Print Story Healthcare reform will break the country.
By nightflameblue (Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 11:47:28 AM EST) (all tags)
Hear the refrain.

I try so hard to avoid this topic because people are so blindly ignorant and bleat their ignorance so loudly about it. But I'm really, REALLY tired of it. A person, I won't say who, goes on and on about how any form of healthcare reform will destroy the very foundation of society, then will turn around and spend thirty minutes complaining about how much shuffling they have to do to go to specialists and make sure in-network, out-of-network, blah, blah doctors and drugs cost too much and everything is so difficult to deal with. BUT WE DON'T NEED REFORM.

Then today I go to ask our insurance expert in HR about what happens if we discover our health insurance could be had cheaper through my wife's company instead of mine. The answer? "You can double-coverage until our plan term is over, but you can only drop our coverage if the plan provider agrees that you will save a significant amount of money." What the fuck does that mean? The current anal assailant will only agree to let a new anal assailant take over if they discover that the new anal assailant's cock is "significantly" smaller, if not, we'll just have to tolerate double penetration until the plan's "term" is over.

And this is OK?

But we don't need reform. Reform will destroy the country and absolutely demolish what's left of the economy. I've been assured.

I think the real problem is that people are easy to trick on this subject. The government, for generations, not just a few years, have been EXCELLENT at selling a plan as a cost savings, and then managing to make it actually be a huge cost increase once put into effect. So, yes, we need reform to lower overall costs. However, NO ONE has any faith in the government being any good at lowering costs and increasing efficiency.

It is a tough pill to swallow. (HAR HAR) Something should be done. Nobody seems to have a clue as to what. And even those that have a partial clue get shut down by those with the chicken-little sky-is-falling syndrome that's running roughshod over anyone who tries to take the logical approach to any political subject.

Bleh.

And speaking of unpalatable things, what in the name of crazy does Sarah Palin think she's doing, and why is the media helping her do it?

________

LLT seems to be upping her game. Now every feeding includes one solid clamp onto either a finger or thumb, a not-so-subtle reminder that she's feeling better and doesn't need me to pry her jaw open anymore. Except, she doesn't open up for her calcium supplement until I give her a little nudge. *NIP* The fact that I can actually feel the nips now is kinda nice. Means she's getting ever better. Little miss independent.

She downed her first cricket over the weekend. She may have taken another one this morning, as I couldn't find any evidence of it in her enclosure before her babyfood breakfast. Getting a little tummy on her now. She's also a lot more attentive and alert when we're around.

The new aquarium got a big pile of knotwood/driftwood in it this weekend. It looks really pretty. If I ever get to stop running around like a maniac I'll try and get some pictures of it when the light is still on some evening. I also did a little upgrade to one of the two filters, moving the old filter to the "hospital tank" to take care of the newcomers until they're off quarantine. The new filter, with much more flow, seemed to make everybody in there happy as they're much more active now and are actually hungry when I go to feed them instead of just watching things float by lazily. Bonus.

The newcomers? Went and grabbed eight baby Rasboras. I originally had six in the little tank, lost two through suicide by carpet, and one to some sort of physical ailment. The three left were perfectly happy in the little tank, but in the big tank seem a little lost and confused. Since all research points to them liking schools of six or more, I figured I'd up their numbers to something more reasonable now that they're in a much larger tank. A couple weeks in the "hospital" in the back room, and I'll move them in.

Sadly, one already didn't make it. The other seven are greedy, hungry, busy little creatures. I'm not sure what happened to the one, but the others certainly don't seem to have the same problem.

Current plans:

1. Two weeks from quarantined day move the newbs to the big tank
  2. On that day, put a few "dwarf cories" or whatever they're calling them these days in quarantine. Possibly a couple more ottos too.
  3. Two weeks from that day, move in survivors from second quarantine routine.
  4. DONE

The overall plan is the ten rasboras, five or six mini-cories, four ottos (including the two already there). In an over-filtered thirty, that seems like it'll probably be plenty. Then I'll let things settle in and see where everything ends up.

Mrs. NFB is much happier with this overall plan than my original plan of "we don't need more fish." She seemed to think the thirty looked way too empty as is. I'm all about light stock for the most part, but I could tell my little Rasboras were not happy. Lots of hanging in the back low-flow corner going on. Not much swimming the currents like they used to do in the little tank.

Speaking of Mrs. NFB, the guitar amp that she ordered for me changed availability every day for about two weeks until it finally ended up with no availability listed at all. She told me to call them and straighten it out because she had a hard enough time figuring out the first go-round.

I called. I'm now getting a Bugera V5 instead. The reviews and clips I've heard make it sound right up my alley. However, my understanding is they have a tendency to either blow up in the first week or two, or last forever. I'm hoping I get one of the ones from column two in that particular spread, but if not, I have 45 days to get a replacement. Oi.

The big feature difference from what was on order is a nice one. It has a tenth of a watt setting. Behold, cranked tubey goodness at TV levels. If it works, it'll be exactly what I've been wanting: a practice amp that won't annoy the neighbors. If it doesn't work, replacement won't be too hard.

I guess we'll see in a week or so.

I think that about covers the last week.

