Print Story Just what I always wanted
Death
By Dr H0ffm4n (Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 07:46:36 AM EST) (all tags)
My own little bunny rabbit. I will name him George, and I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him... Bugs Bunny - The Abominable Snow Rabbit (1961)

Three years ago WPKAW and Minor Midget found a rabbit in our front yard. We tried to find his owner, but no one came forward to claim him. I was pestered until I relented and we kept him. We called him George. He has been the only constant in the 18 months since WPKAW's death. He wasn't a very friendly bunny. He didn't seek attention. But he was always there, gnawing on skirting boards, chewing through electrical cables, leaving little messages for you to tread on in bare feet.

Two weeks ago he collapsed and was left lame and mostly blind. There was some small hope that he might recover as he'd had a similar episode two years ago and made a near full recovery. But after two weeks he still couldn't get to his litter tray, couldn't find food or water left out for him.

Last night I reluctantly took George to the vets for the last time.

He is now buried in the sheltered North facing shrubbery border, opposite the olive tree we planted last summer as a memorial to WPKAW.

< little bits of moonbeams are shooting like death rays out of my nose | The Final Tally >
Just what I always wanted | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
i'm sorry to hear it. by clock (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 07:58:13 AM EST
that's just awful.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I'm sorry by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 08:04:28 AM EST
Rabbits are really good pets. I had one when I was a kid. Used to take her to the park and watch on as she marveled at all the grass there was to eat.

But yeah, the downside is they don't live very long.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Awwww. :-( by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 08:19:23 AM EST
It's always sad when pets' short lives come to an end. He's at peace now.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

That's hard, another loss by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 11:57:18 AM EST

A hard thing by Breaker (4.00 / 4) #5 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 12:14:14 PM EST
That final trip to the vet, even though as in this case it was the right thing to do.

Tonight I will sup a toast to the memory of George, Scourge of Skirting Boards, Cable's Bane and Despoiler of Carpets.

Sorry for your loss.