Print Story I had a smug diary about good times and the lack of drama
By georgeha (Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 08:20:32 AM EST) beer, thropes, trick or treat, drama (all tags)
but it's outdated.

Plus Feynman, Horse Soldiers, Breaking the Waves, racist dog, I missed Camouflage, short week, no racking off and less.

Poll: Favorite physicist?

Nothing like a sick kid to make things hard. Eight year old threw up Thursday night, so I stayed home all day Friday, though I still called into conference calls and checked my email. She was good enough to go trick or treating  (which was awkward), then came home today with a fever. It's Mrs. Ha's turn to watch her.

Halloween was awkward, it's a tradition to go to the Porsche's neighborhood and go in a group. But, a friend of thirteen year old's was having a sleepover birthday party Halloween, complete with trick or treating in that neighborhood. It ended up being a pain, logistically.

In other work news, I was reminded that if the hotline used our hints and tips, or google, our call volume would drop significantly. Case in point, the field dude and hotline dude being flummoxed by a UNIX command of the type "command source destination", they only had "command source" and where wondering why it didn't work. Let's see, man command, google command, I've written a few docs on using that command, naw, just call me direct.

In storm window news, I found my hand drill, apparently plexiglass is tricky to work with, if you use a power tool on too fast a setting, you get stinky melted plexiglass instead of cuts and holes. So glass cutter and hand powered drill it is, at first. The frame is done, painted even.

A few weeks back I found a copy of Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman at a local Goodwill. I had seen it referenced way too many times on slashdot, I was glad to pick it up for a buck or two. I liked it, it made my miss a Jewish pal I haven't seen in years, who has a similar personality to Feynman's. Recommended if you like funny physicist stories, or horndog stories.

I bought my dad a copy of Stanton's horse Soldiers a while back, it's the story of the Special Forces, CIA and Air Force personnel who went into Afghanistan after 9/11 to work with the Northern Alliance to push out the Taliban. Pretty good, but I won't reread it.

In other media news, I got caught up in the hype about Lars Von Trier's Antichrist (he also did Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital), and in reading the background, realized our local library had a copy of Breaking the Waves, which had caught my eyes in the past, but I never picked it up. It's the story of a young Scot woman named Bess (Emily Watson) who is either simple minded and unstable, and or engages in conversations with God (and He answers) in the mid 70's. She marries Jan, a roughneck who works in the North Sea oil fields despite the disaproval of her church and small village, and they have a joyously happy weeklong honeymoon. Then, he flies back to the platform, not before Bess breaks several FAA regulations. He comes home before he's scheduled to, almost completely paralyzed from an accident. At this point there's still about an hour and a half to go in the movie, I didn't realize Dancer in the Dark was short for a Von Triers film. The remaining hour and half is how Bess bargains with God (or her insanity) to save Jan. It's intense, her actions upset her church and the village, she suffers for her actions, and there are many Christ parallels. The videography is odd, the colors are all washed out, save for the brief chapter starts, which are in full color with classic melodic 70's ballads. Haunting and well worth watching.

The other day a white meter reader came by, and our dog didn't freak. He always freaks if they send a black meter reader. It's odd though, he never freaked when our oldest's black schoolfriend came over, or when the black kid up the street visited, or when Mayor Johnson (black) came by for a few minutes, just the black meter readers. Maybe he's really a mixed classist/racist, and doesn't like blue collar blacks.

My favorite radio show is on Wednesday on the alternative station, New Wave Wednesday (I only look like a middle aged greying man, inside I'm still a punk and new wave listening kid). On most of the shows before Halloween, the DJ would play Stan Ridgeway's (Wall of Voodoo) Camouflage, but I missed it this week.

In local news, the Armory at the end of our street was auctioned off for a minivan less than $1.5 million dollars. One of the losing teams had talked about athletic fields and possibly an ice skating rink, which would have been awesomely cool. We'll see what happens, probably houses and offices.

One niggling problem with having a kid attend a flagship charter school is occasional early dismissal when the school is being used for seminars, as is the case Friday. My youngest gets out at 11:30, which isn't quite a half day for me, but I do have conference calls in the afternoon, which makes it a half day, you follow? But then, she threw up Thursday night, so I stayed home the full day.

My stout has been sitting in primary for weeks, I had hoped to rack it off earlier this week, but I was too busy. I hope the taste isn't affected.

< One Mans Travels With Bacon Salt. | No Shave November, Cadets! >
I had a smug diary about good times and the lack of drama | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Stout by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 09:33:31 AM EST
The stout should be okay.  Takes a long time for autolysis to set it.  Still, best to get it off the yeast cake to avoid any funkiness.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
At this point I may just keg it soon by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 09:37:25 AM EST
it's been fermenting for three weeks.

Might as well by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 09:39:55 AM EST
As long as you are careful siphoning, shouldn't be a big deal, its certainly aged through when you would normally use a secondary.  I'm a big believer in the 1-2-3 method.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
1-2-3 method? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 09:49:38 AM EST
What is that?

I suppose I should get a lagering order from northwest, too.

1-2-3 by sasquatchan (4.00 / 3) #5 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 09:59:13 AM EST
  1. buy beer at store
  2. drink it
  3. profit.

Mostly an ale method. by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 01:43:10 PM EST
1 Week Primary

2 Weeks Secondary

3 Weeks Aging in bottle or keg

It's an ale methodology, designed for beers of about 6%abv or less.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Oh, I was going to do 3 days in the keg by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 02:15:16 PM EST
but it is under CO2.

GWB WIPO by Herring (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 10:01:39 AM EST
Jesus.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
added by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 11:44:39 AM EST

You misunderstand by Herring (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 12:23:02 PM EST
When asked who his favourite philosopher was, GWB answered Jesus. So, I am suggesting that he would give the same answer for favourite physicist.

No, it isn't very funny.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Are you kidding me? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 12:25:18 PM EST
Transmutation of elements (shades of the Foundation trilogy) is some heavy duty physics work, you know, turning H2O into ethanol and such.

I see Jesus as more of a chemist by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 12:41:28 PM EST
You know, chlorine in the pool ....

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Wouldn't he more of by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 05:01:52 PM EST
an al-Chemist?
WIPO: Faraday [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 11:52:06 AM EST

Thanks, I know I missed a few big names by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 11:53:29 AM EST

define favorite by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 02:12:43 PM EST
favorite one I slept with?
favorite one I partied with?

back in college, one of the groups I got mixed up with was the physics grad students.

I would be most impressed if you partied by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 02:14:40 PM EST
or slept with anyone on that list.

I'd be a little afraid by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 02:16:04 PM EST
but I'd feel better about being out-of-shape.

Hawkings is still alive by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 02:17:45 PM EST
and Feynman only died a decade ago or so.

yeah but by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 02:20:30 PM EST
clock has made an honest woman out of me.  honest enough, that is.

and i was far too busy back in the day to go out of my way to sleep with famous people.  it was all about convenience.  i'm lazy like that.

oh, the synchronicity by lm (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 04:36:25 PM EST
A guy I was good friends with my senior year of high school and I only just found this week on Facebook was complaining about his dog being a racist.

Oh, and hand drills are underrated. There are quite a few applications where hand drills beat the powered competition to pieces.

Cicero, The Republic
The original cordless drill by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 04:57:52 PM EST
though mine is kind of puny, it has a wheel with a knob on it to turn the drill, not a big crank.

I would not mind dating another physicist again by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 09:04:55 PM EST
but the last one broke my heart.
6.022 x 10^23 by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 11:23:03 PM EST