Print Story Conversation with NOC engineer
By Phil the Canuck (Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 11:47:05 AM EST) (all tags)
"Our data shows your problems are due to being pegged on bandwidth all day."

"I know."

"You know?"

"Yes, I know."

"Then why did you open a ticket?"

"I've been telling my boss that we don't have enough pipe for a year-and-a-half now and he doesn't believe me."

"So, um, what do you want me to do with the ticket?"

"Respond saying that our connection is pegged."

"That's it?"

"Yeah, my boss will see that and he'll believe it if it doesn't come from me."

"Uh, OK.  No problem."

< Have you ever been to New York CITY? | It Never Ends. >
Conversation with NOC engineer | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
But by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 12:30:35 PM EST
We know that can't be the problem, because Phil said the same thing and Phil's wrong. Better hire a consultant.

solution: by gzt (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 12:32:57 PM EST
Have them propose the problem in such a way that it looks like the boss thought of it first.

He does that all by himself by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 12:53:29 PM EST
I mean, you don't think he marched into the CFO's office and said, "Phil's been telling me for nineteen months that we need more bandwidth, and I'm just getting around to it now", do you?

I suspect it went a little more like: by FlightTest (4.00 / 4) #8 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 02:05:12 PM EST
"I've been after Phil to investigate the source of the problem since we installed the system, and I finally got him to open a trouble ticket with our intertubes provider and they say the problem is we need more bandwidth.  This could have all been avoided if he had just told me when we bought the system."

FFS Phil by hulver (4.00 / 15) #3 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 12:33:20 PM EST
If the connection's been this bad all that time, why didn't you tell me!
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I want to zero you by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 5) #5 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 12:53:55 PM EST
That's not even funny.

And here I though Dilbert was only a comic by marvin (4.00 / 4) #6 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 01:04:44 PM EST
You poor soul.

Half of America by FlightTest (4.00 / 3) #7 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 02:04:11 PM EST
at one time was convinced "Scott Adams" was surely a pen name for one of their co-workers.

The other half by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 04:33:37 PM EST
work in fast food.

After 15 years in that kind of environment by dmg (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 03:03:29 PM EST
I open tickets first, and ask questions later if at all.
Sometimes you need to understand that your job is not what you think/wish it is.
Strangely, that realisation often coincides with mysterious promotions.

I find the most useful approach to working for a living is to think of it as a giant multi-player role-playing game, where your objective is maximising your income and minimizing your effort.
If some useful work gets done as a side effect, well, sometimes that can't be helped. But with this framework in place, nothing will ever seem random or stupid ever again, it will just be predictable.
You can even start pre-empting the stupidity by initiating it yourself, thus wrong-footing your competitors...

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
There is no chance of promotion by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 04:03:06 PM EST
None.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.

In that case by dmg (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 06:44:42 PM EST
Effort minimization should be priority 1.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
My biggest problem by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 05:23:03 AM EST
I have too little to do.  I'm manufacturing projects right now just to keep my brain switched on.

Manufacturing projects by dmg (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 06:37:11 PM EST
Dude, you are SO management material. How can you have been overlooked for so long?

You need to move, since your expertise hasn't been noticed, let alone _rewarded_!!!

seriously.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
+1 firm grasp on reality -nt- by clover kicker (4.00 / 2) #12 Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 05:52:42 PM EST

Conversation with NOC engineer | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback