Print Story 15k and I feel...
By ana (Sun Nov 08, 2009 at 05:49:19 PM EST) nano, creeping crud, movies (all tags)
well, kinda shitty, actually.

So I decided mid-week to change what novel I'm working on for November. The situation I set up on 2004, plus the characters I put in it, writing in little drabbles last winter, still don't wanna go anywhere, and the more I tried to herd them, the more the piece ends up like the memoir nobody'll ever want to read.

So I went back to But Before That. One of my readers suggested, with some trepidation, that it might be good to tell the story in the first person, through the two main characters' eyes. This got a bit confusing, because that other novel (see paragraph one above) was also done in first person by two narrators. So, why not do the story I actually managed to finish once, this time up close and personal?

It's kind of like acting, in a way. And those places where the motivations are really unclear stick out like sore thumbs in the eye, to mangle a metaphor or two. So I'm at 15,000 words, plus, which is the quota for the day after tomorrow. This is a good thing. Some of the writing is kind of stale, but hey.

As for the feeling shitty, I seem to have caught the creeping crud. Mostly it's a post-nasal thing, causing a scratchy throat, and some trouble sleeping. Voice-wise this is a good week for it, since the choir's excused next Sunday and we're not rehearsing Wednesday. Toxicfur's had something like this for a week or more now; feeling dragged out with slightly sore throat, but never a fever to speak of, and not really feeling bad enough to stay home (but the one day). I hope my case is less severe.

I got to use the power mower to grind up leaves for the compost heap today. Usually that's toxicfur's baby, but she's having asthma problems lately, so I got to use the toy.

Yesterday we went to see Where the Wild Things Are. It's really quite delightful. The Wild Things are, in fact, wild. And Maurice Sendak (author of the children's book of the same name) was involved. As far as I can tell, it's really quite faithful to his vision. And it's just fun, watching 1000-pound six-year-olds roughhousing. (Ooh... another double-H word!)

Anyway. Dinner soon. And perhaps a decongestant tonight so I can sleep.
< I gotta have more cowovell | Memories. >
15k and I feel... | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
One thing that helps me get to sleep.. by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Nov 08, 2009 at 07:08:04 PM EST
When congested, is controlled breathing.

Just focusing on deep slow breaths in through the nose (well, assuming this is possible), and out through the mouth seems to both help the breathing and the fading into sleep.

Agreed. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Nov 08, 2009 at 07:16:43 PM EST
I do "yogic" breathing. It's the techniques I learn in my yoga class - no idea if it's based in anything other than the instructor's preferences, but it works, except when I'm asthmatic.
I think there's another method for that by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Nov 08, 2009 at 07:22:44 PM EST

But my only exposure to it was on NPR this week.

Spike Jonze was the the perfect director for WTWTA by lm (4.00 / 2) #2 Sun Nov 08, 2009 at 07:11:03 PM EST
I read a spotlight on him in the NYT. Friends of his with children had one of their kids come up to them and ask why Spike didn't live with his parents. They didn't get that he was an adult.

That was the right man to make the movie.

Cicero, The Republic
the man's been home by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 06:30:21 AM EST
for over a week with something similar. slight cough, some swollen lymph nodes, and swollen and cruddy tonsils. no fever, but when doc saw him she suggested he not be kissing me, we don't share utensils/food/cups...because his might be mono.
---------