Print Story And it's like a brand new day.
By dev trash (Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 07:13:01 PM EST) (all tags)
What a day it has been.
Well okay not that dramatic.  But still.

I slept at the foot of the bed last night, because getting out of bed on my right side was well it was hard.  So I figured that getting out on my left side would be easier.  I had a Tylenol PM, and I fell asleep with no pain.  This was good.  I woke up around 3, no pain, but wide awake!  I tried getting back to sleep, but each time I tried to roll over and get comfy I had some pain.  Of course I did get a bit of deep sleep about 40 minutes before the alarm went off.

Got up.  Showered.  Pain was there.  Tried to go to bathroom, out of habit really and pain in leg bad, so up and into bed, as laying down good.  This was not looking very good though.  I couldn't take a break after every morning routine activity.  I got up from this break and decided to tackle socks.  Left foot was okay.  Right foot.  That took some time.  Pants were easy.  Shoes were, well they were not as hard as the socks, plus they were still tied, they never woulda got tied otherwise.

I was not feeling confident that I'd make it through the day at work, as I can't really lay down in the office.  I get every thing ready and get in the car.  Not bad.  Driving not so bad.  Get to work and shuffle into the office.  And shuffle is what I was doing.

I had told myself that I would try to make it to 10 before taking an Aleve.  I made it to 8:19.  Took one, and then took another at 8:40.  By 9:15 it was working, but there was still enough pain that I was reminded to call the therapy place.  The call was pretty simple, he had an opening tomorrow.  He was surprised I wanted to come in at 7:30.

Around 10:30 leg pain is still there in the background.  Back pain though is gone.  I had switched chairs again after taking the Aleve because I had noticed while at the Urgent Care I was really comfy in the firm plush chairs they had.  Ones with really good lumbar support.  So luckily we had one of those in the office.

By 2:30 ( when the Christmas hams came in ) I noticed that I was able to stand up with zero stiffness at all.  Leg pain was pretty much gone.  Walking was normal, no shuffling.

At 5:30, after getting home, I laid down, as I am wont to do anyway, and was able to get outta bed easily. To press my luck, I bent over and picked up an envelope on the floor.  Done with ease.  Then I crossed my legs, like I would do to put on shoes etc.  With ease, no pain, no stiffness.

Aleve lasts 8-12 hours according to the label, so perhaps the pain is till being muffled but I've not been able to bend like I did tonight even on pain meds.

I'm keeping the therapy appointment, even to just get some pointers on the exercises the doctor recommended I do to help strengthen the muscles back there.

I wish I could tell what exactly made my back better after lunch.  Perhaps the chair change and the sleeping on a different part of the bed helped.

The last week has been so depressing.  I had been losing weight and exercise was one of the reasons.  If I was unable to exercise, well I'd just get fatter.  And nobody wants that.  Not that I'm gonna start exercising hardcore now.  I am still a little apprehensive about moving too quickly but yeah.

< Let's get this party started right. | Achtung Beantown Heretics! >
And it's like a brand new day. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
PT by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 07:43:33 PM EST
Physical therapy is painful. You have to stick with it though or it will never end. They'll tell you what you need to do, and you'd better do it!
well by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 08:26:40 PM EST
if I don't show up after the first appt.

Click
PT can mean pain and torture by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 09:58:43 PM EST
It certainly was with my ankle rehab. The PT for my childbirth injury (nerve pinch resulting in foot drop) was fine. It depends. Either way, totally worth it. If I hadn't done the ankle rehab, I would not be able to be in shape to test for my first belt in TKD on Friday.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

hmmm by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 09:34:56 PM EST
He did ask if I'd had foot drop.  I've not.  But I have had tingly and numbness.  Mostly pain though.

Click
show up. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 11:55:49 AM EST
not showing up is a good way to guarantee that you remain crippled for life.
And the PT will likely place hands very close by debacle (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 08:40:56 PM EST
To your junk. This is either a totally awful or pretty cool thing.

AWFUL by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 09:40:10 PM EST
as the PT is a guy, who I pegged for gay curious, but then he was all about the wife and kids.  So who knows.

Click
i tend to notice by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 10:00:04 PM EST
that if i'm in a lot of pain when i wake up, it starts to feel a little better by 10, moreso by noon, and then it starts to come back around 5 or 6. Doc agrees, body is stiff when getting up, limbers up during the middle of the day, and then gets tired toward the end of the day.
---------
Do yourself a favour by me0w (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 08:20:48 AM EST
Instead of sitting on a normal chair, use an exercise ball (appropriate for your height). Sitting on a hard surface will put a higher compressive load on the spine, plus it will force you to use core muscles for stabilization.

Would a space hopper do? by Herring (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 10:21:29 AM EST
And where can I get some documentation to prove to my employer that it is medically necessary.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Fuck That Noize. Do what she says. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 03:10:33 PM EST
Any sporting goods store will carry what she described.
Better to ask forgiveness blahblahblah . . .

hmmmm by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 09:41:23 PM EST
wonder if I can get the PT to sign off on that.

Click