Print Story Blah, blah, blah, Friday. Blah, blah, blah.
Wizards and Hobbits
By MartiniPhilosopher (Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 02:44:43 PM EST) (all tags)
Geeze you guys. xx was a great band and all but really xyz is what you should be listening to these days. Forget the tribute bands, they're all living in the past. You need to look forward and xyz is it. Same with abc. They really have a great sound you should check out.

Personally I don't have any sort of hangups about bathrooms other than that the seat had better be clean if I need to use it. There have been past  group discussions where the habits of other humans seem to cause undue stress. Things like using a seat just after another person has. For me, no biggie as long as its clean. Former supervisor really hated having a pre-warmed seat waiting for them. Personally, I think a lot of my attitude can be blamed on six years of scout camp with the mass-latrine. Nothing like using the pit at the same time as six other guys to wipe away some illusions of human behavior. Or witnessing 12 & 13 year olds peering down at a playboy opened to the spread and trying to keep that particular hole from being used. Ah, the memories.

Stuck on a couple of articles I'm trying to write for my personal site.

The first has to do with WFRPv3 released last month. I need to find someone who has a copy and get a couple of sessions in before I finish it up. Yes, my opinion is already largely formed but there is a nagging part of me that knows I should experience some of it before I inflict the world with it.

The second has to do with RPG's Rule Zero: If you don't like a rule, change it. Such is both a blessing and a curse. I'm trying my best to argue against it and I think I have a line on a good argument but I keep getting stuck in the practicality of applicability. In short, if we gamers stop observing Rule Zero, then we had best be given a complete (as in the Kurt Godel sense of the word) set of rules. Two problems arise from this. A -- that's a tall order for a gaming system and requires quite a bit of money to see happen. And B -- what do you sell after you've sold the first? Splatbooks are already hard enough to sell to the fickle audience and like expansions for MMOs they had best give the buyer good reason to upgrade. Unlike MMOs however, the original thing can continue to exist outside the publisher's continuity and actually get better material due to the users' own abilities.

Also, wife is out of town visiting relatives in the fine state of Massachusetts. A small town about an hour from Albany. Last time she was there, it was for her bother's wedding. At the time, she found herself lacking a good way to describe the place. She went on about there were no big-box or chain stores, how it was easy to get lost in the countryside, and that fact that no one was openly friendly. When she got home and was describing it to me, I piped up with how it sounded like Lovecraft's description of the same. At which point she said, "You know, that's it. If Cthulu had shown up at the ceremony, that would have explained everything."

I plan on getting some brewing done this weekend thanks to her absence. She really doesn't like the smell of the boiled hops. The pre-hops wort is fine since it smells like bread, but once I add the hops, it gets too "green" for her. The plan is to continue developing the pico-batch recipe: 1 lbs DME + 1 gal. H2O + 1 oz. hops. One gallon jugs shall be all that is employed as fermentors and containers so that they will ready to be consumed during holiday festivities. Last attempt had a minor explosion around three in the morning as the pressure was too much for the bung holding the airlock. Part of that was having too much wort in the jug. The other part was letting too much head develop. Combined, it nearly ended in disaster. I plan on being more careful this time around.

< Attention UK Infidels! | I wanted to scream today. >
Blah, blah, blah, Friday. Blah, blah, blah. | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Lee, Lenox, Great Barrington, Stockbridge by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 03:01:17 PM EST
one of those small towns an hour from Albany?

Outside of Lee somewhere by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 04:25:36 PM EST
Granted, the "small town" is what we outsiders are told. I really have no idea what that actually means for that part of the world.

Lee is already pretty small by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 05:22:14 PM EST
a tiny downtown and about twenty houses.

au contraire by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 10:03:56 PM EST
Lee is pretty big IYKWIM.

Cicero, The Republic
Either you are drunk by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 11:01:59 PM EST
or your wife is using your account. Either way, well played. Well played.

Blowoff tubes and unsolicited advice by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 04:40:48 PM EST
If you are going to use a one gallon jug for a one gallon batch, you will need to use a blow off tube.  You won't have enough head space otherwise, especially if its a wheat DME beer.  All a blow off tube is a tube that goes from the top of the fermenter into a jar or bucket of sanitzer like Star San, or even a lightly bleached water.

One ounce of hops seems like a lot.  A quick calculation, using Saaz at 3.5% alpa acid (a very low alpha hop) and light DME for a 60 minute boil is going to give you something like 80IBU, bitter as hell.  1oz at 15 mins will give you half that, but still likely a pretty bitter beer.  Adding at 60 min will also give nearly no hop aroma or flavor other than bitter.

Also, with only two weeks to ferment and age, this beer will be green.  Very green. I usually reccomend for a 5%ABV beer about six weeks, with three of that bottle conditioning.

It will be about 4.3% alcohol, assuming you use a yeast like Safale US-05 and get that yeast's maximum attenuation.

The kind of beer you are making is called a SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) which is kind of popular right now.

For your consideration:

1lb 4oz Light dry malt extract

60 min left .25 oz Saaz at 3.5%AA
15 min left .25 oz Saaz at 3.5%AA
1 min  left .25 oz Saaz at 3.5%AA

That will give you about 5.3% ABV and about 30IBU with a color about 7SRM.

Should be balanced that way.

Hopefully I haven't been too much of a butt-insky with all this. I'll be interested to know how your beers come out, good luck!

Gedvondur