Print Story They always say write what you know.
By dev trash (Mon Nov 30, 2009 at 10:23:40 PM EST) (all tags)
What do you write then, when you don't know anything?

I could write about the pain and humiliation of not being invited to a birthday party when I was a child.

I could write about the embarrassment of having the teacher tie my shoes in third grade.

I could write about the shock and then slight glee I felt when people yelled at me because I knew the answer to all the questions the teacher was asking.

I could write about how that person's highlight in life was being a cheerleader.  For the JV team.

I could write about how the farmer's field everyone partied, in college is now a baseball field.

I could write about the friends and family I miss dearly year round, but more acutely around the holidays.

What could you write about?

< I could use a $10 a minute job | Moral Compass and Facial Hair >
They always say write what you know. | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oh I know! by me0w (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Nov 30, 2009 at 10:27:22 PM EST
I could write about the lint I just pulled out of my belly button. It is red. I'm wearing a black shirt.

you may find this odd. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Nov 30, 2009 at 10:40:08 PM EST
But I've had that happen a few times.  It shouldn't happen...cuz well where did the odd color come from?

Click
Lint from yesterday and a red shirt? by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Nov 30, 2009 at 10:41:00 PM EST

It's a sign! BE CAREFUL! by ni (4.00 / 3) #11 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 09:46:32 AM EST
You may not LOOK like a red-shirt, but you're doomed to a freakish and painful Alien death! DON'T BEAM DOWN TO THAT PLANET!

I don't know by johnny (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Nov 30, 2009 at 10:52:28 PM EST
jack shit about fuckall, but I write all kinds of stuff anyway. Some of those topics sound promising. Do tell more.

War Crimes in a Third-World Hell-Hole. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 04:28:41 AM EST
Oooops! Sorry, that's the Mojito talkin'.

Good question by Herring (4.00 / 6) #6 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 06:03:55 AM EST
What do you write then, when you don't know anything?

Corporate memos.

Herring - Official HuSi diarist of the 2016 European Korfball Championship (October 22nd, Dordrecht, Netherlands)

I could write about a long trail of mistakes by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 06:24:51 AM EST
Some of which, I'd be more than willing to make again; others, not so much.

Cicero, The Republic
Make stuff up. by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 07:01:53 AM EST
I'm not going to Europa in my lifetime; I'm not gonna figure out a language based on statistics and lots and lots of sound files. I'm not gonna end up being a blood goddess in 1530s Mexico. I think it's about the life of the imagination.

To some extent, I became the person I was writing about. Keep trying, or rewriting, until you get something you like.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Wait. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 08:26:56 AM EST
Isn't this the entire premise of this site? Hell, possibly the entire internet?

What do you write then... by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 08:41:41 AM EST
"lol" seems to be popular

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Also by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 09:49:16 AM EST
"Health" articles in the Daily Mail.

The Daily Mail by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 10:09:59 AM EST
Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from stupidity.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
As a recent convert to the Daily Mail by dmg (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 05:47:24 PM EST
Having somehow escaped reading it for some 30+ years, I have to say, its almost as good as now-defunct satirical website adequacy.org

I particularly enjoyed reading this insightful article, "politician is massive hypocrite shocker".

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I sprained my ankle this weekend. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 12:00:39 PM EST
In the first inning of the first game of kickball I've ever played in my life.

Write about your mundane life, by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 12:58:22 PM EST
but cover up the boringness with an alien landscape.

Why do you want to write anything at all? Why not draw?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Hey, hey, hey! by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 03:34:29 PM EST
Don't be encouraging him to poach on my turf.

Please - your life isn't boring, George. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 06:26:44 PM EST
Wife-stuff, kid-stuff, work-stuff. You've got a lot going on that's not mundane.

You write well also. Your weekly updates are always easy to read.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

nah by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 06:54:01 PM EST
I've only just listened to the GD live tracks.

You were there man.  And showing up is half the battle.

Click

compared to my drawing by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 06:52:09 PM EST
My writing is award winning.
I did a lot of scribbling in high school.  A diary section about that could be interested.

Click
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 08:29:50 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I used to do that at the other site. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 09:39:09 PM EST
Even got me a Vote To Section out of it.

Click