Print Story I commit to becoming 70s big.
Health
By gzt (Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 11:07:05 AM EST) gzt, 70s big, food, children (all tags)
I just joined a dingy gym in a basement that charges $210/year. I am going to get 70's big. It's a no-nonsense place with lots and lots of iron that hosts lots of competitions, so it's the real thing.

Well, the real commitment to get 70's big will come after Christmas. Right now I'll just get my groove back. I hope my wife is prepared for the fact that, after Christmas, for a short time, I'll probably be eating 6-7000 calories per day and drinking about a gallon of whole milk. These days, though, not eating too much.

Numbers! My wife left out the measuring tape, so I, in my boredom, measured even more things. For instance, I have 14.5" upper arms and 26" thighs. And [redacted]. Yesterday, my blood pressure was measured at 94/68. I just can't help it. Numbers numbers numbers. Numbers. I like measuring and tracking and just having figures. I don't care how big my upper arms are. I care, slightly, about how big my neck and chest are because that matters when wearing clothes, but, otherwise, it has no significance to me. It's just... numbers!

Something we all already know: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8373690.stm About children and dirt. I agree on ideological grounds, but it's good to know science thinks I'm right.

And I really like this like BlueOregon posted: http://www.livescience.com/culture/091123-why-kids-ask.html Informative! But, of course, really drawing conclusions and stuff from data like this is tricky, but, you know, it really is just good policy to do this sort of stuff with kids (that is to say, explain stuff when they ask why).

Weather! May or may not muck up travel.

Today should be a lazy day, being the day before a holiday, but I have stuff to do at work, so I'll do it gladly. It's pretty good, since nobody else is around. Then I will pick up my rental car, drive to the gym, pick up heavy things, put them down, and then evaluate what travel looks like based on the weather. The things I pick up won't actually be that heavy, given that I've been pretty much out of the gym for a while. And I'm in no hurry. I might not even squat 225#.

Mmm: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/food/2009/10/05/2009-10-05_meet_the_craze_burger_beef_patty_bacon_and_cheese_sandwiched_between_a_krispy_kr.html

Anyway. That's about all I have to say.

< The results are in! | attn ammo infidel stop >
I commit to becoming 70s big. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
hmm by barooo (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 03:47:48 PM EST
When my expensive-ass crossfit contract is up, I might consider switching to that gym for a few months and doing pure strength for a bit.  I enjoy crossfit, but I think if I could get up in to the 300 pounds for reps squat range I'd be better suited to gain more from it.  If my farking calf ever heals...

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
It's dingy by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 07:15:01 PM EST
It's great. I just finished my first workout. Seriously, though, it shouldn't take too long to get up to 300# if you eat right. Squat 3x per week for 3x5, add 5# each workout. You'll stop, eventually, but you probably shouldn't before 300# unless you're not eating right or have bad form.

I wish my facial hair was 70s big. -nt by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 05:26:53 PM EST

70s Big by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 07:05:30 PM EST
That's big all right! That was an interesting link, those boys reminded me of my personal trainer when I had one, once upon a time. I don't so much go in for the big muscley boys (I prefer a nice lean swimmers body, if anyone is asking), but I certainly respect the work that goes into building it. I wish I had that sort of stick-to-it-edness, in fact, I'm trying to find it now to get fit, five thirty is just so damned early in the morning. Anyway, best of luck on your journey to 70s Big!

*twinkle*twinkle*

I am having trouble getting an extra 5 lbs by cam (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 08:35:19 PM EST
I am going to have drastically change my diet. The physical trainer I use was a former Mr American State in his youth. He has two shakes a day and mixes shake powder into his oatmeal for breakfast. I am going to have to try and get 200g of protein into me every day. I eat like a horse now, enough that I get sick of eating at one meal and end up just chewing and going through the motions of eating. I am going to have to get more ordered and regimented in my eating.

Good luck.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Also by cam (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 08:37:38 PM EST
I use dailyburn to track my weight/body-fat.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

How many calories do you eat? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 09:18:23 PM EST
Easy way to add more: whole milk. And McDonald's. And reading 70sbig.com.

I havent been tracking calories by cam (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 09:24:55 PM EST
as I have been growing. I have been making sure I eat three meals a day and lunch/dinner being large. We make protein muffins and I eat peanuts/apples/bananas all day. I also do a shake each day and sometimes two, depending. I probably intake about 3000-3500-4000 a day. One of the issues is that I do too much cardio but I dont want to give that up.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

this is just curiosity by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 09:58:25 PM EST
what sort of shake? a straight protein shake (ie, one scoop of whey), or something with more to it (ie, one of those thingies that's like "1000 calories in a shake!")? cardio really couldn't be your problem, since an hour of anything is, like, 3-400 calories. I suppose it adds up, but it's chump change in the grand scheme of things (okay, not if you're at the lower end of your guesstimate, and you may well be). though I do know that endurance exercise soon after strength training may inhibit strength gains, it is possible that it may also inhibit muscle mass gains... that's something to be curious about. but, you're growing, so, well, it's all moot.

well today I did the tom's thumb hike by cam (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Nov 27, 2009 at 07:53:01 PM EST
it was 4 hours and 12 miles. The elevation we got up to was about 3500 ft. According to daily burn it was about 1800 calories burnt. Which seems high to me, but that is by their calculation. The issue is, so far I have consumed 1400 calories today.

We are pretty hardcore. We did camelback yesterday and we dont do it slowly.

I think it is the Golden stuff. It is about 26g per serving. I double it up. I put it in my cereal. We also add it to our protein muffins (they end up about 9g of protein a muffin).

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

thoughts on the "deck by nathan (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Nov 29, 2009 at 07:00:18 PM EST
 of pushups" workout plan?

Am I just wasting my time trying to become able to do a lot of pushups? I just can't make it to a gym...

Here's a description from the intertubes.

Using a deck of cards, do the number of pushups that corresponds to the number on the card. Face cards equal 10 pushups; an ace entitles you to a one-minute break. Go until you finish the deck.

that's a lot of pushups. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Nov 30, 2009 at 07:43:54 AM EST
I don't see how it can hurt to throw it in the mix

you may not see how it can hurt by nathan (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 02:44:11 PM EST
but oh trust me it does

Oh, yes, I understand how it would *hurt* by gzt (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 02:49:04 PM EST
I mean, high volume movements with a large eccentric component == DOMS. It's 336 pushups. That will be painful for the next few days.

so far, half decks by nathan (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Dec 06, 2009 at 08:29:24 PM EST