Oh, BTW, most of you who voted last time voted wrong. Real Americans know it's underdog. Freakish families of wandering gypsies, like Mrs. NFB's clan, call it underduck. It's especially funny that we grew up only about forty miles from each other, yet people who grew up much further away call it underdog. People who grew up in her town call it underduck. Still more seem to say, "I call it pushing extra high," or some variation.

But Mrs. NFB's family will be happy to see the online community backs up her wrongness. I'll pass the word.

< For the last 18 months or so... | "Thoughs", "a perverse university education" >
Healthcare reform will break the country. | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You crazy USians by Herring (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 11:54:07 AM EST
The healthcare "debate" has stopped me watching The Daily Show. It's not funny anymore.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
It's not a debate. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 01:25:09 PM EST
It stopped being a debate right around the time the town hall "meetings" turned into luny freaks screaming obscenities at anyone that tried to say anything topical.

Also, according to what I've found, it's an actual IRS regulation that requires us to keep both plans for double-dicking action if we don't save "significantly" on the new plan. And they define "significant." I'm feeling the power of DUR setting in here.

There's a lot of shouting by Herring (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 02:21:23 PM EST
But you have to admire the way people with excellent health coverage (senators, Fox "News" "Journalists") persuade people with crap health coverage to protest about someone wanting to give them better coverage.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Blind obedience. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 02:59:00 PM EST
People refuse to think about it, and just go with whatever their party leaders tell them. People no longer need persuaded. All they need is a little tiny nudge and they'll jump off the cliff without needing any further incentive.

Palin by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 12:54:47 PM EST
She thinks she's selling a book, and running for President in 2012. The media is helping her because the epic crash 'n' burn (especially if she gets the nomination) will make for higher ratings. "If it bleeds it leads".

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

my normally rational by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 04:50:13 PM EST
republican (not just conservative, republican) cubemate doesn't see anything odd, or unusual about Palin. Any recommendations of things about her I can point out? I already asked about resigning as governor mid-term, and he didn't seem to mind.

palin fans are a lost cause by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 09:04:53 PM EST

Katie Couric Interview clips on Youtube by theboz (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 07:25:12 AM EST
What kind of fucking idiot is even incapable of answering simple questions like, "What magazines or newspapers do you read?"

The fact that Tina Fey would have the audience on SNL laughing so strongly by merely quoting Palin verbatim without making any jokes is another clue.

If you want, you can probably find some quotes from her that prove she now contradicts what she said last year, but I doubt that would matter to your coworker.
- - - - -

Look up her GMA interview yesterday. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 09:03:29 AM EST
Or, really, any interview she's ever done. Every time she opens her mouth a flow of stupid comes out that would leave anyone with half a clue either laughing or crying. Maybe both.

Baba Wawa + Palin = comedy gold. Until you realize they actually believe themselves.

You can get lots of stuff by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 08:20:38 AM EST
At The Atlantic.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

recent post on.. by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Nov 21, 2009 at 01:21:19 PM EST
how Palin lied

Simpler explanation by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 08:05:42 PM EST
Palin is making a metric fuck ton  of money.

The media wants in on the gravy train.

I'm not certain that either plans far enough in advance to worry about 2012 yet.

Cicero, The Republic
I've got the brains, you've got the looks by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 08:21:38 AM EST
Let's make lots of money

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

How can health care ever be cheaper... by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 01:57:55 AM EST
If there is someone there waiting to pay the bill with a blank check? This is true whether it's private insurance holding the check and sometimes they tear it up and walk away, or if it's government. If we go with the latter, the sequence is inevitable, price controls leads to rationing through doctor quotas, and those lead to nationalization of medical professions to avoid that, which then leads to government payment of all medical school bills and fees, which means it will be more of an affirmative action program than a system for accepting the best and the brightest.

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
so what you are saying by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 03:28:53 AM EST
is that only the american system produces good doctors and all them commie yerpian doctors are just glorified plumbers?

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Yeah really by theboz (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 07:26:39 AM EST
I don't get the whole, "Government-run health care obviously can't work and no nation on Earth does it successfully" argument when even the CIA factbook places nations that have government-run health care rated far above ours.
- - - - -
So you're saying... by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 09:02:14 PM EST
That because the _CIA_ says that others are better, they are better? Why are we trusting the CIA again?

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
The CIA, the U.N., etc. by theboz (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Nov 21, 2009 at 12:08:05 AM EST
They all pretty much say the same thing.
- - - - -
And why... by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Nov 21, 2009 at 02:03:05 AM EST
Do you trust any of them?

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
And speaking of unpalatable things by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 08:35:47 PM EST
Except Newsweek.  They're sexist because they dared to show her in gasp RUNNING SHORTS

Click
To be fair by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Nov 19, 2009 at 09:00:50 AM EST
Supposedly that picture wasn't to be released to anyone but the fitness magazine it was shot for. I must say though, the "news" programs are doing a good job of blowing this non-controversy completely out of proportion. They actually had quotes rattling around this morning about how conservatives should NEVER show their legs. WOT?

that's a different thing by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Nov 21, 2009 at 02:47:25 PM EST
copyright infringement is not sexism.

Click