Print Story Beers, Weetacon, and other uninteresting shit.
Wizards and Hobbits
By Gedvondur (Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 04:01:24 PM EST) Weetacon, beer, dog, cat, politics, work (all tags)
A diary to entertain and titillate.

Weetacon March 5-7, 2010

Planning for Weetacon goes apace. Remember, you are all invited to participate. http://weetacon.com/ is the relevant URL.

Weetabix (my wife) tell me that there is rumbling that I should have some home brew, made especially for Weetacon available.  The question is what kind of beer should I make?   I could play it safe with a typical brown, or an English bitter, or even a wit. But all of that seems boring. What I do know is that it needs to be about 5% ABV and not too outrageous for the masses attending Weetacon. But other than that the planning for this year’s event seems to be going well. It’s always a blast.

Beer

Haven’t had much to do on the beer front in a few weeks. Tomorrow I am going to brew a Bavarian Dunkel (not dunkelweiss) that I hope will come out like Capital Brewing’s Dark.  We shall see we are using a kit from Northern Brewer, mostly because frankly dunkel recipes are extremely simple and it would take longer to order ingredients separately. Gonna brew that one up tomorrow afternoon. We may also take a shot at brewing up a base wheat beer that is going to be split into two 2.5 gallon batches after primary fermentation. We want to make one with raspberry and the second with pomegranate. We’ve never done a true fruit beer before, our only real delve into fruit has been our strawberry mead. Small batches should make it easy to try and not have too much crap beer laying around if it doesn’t work out. Next up after those two will be a Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue) clone for my buddy TLON. It’s a big beer, will take six months minimum to age out.

I’ve also ordered the double tap tower  for the kegerator I am going to put into my house. We built one for my brew buddy Scott’s place, where we brew, but I want homebrew on tap at the house. The second tap will be for seltzer, which is simplicity itself to make if you have a dual regulator and a CO2 tank, the second of which I will need for the beer anyway. Just need the regulators and some other miscellaneous parts now.

Work

Meh, we are still in business and things are looking up, so woo I guess. I’m dealing with the job. I don’t like it that much, but I get paid well so I am living with it. That’s enough about that.

D&D/Role-playing

Got my Traveller game coming up in January. Getting started on prep material for that.

One of the things I am looking for, (not for Traveller) is for a good space-based ship to ship combat system. We have used the one in d20 Star Wars and its total shit. Too much math and it moves WAY too slow. If any of you role-playing inclined individuals have anything that you think would work, regardless of game system, let me know about it? The only one we have ever had even remotely work is the old d6 Star Wars system with the ship combat supplement. We are not going to necessarily use it for Star Wars, but we want some more options for sci-fi based role-playing games. Ship to ship can be real fun, be it star fighters or larger ships.

Pets

Dog Unit (pug) and Cat Unit (grey and white of uncertain ancestry) are both doing fine. They play together all the time. Sadly, there is no cute dog-and-cat-laying-together pictures, but at least they get along. My parents are on vacation visiting Ireland, so we are also taking care of their dog as well, Micro Dog Unit (miniature Yorkie and miniature poodle mix…a miniature Yorkiepoo) She weighs five pounds fully grown. But she is powered by nuclear materials, super fast, runs and jumps a lot. Her and DU play and play and play, even though DU is three times the weight of MDU. It’s going to be an interesting two weeks.

Politics

First thing, the last election was NOT a referendum on Obama. Guess what geniuses; people don’t make choices in their local elections based solely on who is President. They may favor one party or another, but that doesn’t mean they will elect idiots to spite President Barry.

Oh, and neocon/birthers/teabaggers I got one thing to say about NY-23: HA HA! Fuck you, little pricks. Political parties don’t work when ideologues force purity litmus tests. If you continue down this road, you are FUCKED for years. You had a perfectly acceptable candidate who was literally a shoo-in from a district that hasn’t voted in a Democratic representative in like a billion years. But because she wasn’t the perfect conservative you named her RINO and put up some not-ready-for-it jackass and split the vote. It got so bad that your former candidate dropped out and endorsed the DEMOCRAT. Wake up, morons. Stop listening to Palin-Beck-Limbaugh-Jindal.

Oh, and those of you that voted against gay rights in Maine? FUCK YOU. You are on the wrong side of history. Your grandchildren will be ashamed of the pictures of you celebrating the win.

To those of you in Washington State that made gay marriage possible there, KUDOS. Well done.

Wrap up

That’s all I got.

< Adventures in whatnot | New Haven Case >
Beers, Weetacon, and other uninteresting shit. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Not for traveler? by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 04:29:40 PM EST
The only really good one I remember was an add on for traveler. The important part was that each ship had three markers. One for where it was last turn, one for where it is, and a third for where you wanted to go. This allowed you to model inertia (where you would go started from opposite of where you were and you could move it from there based on your engine speed).

I think it was called Mayday.

Wumpus

I'll look for it by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Nov 06, 2009 at 01:25:21 PM EST
 Thanks for the tip!

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
You can buy it on DVD by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 12:41:13 PM EST
at farfuture.net .

space based ship to ship combat by garlic (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 04:33:10 PM EST
we play battlestations which has some pretty decent mechanics for spaceship to spaceship combat. It does have the same drawback as many systems, that a 30 second space combat can take forever to fully run, but that's partly due to running the interrior of the ships as well as just the ships on the board.

Hmmm by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Nov 06, 2009 at 01:26:06 PM EST
Seems a little too interior oriented, but I will check it out further.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
are you looking for by garlic (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Nov 06, 2009 at 04:38:58 PM EST
something to attach to another campaign, or a standalone game? Have you looked at any of the miniature games in space?

yeah by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 04:38:55 PM EST
See though NY-23's strategy will continue on, and just when it's not working out ONE neocon shithead will get elected and they'll keep the farce going.  I mean come on, the neocons in NY-23 are HAPPY the Dem won because they think it means people will truly wake up and 'true' conservatives will reign.

Sigh

Click

Well by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Nov 06, 2009 at 09:05:56 AM EST
They are delusional, no doubt about that.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
weetacon by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 04:58:55 PM EST
i think that perhaps this year we might have to skip it, as i'll be gigantic by then. i definitely wouldn't win twister again, at the very least.
---------
No worries by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Nov 06, 2009 at 09:05:08 AM EST
There's always the year after.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Glad to see a return to civility in politics! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 08:44:08 PM EST
How refreshing.

Heh by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 09:34:01 PM EST
If politics were civil, then they could be the subject of polite conversation. But they never are.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
stuff and things by LinDze (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 11:31:35 PM EST
A dunkel sounds nice. Dont see them very often around here. I remember liking some of the sulphery marzen & bochs in southern germany. It's a touch bigger than you were thinking, but my current pint of choice is pliny. For a fruit beer its harder to shoot higher than ephemere, in my opinion.

For space combat why not use a table top system? GW does battlefleet gothic for free now. Im sure FASA must have had something from Battletech that would be cheap/free now.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

Table top system by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Nov 06, 2009 at 01:27:17 PM EST
Its not out as an idea, but we generally don't use miniatures of any sort.  Still, the suggestion has merit, and I'll take a look.

Gedvondur