Print Story Attention back pain sufferers.
By dev trash (Thu Dec 10, 2009 at 09:43:09 PM EST) (all tags)
What kinda exercises or whatever should one do for lower back pain/stiffness?

It's really odd on what alleviates and what aggravates the pain/stiffness in my back.

Laying flat on my back on the floor:  OK.
Laying on either side with knees near chin: OK.
Sitting on the couch:Not OK.
Sitting in a chair with good back support:OK.

Too distracted to do much else now.  Time for bed.
< Dos Equis | I still have the xx shirt somewhere >
Attention back pain sufferers. | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
When I got my bed a few years ago by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Dec 10, 2009 at 09:50:08 PM EST
I got the hardest mattress I could find, since I had intermittent back pain since high school.

The salesguy tried to talk me out of it, and I was like no, I want the hardest mattress you've got.

I have not had back pain since getting this mattress.

Also getting a board of plywood helps if you're not going to spring for mattress.

If my back is bugging me I'll sleep on the floor by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Dec 10, 2009 at 10:38:39 PM EST
for a couple of nights, makes a big difference.

I tweaked my back a couple years ago while building my deck, conveniently the day before we had to put up the rafters. Slept on the floor that night, loaded up on tylenol and was able to get the full day's work in.

ahhh yes. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 06:36:56 PM EST
I should get some plywood, the bed is a little on the downslope of its life although I did just get it 4 years ago.

Click
Back exercises by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 05:16:48 AM EST

Cicero, The Republic
Also, introductory yoga postures are good by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 07:31:09 AM EST
Corpse, leaf, man on fire, etc. Yoga postures are especially good when combine with breathing exercises. There is one breathing exercised I used to do flat on my back and I would feel my vertebrae slide back into the place they ought to be as I exhaled. The book that got me started was DeChanet's Christian Yoga with is three quarters a philosophical/religious treatise followed by a about fifty pages of yoga instruction. But I found that just by browsing at the library many moons ago. I suspect that there are better beginner's guides these days.

But with either yoga or other exercises, be sure to start slow and gradually work your way up. At least in my experience, back pain comes from having muscle injuries of one form or the other. Pushing weak and injured muscles too far too fast is a great recipe for increased back pain.

Cicero, The Republic
What lm said. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 07:45:26 AM EST
I have chronic lower back pain that's exacerbated by standing, and the two thing that have helped me are yoga and walking. I just do the introductory yoga stuff, and if something hurts, I stop doing it. The best poses for me are the spinal twists (lying flat on your back, pull your knees to your chest, then gently let them fall one direction while looking the other direction). Hip stretches help, too, since I suspect my sciatic nerve is involved.
sciatic by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 06:38:21 PM EST
does that localize the pain in the hip upper leg region sometimes?

Click
From my (limited) understanding, by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 08:10:36 PM EST
the piriformis muscle in one's hip/butt (deeper than the glutes) can pinch the sciatic nerve, and cause pain down one's leg and into the foot. I do notice that when I do yoga "hip openers" (like half-pigeon, for instance) my back feels better. Still, stretching out the spasming muscles in my lumbar and sacral regions is really important when I've been on my feet for too long or I've done some sort of inadvisable lifting of heavy things.
Interesting by Herring (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Dec 12, 2009 at 11:05:12 AM EST
I get back pain from standing for any length of time (or walking around slowly - e.g. shopping). Might look at some intro yoga stuff. Or just do what I do at the moment and avoid standing for any length of time.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
thanks by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 06:44:12 PM EST
I might have a yoga book on my bookshelf.  If not I am pretty sure the local library had some when I was last there.

Click
Not a problem by lm (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 09:36:45 PM EST
Been there, done that.

I don't know if you were reading my diary when I royally fucked up my back a few years ago. It's all water under the bridge now. But, of course, the situation I was in closer to 2000/2001 was probably closer to your current situation.

Pick a few exercises and take it slow. Build up over time. Eventually your pain will be a distant memory. But it does take time.

Cicero, The Republic
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 07:02:22 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

yes. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 06:39:19 PM EST
We have excellent health benefits where I work.  I'm just I dunno...apprehensive.

Click
Extension. Extension. Extension. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 12:37:03 PM EST
Fetal positions are bad. Laying on your stomach is excellent. If you can sleep flat on you back on a hard floor, that's also good.

Once you get past the worst of the pain try running -- or even walking -- with a correct and  upright posture. I find that after a crappy day hunched in front of my computer, a nice run literally realigns my spine.

McKenzie exercises by technician (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 12:40:10 PM EST
are the only reason I can walk today.

Here's a description

paging blixco, 256, etc by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 01:00:32 PM EST
I would recommend doing some basic core exercises. The stiffness is caused by inflammation caused by damage to your spine caused by years of not being a studly god of she-lust.

I generally do a lot of standing pelvic thrust and hip sways. Push ups are actually bad for that part of your back if you have a gut (I have one too!). I would recommend against any exercise that involves using your core as a lever.

When I was trying to get back into lifting shape, I would do the following:

500 pelvic thrusts
500 hip sways (250 each side)
500 knee lifts (250 each knee)
1000 forward punches (500 each arm)

I did a lot of reps because my back couldn't support much weight. If you can do these with some weight, I would recommend it. The nice thing about these exercises is that they are basically no-impact and you can do all but one of them while making dinner, brushing your teeth, in the shower, watching TV, etc.

Try to vary your speed. Do 100 reps as quickly as you can, and then do 100 reps in 100 seconds.

I am sure by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 06:55:48 PM EST
That being a fat ass has added to the issue, but there is some physical damage that was done years ago that involved carpet and lifting.

I think the pushups I was doing aggravated it, but I had stopped doing them, it's just been the past couple of days that have been bad.

Click

Combine into one exercise by Herring (4.00 / 1) #18 Sat Dec 12, 2009 at 11:06:26 AM EST
It's just a jump to the left
Then a step to the right
Put your hands on your hips ...

Sorry.