- Definitely worth doing. I haven't sold $8k worth of books in the last year and a half or more, so to raise that much in a month is remarkable. I think the Kickstarter gimmick appeals to people, and it certainly got me motivated to think about my book, think about how to pitch it to people, think about what I might offer that people would actually be interested in having.
- I suppose I might-could have set a higher goal and a longer period. I was still sending out personalized appeals up until the last minute, and there were several people that I didn't even get to. But frankly I need to get going on the project, and needed to bring in whatever cash I could.
- Should have sent a note to Tim O'Reilly before 3 PM on the last day of he fund drive. He's an old friend but I didn't want to pester him, since he already has done so much for me by letting me pimp my books at his conferences, etc. I wasn't going to ping him at all, but a mutual friend told me I was being an idiot, so I sent time a note. He sent out a tweet a few hours later, 2.5 hours before the drive ended. Tim has 1,289,000 followers on twitter. I took in $755 in pledges in that last 2 hours.
- Of the $8,060 pledged, $900 have not cleared -- credit card declined or whatever. Originally it was closer to $1,100, but a bunch of those that bounced were later rectified. Still uncollected are a $750 and a $100 pledge. I'll know within the next few days whether they'll be made good or not. But just shows to go ya. Don't hatchet your counts before they've chickened.
- My website sucks for selling books and I should be shot for not having an up-to-date mail list and a regular newsletter. I should be shot for not asking people to sign up for my newsletter before they download my books for free. ASAP I need to overhaul my website & get an opt-in newsletter going. I should be selling a LOT more books.
- Lots of very decent & generous people out there, including several HuSites, who evidently like my books. Very gratifying when somebody I've never met, just some person who has bought my books over the years, makes a $250 pledge.
- I'll have to find some other way to bring in $$ in January/Feb. I've had not luck finding writing gigs, but maybe I can go back to furniture moving part time?
- I need to write Creation Science fast, now that I've accepted all this dough. It had better be damn good, too.
|< Hey, it's office thanskgiving. | I hope they do time for this crime... >|