Print Story Anyone know about genealogy software?
Software
By atreides (Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 11:22:55 PM EST) (all tags)
Cause I'm looking for some...

The most important thing about it is that it has to be able to manage malleable relationships and odd family connections. For instance, I got a copy of the free software the Mormons offer, but it doesn't handle certain common situations well such as multiple marriages or siblings who have the same father but not the same mother. It sure doesn't cover someone raised by one family but actually related by blood to another.

I am accepting recommendations. Hopefully it will be cheap/free/torrentable. Thanks!

< Bring Back Paddling | I'm drinking a quart of egg nog. >
Anyone know about genealogy software? | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I use family tree maker by theboz (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 06:44:42 AM EST
It's not perfect, but it can handle those situations, albeit in a way that isn't always easily visible.
- - - - -
FTM has been going downhill by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 07:43:11 AM EST
Or so says my father, who switched to doing genealogy research/publishing fulltime for several years after retiring. It's probably still pretty good, but it wants to tie you into their own website and has a distinct "all your data belong to us" attitude.

I suspect that it is the best for small projects, but when a former fanatic turns against a project, that is telling.

Wumpus

What does he suggest? by theboz (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 07:53:10 AM EST
I actually like having FTM tied in with Ancestry.com and being able to search the data of other people (although you can set permissions on it.)  The interface isn't completely intuitive when dealing with situations like multiple spouses and divorce, and I wish there was a better mapping feature than the one they include, but I haven't seen any software that I felt was better at this point.  If there is one that your dad likes better, I would be very interested in finding out what it is.
- - - - -
Suggest? by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 08:32:38 AM EST
My father is one of those poor "nerds without skillz" who was fortunate to raise somebody capable of showing up twice a year to say hi and fix his computer. I bought him FTM long, long ago and I don't think he can figure out how to google anything else. I'll look into it over Christmas, but I'm wouldn't really expect to be able to export all his data (the mind boggles at the gigabytes) or for him to learn another system.

Wumpus

Visio? by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 07:05:15 AM EST
NT

silly boy by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 09:24:45 AM EST
of course the mormon's don't care about your un-american commie pinko hippie non-normal upbringing. Such things destroy the fabric of society.

Did you hear what they did in Salt Lake City? by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 10:08:50 AM EST
They approved benefits for same-sex partners of city workers.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

So if government workers are getting it now by debacle (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 10:14:14 AM EST
Private sector workers should see the same benefit in about 100 years, eh?

take that by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 10:14:47 AM EST
you conniving hypocritical fornicating sodomite pinko prop-9 hippies in CA.

It's California's fault. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 12:07:16 PM EST
No, really. The church was put in a delicate position by its overt support for Proposition 8 - it tried to sell that support as "we're not against gay people, we're just against gay marriage."

After it passed, activists started pushing them to put their money where their mouth was.

back in the day by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 09:09:00 PM EST
It used to be Brother's Keeper was the shiznit. Then they made a windows version. Family Tree Maker is okay.

Click
GEDCOM the important file format by jaxom green (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Dec 03, 2009 at 10:50:56 AM EST
I'm not into doing the work to track down family relationships, but a friend of the family has done a TON of the work and offered the data to me as long as I could prove I had software that could use her data.  I found GRAMPS, lifelines and ftree as free linux genealogy software.  I installed GRAMPS and was able to open the data file and add some information about my wife's family, including some less than traditional family relationships.

GEDCOM is a file format that appears to be the standard, although my understanding is that GEDCOM is not actually standard from vendor to vendor for all data entered.