Print Story Watership Down
Funny stuff
By gzt (Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 11:28:03 AM EST) gzt, staffing report, turkish delight, watership down (all tags)
I picked up Don Quixote again for reading on the train a couple days ago, but it is really too large of a book for successfully reading on the train, at least in the edition I have. So, I stole my wife's copy of Watership Down, which is much more friendly for train reading. I have, of course, read it before.

Okay, slight problem: we're moving the couches early on Saturday, but a mate of mine is having a birthday shindig late on Friday. Hmm. Okay, maybe I'll push moving back slightly. Or not. As an aside, I think I've been to that venue before, actually, and ran into some of this crowd by coincidence there.

How friggin' hard is it to find a doctor around here? The "provider finder" my insurance company has sucks - it's misled me in the past. The doctor's office just around the corner, which seemed promising, is only taking new gynecological and pediatric patients. Etc etc. I'll succeed eventually. There are a couple places nearby to try, I'll see if they aren't horrible monsters about it. There's a hospital not far from work, I sent in an internet form to set up an appointment with an internal medicine guy, maybe that will work. They should get back to me today. If that fails, there are two hospitals near where I live to try...

Blood pressure: 105/53.

Cooking with coconut oil: rather nice. We should get more to cook with. I'll bet the grocery stores around our place will have some, they have all sorts of imported things. The sweets stores will definitely have Turkish delight. But, yes: we should learn the art of curry.

Teh Wife reads this, you know. Maybe some day she'll start commenting, too. That's not a suggestion. It's an idle thought.

I should eat lunch and then finish off this staffing report.

We have so much bacon! We have to figure out what to do with it.

Quite fortunately, my parents wisely decided against seeing both sets of grandparents at Thanksgiving. So, while it will be a large amount of driving, it will not be an absurd and painful amount of driving.

< The only memorial for uncle R. | Workflow State >
Watership Down | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
you had bacon on by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 11:44:20 AM EST
the registry ?

why the hell not? by gzt (4.00 / 3) #5 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 12:04:25 PM EST
I regret nothing. I lived as few men dared to dream!

What's her nic? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 11:47:23 AM EST
Writer In Residence
Dewey Wang
miserere
hugin hugin
capital hugin
test_3501
the user formerly known as hugin

one of the above?

Thirteen year old tried Watership Down, found it boring. Not enough Warrior Cats, or Tamora Pierce in it I guess.

I don't think she has an account. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 11:51:31 AM EST
At least, I hope not, I haven't been impressed by Writer in Residence.

Thanks for reading, though. I am by Writer In Residence (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 02:49:20 PM EST
not very familiar with Watership Down. My work is mostly horror and sci-fi and some fantasy and erotica.

I don't mean it personally... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 02:56:38 PM EST
...it's just not my cup of tea.

Not taking it personally, since people by Writer In Residence (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 06:52:49 PM EST
pay me money for it. But, I liked Watership Down when I was kid, FWIW.

See, that's how I know you're not my wife. NT by gzt (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 08:41:37 AM EST
Not wife.

I think WiR is my 14yr old midget by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 02:57:45 AM EST
Similar writing style

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 11:59:32 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Watership Down by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 12:26:42 PM EST
is one of my all time favourite fiction books. It's so lovely. So well written, with so much depth yet easy to access. I can't wait till Popsicle reads well enough to read it, she'll love it.

*twinkle*twinkle*

I learned the hard way. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #7 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 01:56:03 PM EST
That's not a good book for the very young.

Well, at least she's 20 now by marvin (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 03:44:11 PM EST
Are you still paying for counseling?

The Air Force is. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 05:28:30 AM EST
So indirectly - yes.

and you're still talking to her by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 09:28:28 AM EST
what happened to loyalty?

I would never endorse the Army for women. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 09:37:31 AM EST
Especially for my own spawn.

Okay, she may come back a Fundy though by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 10:04:07 AM EST
apparently the AF is filled with them (save for my vegan buddy in NoVA).

She already is. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 10:33:37 AM EST
Don't ask.

The AF is perfect for her then by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 10:36:26 AM EST

IME by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 02:25:28 PM EST
back in the day, Zoomies were heathens.

My high school AFROTC chum certainly was by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Nov 13, 2009 at 08:46:37 AM EST

I haven't read Watership Down in years by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 03:03:44 PM EST
have a copy on the shelf. I remember the movie, oh, 20 years ago, was very close to the book. It was a cartoon, so people took little kids to it, so being fairly true to the book (which is surprisingly violent) it was way too violent to take little kids to.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I remember seeing the film in the theater by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 06:35:27 PM EST
WIki says it was released in '78 so I would have been about 7. In a world with WWF on Saturday morning television, I don't think Watership Down was too violent for kids. Well, at least not for some kids. And it certainly wasn't as violent as some of the stuff that gets shown in prime time on broadcast television these days.

I should put the book down on my short list of books to (re)read.

Cicero, The Republic
I don't think Don Quixote is worth finishing by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 06:44:21 PM EST
It has its moments. From an academic perspective, it's pretty interesting to see the origin of certain comedic themes that have persisted to the present day. But it's quite a bit of reading for very little benefit.

Perhaps if I learned Spanish, it would be better in the original language.

Cicero, The Republic