Print Story on drinking
Drink
By gzt (Wed Nov 04, 2009 at 02:03:11 PM EST) gzt, friggin' intense, rocket can, sofa, holiday travel (all tags)
I'm no big drinker, but I just thought to myself after reading that brilliant drunken diary: when was the last time I had a drink?

We had some drinks on the honeymoon and I think that's it. Before that, I had lots of drinks at my bachelor party, before that I had some fine whiskeys with a roommate, and I don't know before that. Perhaps I should break out the whiskey and have a drink. Just one.

I bought the couch and loveseat. They're a bit old and used, but still in good shape and quite comfortable. They're fairly light, Teh Wife and I could move them ourselves, but I think we want a man on hand. I'll just rent a pickup from zipcar for a couple hours and see if we can trick some friend of ours into helping. They can be plied with beer! A week from Saturday. Mmm, furniture.

Holiday travel: blah. Need to figure it out.

I still have some sort of minor cold that's bugging my lungs. I decided to start taking Mucinex to see if that would clear things up down there. I can't really tell. I think I feel a little better.

Because somebody asked, I was looking for statistics about length of courtship/engagement and divorce. It was brought up because somebody elsewhere on teh internets was planning on have a week-long engagement but was almost discouraged because somebody she knew told her long engagements correlate with successful marriages and then somebody in teh internets conversation claimed some actual statistics. Googling has not turned up any sort of result. But the googling has been half-hearted, as I am still at work. Of course, the woman in this case is insane. But I'm still interested in the question.

Still haven't checked out the new gym. I've been so busy. My back is killing me at work. I'm going to a play tomorrow. Friday, maybe Friday. Or not.

More things need to come in rocket cans.

< fucking fuck | Bike Lights >
on drinking | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
engaged 1 year = divorce by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Nov 04, 2009 at 05:23:51 PM EST
he moved out before our first anniversary.

i was never officially engaged to clock, we just knew we were going to get married.  hrm, maybe we were engaged because i did ask him to marry me and give him a ring.  but he was still married at the time, so i don't know how that counts.

That makes you a homewrecker by debacle (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 09:56:22 AM EST
You hussie.

hussie, ok. by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 10:09:28 AM EST
but is it really a home-wrecker when his then-wife admitted she was a lesbian (and not interested in him at all) and was in another relationship?

Just go with it by debacle (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 10:16:16 AM EST
Home-wrecker makes the whole thing sound much hotter.

I am, however... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 10:04:16 AM EST
...finding information about length of courtship, which is probably a better variable anyway.

then let's add by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 10:10:50 AM EST
we were together for 3 years before we got engaged (the ex, that is).

clock and i were together 1 year before marriage, but knew we would get married the day we met.

I'd be impressed by garlic (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 11:50:26 AM EST
if there were any correlation. Although I know some sources like to suggest that living together before marriage promotes divorce.

I suspect... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 11:58:56 AM EST
...very short and very long correlate weakly with failure, everything else is a grab-bag, and there are probably factors prior to both that explain the correlation. I think a better line on premarital cohabitation is that it correlates weakly (in the same way as above), but that doesn't sound as impressive, you know?

i tend to think of it thus by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Nov 06, 2009 at 06:56:40 AM EST
many people who live together before marriage seem to be more casual about relationships and may have had a series of live-in relationships. the concept of living with someone is not very serious to them, and not any indication of stability. they get married just as lightly, at times... not all, mind you, we lived together before marriage but we also thought pretty damned hard before doing so...not everyone takes it that seriously.

and that's a pretty bad explanation of what's in my head but it's early and i've only got so much time..
---------

I drink nearly every day by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Nov 04, 2009 at 06:19:04 PM EST
beer or wine with dinner, maybe two.

Maybe once a week I'll have a drink watching TV with my honey after the kids are in bed.

But, it's been a long time since I've been drunk.

it certainly seems possible by garlic (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 12:23:04 PM EST
that the sort of people who cohabitate are also the sort that think getting a divorce is acceptable, or at least not stigmatized.

on drinking | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback