Print Story Does This Qualify As Irony?
Family
By atreides (Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 01:26:49 PM EST) (all tags)
I think I'm headed back to Ft. Worth.

My father has taken a turn for the better and then for the worse in the last couple of days. This afternoon, the doctor treating him called to ask me to act as a medical power of attorney since my father is floating in and out. He'll be back in ICU sometime today.

What are the odds that even though I haven't seen him in 17 years before last week, I now hold my father's life in my hands?

In less craptastic news, thanks to those of you who pointed good karma at me this morning. I believe I killed in the interview today. I should know in a few days whether or not I got it. I'm sure I'll be in the top three but not number one. However, stranger things have happened.

That is all.

Update [2009-11-10 19:47:50 by atreides]: Well, I got the call. He just died. So I'll be heading up to make funeral arrangements. It's hard to feel broken up. For all intents and purposes, he hasn't existed for me for 17 years. At least we spoke before the end.

< You are leaving the American sector. | Facial Hair and Prostate Cancer >
Does This Qualify As Irony? | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
*hugs* by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 01:39:58 PM EST
...with the Sovereign's kind permission, of course.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Re: the update by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 03:31:20 PM EST
Sorry to hear it. I hope the arrangements and so forth go as well as they can.

:-(

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Probably a tragedy in Greek lit by marvin (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 01:59:44 PM EST
I'd go to a Shakespeare play derived from a story like that. I don't know the backstory here, but I have no doubt that you'll do the right thing, with integrity and compassion.

Irony? by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 02:12:29 PM EST
Maybe steely, or coppery.

Bronzey?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Steely... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 02:48:48 PM EST
The ties that bind by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 02:19:45 PM EST
Family ties like this do not fade regardless of time, distance, and relationship.  That's why.

I'm sorry to hear your Father has taken a turn for the worse.  I hope he gets better.

Good luck on the job, glad to hear you knocked it out of the park.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Wow. by technician (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 04:06:34 PM EST
Well, condolences. At least, yeah, you got to speak to him.

As usual, if you need anything from the locals, let us know.

I'm sorry to hear it. by clock (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 05:05:22 PM EST
My condolences to you and yours.  If you need anything, you have the direct line.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I'm sorry by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 05:07:09 PM EST
But yeah, you did get to see him before it was too late.  That does count for something.  Let us know if you need anything (babysitting, etc).

What a funny world... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 05:26:41 PM EST
often funny Ha Ha.. although not this time. This time it's just funny weird. What a peculiar thing death is that it makes you close to someone you don't really know, and here you are tying up his loose ends. I wish you ease with that task, as I know it can be trying. Also, hugs. I know you are a feeling guy, so if nothing else it's saying goodbye for real, forever. How lucky we are that he was here long enough to give us you, and how lucky he is that he got to see you so he could be proud.

*twinkle*twinkle*

I'm sorry by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 05:32:24 PM EST
at least you got to talk one last time.

Sounds hard. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 05:54:08 PM EST
Be strong. And be glad for seeing him the other day.

What littlestar said. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 06:35:04 PM EST
I'm so sorry for your loss -- not just the physical loss now, but for the 17 years (and longer?) that you didn't have someone to be your dad. My very best to you as you tie up loose ends and make the final arrangements. It's not easy, and you're being an amazing stand-up man for taking care of it.
*hug* by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 08:28:38 PM EST
i'm sorry to hear that.

peace be with him. and also with you.

Ah, hell by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 10:18:54 PM EST
I'm sorry to hear it.  My sympathies to you and your family.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Peace by hulver (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 12:12:01 AM EST
My thoughts to you and yours.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Sorry man. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 03:39:58 AM EST
NT

Sorry to hear about your dad by debacle (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 07:36:13 AM EST
And here I was going to make a Luke/Vader joke.

As you say by R343L (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 08:40:15 AM EST
At least you got to talk.

Does This Qualify As Irony? | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback