Print Story Don't you hate when debacle is right?
By dev trash (Mon Dec 14, 2009 at 08:28:00 PM EST) (all tags)
So I went to urgent care today.

Took my last sick day of the year and made it to the urgent care at 3.  Took me two times to get a proper shower.  Of course I get there just as the high school on the same street is letting out.  So that was fun.

Waited about 40 minutes to be waited on, and then 20 more minutes to see the doctor.  Wait.  No.  Med Student.  She was cute though, and knew her stuff.  Bedside manner needs some work.

My temp was 98.7.
My heart rate was 68
My blood pressure, well it seemed a bit high so the nurse got the big cuff, and it was then 158/88, she seemed okay with that, I dunno what 'good' is pressure wise.

Doctor comes in.  She has me explain what's wrong.  I tell her.  She asks if I had injuries etc.  No.  She asks what the pain is like 0-10.  I say 5, with some spikes to 6-7. She asks what it is at the moment.  It was a 5.  In fact I felt as good as I had felt all day in the dr's office.

She has me stand up and bend over and touch my toes.  I can't  I've never been able to. So I bend as far as I can and the pain it comes back.  She presses on my spine, about 1/3 of the way up and asks if that is where the pain is located.  I tell her no, lower.  She moves her hand down the spine til I say that it's right above the butt where the pain is located.

She describes some sort of condition where part of the spine curves the wrong way and how the other parts try to compensate.  There is a tightening of the muscle on the right side of the spine.

So one of the issues is my weight, like a fulcrum she said.  She also said my glutes are strong.

Her recommendation is physical therapy, Motrin and ice.  The ice helps.  Let's hope that the physical therapy does as well, like I said I used my last sick day today.

Just took a Tylenol PM, so off to bed then.

< Where is that folder? | Finally started Atlas Shrugged. >
Don't you hate when debacle is right? | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Adult male is normally 120/80 by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Dec 14, 2009 at 11:47:38 PM EST
However, if you're stressed out during your visit, the number on top will be higher.

stressed by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 06:28:27 PM EST
Always worry when I go to the doctor.  Plus I was in pain pain pain.

Click
Hi by me0w (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 12:37:43 AM EST
The condition she was talking about was probably scoliosis (from what you have described). However, that doesn't typically cause acute pain. If the pain is near the butt area, you are most likely looking at sacroiliac dysfunction or some sort of issue with L4/L5 and the SI joint (which is typical). Ice is good, physio is good, motrin may or may not help.

hmmm by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 06:30:25 PM EST
Wasn't scoliosis.  It may have been the second thing though.  I wish I had been paying better attention but at this point she had me bending over and the pain was the focus.

Aleve has worked wonders.  Tylenol was okay.  Didn't get any Motrin.

Click

Make the best of your time with the drugs by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 08:46:30 PM EST
Tolerance tends to build. So use the respite that comes from their initial power to do the things that you need to do to work on a long term solution.

But do so slowly. Pushing too hard, too fast will make things much, much worse.

Cicero, The Republic
off the drugs. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 09:37:56 PM EST
The leg pain is intense, but is pretty much control with Jedi, er I mean by not walking.  I went all weekend without meds.  Tolerance is bad.

Click
Good luck on that by lm (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 07:02:49 AM EST
It's not a fun journey you're on. But it is a doable one.

Cicero, The Republic
it's also an odd journey. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 08:38:33 PM EST
See latest diary.

Click
Blood pressure by hulver (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 01:19:36 AM EST
120/80 is the default normal value.

I've always understood that you don't need to worry much about the first value. That's the pressure when your heart is actually beating.

The second figure is the one to worry about. That's the pressure between beats, if that's too high then you're in trouble. Anything over 90 for that, and you should worry. 88 isn't too bad.

In my opinion, I'm not a doctor, etc.

Also, back pain is bad. You have my sympathies.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I'm typically just below both 140/90 by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 06:44:23 AM EST
 ...and I'm my doctor constantly has me coming back every three months to obsess over it.  I guess since I'm not on any drugs I'm considered some sort of a freak here in USia.

He'll be itching to prescribe you some drugs by hulver (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 07:38:08 AM EST
88? That's nearly pre-hypertension. Take these pills. They'll have side effects that are worse than the condition, but I can tick this box.

Cynical, moi?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

yeah by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 06:43:59 PM EST
If I were thin and had no other issues, drugs, sure.  But I'd rather lose weight and see where the BP goes from there.

Click
thanks by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 06:32:06 PM EST
I should really get a baseline BP, but well going to the doctor even if it was just to get the BP checked would cause me to get anxious.

I might be misremembering the top number, as the nurse nor the doctor seemed concerned.

Click

158/88 by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 05:02:42 AM EST
Age and weight are major factors in determining target range for blood pressure. For an otherwise fit (weight and no cardiac issues) above 140/90 is high bloodpressure (hypertension).

-- The revolution will not be televised.
My wife hates it by debacle (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 08:49:51 AM EST
She uses a technique called targeted reality augmentation, which leads her to believe the _she_ was, in fact, correct, and I was merely goading her like some modern day Loki into incorrectness via double reverse inverse psychology. I hope you feel better. It's probably worse than it seems. I'd recommend asking your PCP if you can have an MRI done. Better to catch it now than in 6 months. What she didn't tell you is that if the physical therapy _doesn't_ help, it can actually do more damage.

yeah by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 06:34:58 PM EST
But then I heard all those "ON NOES too much radiation in CT scans" news stories today.

Click
But an MRI scan doesn't use radiation. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 09:49:30 PM EST
It uses [fx: goes and looks up how it works on Wikipedia] invented, fake, utterly impossible technology instead. Actually, I don't believe in MRIs, what they actually are is an up, down, left, right, xyzzy code that's intelligently designed into our bodies, and us humans just found out how to tap it.

I've got an MRI on Monday. What music should I take?

radiation alright by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 04:12:44 AM EST
just different medium. MRI - Magnetic Resonance Imaging, which unlike X-rays (which make up CT) are non-ionising and hence a completely different ballgame when it comes to dangerous. If you worry about standing directly underneath high voltage grids then you should worry about MRI. If you are a normal well balanced person, you should not.

:-).

Ironically the same people that think MRIs are the work of the devil often turn out to be the same people that believe in the mythical powers of the magnet for healing. Get your head around that.

-- The revolution will not be televised.
I would say by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 09:39:25 PM EST
Battles.

Click
Yeah, yeah, yeah by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 09:11:23 AM EST
you skipped the important part, was the Doc hot? Was she interested in you?

yes by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 15, 2009 at 06:27:12 PM EST
The med student was kinda cute. Sadly I'm picky and I want my Medical Professionals to be real doctors.(cue debacle)

Click