Print Story My favorite type of beer is free, followed by more
Drink
By georgeha (Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 10:02:06 AM EST) steppes, beer, cash for caulking (all tags)
Plus Stalingrad, a*hole drivers, heart attack snow, plastic, XX/XY and less.

A while ago (a decade maybe?) my parents got me into a consumer focus group, where once or twice a year I'll spend an hour or two talking about radio, web sites, TV's, whatever, and then get $50 - $100 for my time and opinions. Imagine, a nice chunk of cash for spouting my ignorant opinions, I feel like Rush!

I haven't heard from them in a long time, until last week, when they asked if I liked beer, and how! But, they were looking for Genny light drinkers, or something like that. While one of my favorite breweries is Genessee/High Falls, it's because they make Dundee, though I will buy Genny Cream if funds are tight. So, they couldn't fit me into their profile, but they found one a week later. It would have been a hard fit, several hours on a Thursday, which is Girl Scout night. So now I get an hour tonight week, I hope I get to drink beer.

Of course, Thursday we got three inches of heart attack snow, making for heavy shoveling and crappy driving. That was also the day I was trying to return an ebay item that was shipped poorly, and the wrong color, so my hands were full when I opened the trunk and said heart attack snow slid into my trunk, joy. The package was $35 for express mail, because it was so big, the ahole better refund that, since he made the mistake.

In other weather news, I plastic'ed our upstairs windows. I don't usually do this until after Christmas, but they're predicting lows in the teens at the end of the week.

In crappy driver news, the first blast of winter weather makes people forget to drive. On the drive home last night, people insisted on going into the intersection even if there was no room for them past the intersection, resulting in me having to thread my way past their cars to turn left. A*holes.

In other crappy driver news, I got hit in the grocery parking lot one night. The bozo backed into a silver car that was behind him, after the silver car backed up, I tried to get out, and he backed right into me. I chased him down as he drove around to yell at him, it was like talking to Mr. Magoo. "I hit your car, really?"

I didn't see any damage, my car is already dented, but what an asshole.

The music city problem is no longer occurring, the local team thought I fixed it just by laying hands on it. I wish I had that sort of power, I'd be laying hands on my carburetor.

In book news, I read Antony Beevor's Stalingrad, a good seasonal read about the Nazi Huns trying to capture

Stalingrad, and then finding out that there were lots and lots more Commie Russkis than they thought, and they're counter-attacking. Beevor did a great job of placing the block by block fighting in Stalingrad in the context of the whole 1942 campaign.

In other media news, we watched a little of XX/XY. You'd think a movie about attractive college students having a threesome and other variations on sex would be gripping and entertaining, but you'd think wrong. Mrs. Ha said it was like a foreign film, it was so hard to follow. The characters are poorly developed, and you really don't care about any of them. The second half of the movie, when the guy (Ruffalo) is in a stable relationship with his girlfriend and working as a commercial animator, only to be reunited with his college flings might have been better, be we stopped watching it after that.

< oh dear god | My long weekend >
My favorite type of beer is free, followed by more | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Music City FTW by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 10:34:29 AM EST
Man, I really felt at home in that place. Much more so than Bowling Green.

Also: As a keen student of military history, I can state that the Battle of Stalingrad hits my "Top 5 List of Battles I Am Glad I Did Not Attend."

I've been losing my poll mojo by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 10:40:45 AM EST
but hey, that's a good one.

Let's see, Dien Bien Phu, Warsaw, Khe San, Cassino, Arnhem, Ypres, Somme, Verdun, Vickburg, heh, there's a bunch.

Music City felt like home to me, because I went to high school in the suburbs, and spent most of my time in the suburbs there (Cool Springs). Granted, I can't see the need to fly seven hours just to see Office Depot, Starbucks and McDonald's.

I'd walk 100 miles for a Waffle House visit by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 11:23:39 AM EST
and then walk 100 miles back to work off the visit.

I didn't get to Waffle House by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 11:24:44 AM EST
I did get to Famous Dave, I was wondering about them since seeing them in Richmond.

I went to FD's here in WA by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 11:33:13 AM EST
and got food poisoning for my effort. We visited Dave & Buster's at Opry Mills, as I've been teased by their cable tv ads for years, but I wasn't impressed by their games nor their fudz. The bowling alley was a nice touch, but we still have them out West.

No Waffle Houses in Nash Vegas by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 11:36:46 AM EST
when you were a lad? Really? They seem ubiquitous in Dixie.

Nash Vegas, say what? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 11:42:16 AM EST
I spent my lad hood 23 south of Buffalo, NY, with frequent trips to backwoods Pennsy, neither of which was south of the M-D line.

Och! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 02:50:24 PM EST
I read "most of my time" as "most of my time [in high school]".

OIC by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 02:55:01 PM EST
An easy mistake to make, given the context.

xx was much better by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 11:00:37 AM EST
before xy came along. Small hands play better..

I've known too many lesbians by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 11:10:04 AM EST
to want to dwell on that. The ones I know looked nothing like the gals in the movie.