiss of death!

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Meh, we're both grateful. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 12:11:35 AM EST
She's grateful that I tutored her for multiple orgasms, and I'm grateful that she *likes* my snoring.

"right" engine? "left" engine? by houser2112 (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 09:24:50 AM EST
Dumbing it down for those who aren't (aero)nautically inclined?

Errrr...... by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 09:31:51 AM EST
It's a twin engine airplane.  The right engine is the engine on the right (or starboard, if you're so inclined) wing, and the left engine is the engine on the left (port) wing.

I am so inclined by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 09:45:18 AM EST
I thought it was odd for a pilot to use "right" and "left" instead of "starboard" and "port".

O.I.C. by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 10:20:07 AM EST
I'm rather dense this morning apparently.  Despite the usage of nautical miles and knots, "right" and "left" are used almost exclusively.  I can't remember seeing "starboard" or "port" in any documentation, pilot manuals, aircraft maintenance manuals, or airframe/engine logs.

I'm a moron by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 10:26:01 AM EST
After re-reading your comment like 5 times I finally read what you wrote, instead of what my brain decided to read.

I blame stress.

i'm still confused. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 02:56:04 PM EST

OK by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 11:53:21 AM EST
In the nautical world, the right side of the ship (when facing forward) is the "starboard" side, and the left side is the "port" side.  I was under the impression that airplanes worked the same way (extrapolating from the fact that airplanes have green and red lights on the ends of the starboard and port wings, like boats have on the respective side gunwales).  FlightTest has now led me to believe that I was incorrect.

Merry Christmas | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback