Print Story That was a waste of a 12 inch reflector
Books
By georgeha (Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 12:13:48 PM EST) telescopes, planets, blood (all tags)
aka clouds 1, astronomy 0

Plus Anathem, Jupiter, good week, good blood and less.

Poll: Favorite blood test measurement?

It was a productive if generally boring Saturday. I took both girls to the Y for swim class. One to swim, one to sell Girl Scout cookies. Eight year old decided that without her favorite teacher being there, she wasn't going to swim, so we quickly came home. No workout for me, so I had plenty of energy to take out screens and put in storm windows and vacuum. I noticed that the big window in the guest/eight year old's room had a cracked pane, and the putty was falling off, I should take off the rails and replace that. I'd also be able to fix the sash cords, I'm considering it.

Later on, off to the observatory on top of the Planetarium, but the clouds were too thick. I was told with the nearly full moon, viewing would be less than ideal anyhow. The next one is south of the city in Mendon Ponds tonight, if it's not overcast, we'll go.

In other Y news, I had a quick Cybex workout Monday, and didn't get assaulted!

Later Monday night I was able to set up thirteen year old's small scope to see Jupiter, then the clouds moved in. My dad has a telescope, I should look at it before considering buying a bigger beginner scope.

In fallout from being assaulted, my glasses are so bent my slip-on sunglasses no longer fit. I have the money in my FSA, I guess I'll get new ones.

Welcome to 2008, or I finally picked up Anathem from our local library. I suppose I can dispense with spoilers, since it's been out a year. It's another big, dense Stephenson book, with the stereotypical bright and virginal male protagonist who is tougher than he looks, and chock full of math and philosophy. At first I thought it would be a struggle (like the beginning Waterhouse sections of Quicksilver), all about Erasmus's cloistered life in some sort of co-ed monestary, but soon enough it picks up into a globe spanning adventure, with math and philosophy tangents (get it, tangents!). So good I'm rereading it before returning it to the library.

I had an appointment with my primary care phsycian this morning, it was a review of my bloodwork, rather than a physical. My blood work is looking good, no signs of lupus, diabetes, arthritis or other auto-immune disorders on the horizon, wbc up, sed rate where it should be, blood sugar levels good. My bp is excellent, 92/60, and I'll get a flu shot eventually. I took extra precautions in case of a prostate exam, but it wasn't that kind of visit.

Work is still busy, I'm working to avoid going to Nashville while taking calls from our friends in Ohio, other than that, the week has been good. Real good.

Saturday we're going to a work friend's of my wife's for dinner, we're meeting before at a farmer's market across from my parents for some Halloween fest. I hope the goats are still there.

< Tornado at night, sailor's delight. | I've got way too much to do today >
That was a waste of a 12 inch reflector | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
bp by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 12:38:21 PM EST
my bp is slightly high. on the other hand, my non-sick resting pulse is bizarrely (40-50) low.
Are you Vulcan? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 01:43:31 PM EST
oh wait, they have low bp and a high heart rate.

Clouds... by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 12:49:50 PM EST
Many years ago when I lived in Utah we went out to the observatory to look at a Shoemaker-Levy 9 hitting Jupiter. This being the desert it clouded up and rained. Every night that week. Not constantly, but enough.

Clouds roll away, everyone rushes to the scopes (biggest was a 24" newtonian), observe for 5 to 10 minutes. Clouds roll back in, everyone covers the scopes and goes back inside. For 5 days. Oi.

I get my liver function checked every 6 months since I'm on a statin for cholesterol (also checked every 6 months). Since I'm on a low salt diet my BP is nice and low and since I get plenty of exercise my heartrate is decent, despite my being fat.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I get my liver tested too by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 01:00:08 PM EST
I'm not sure of that exact name, and I left the sheets in my car.

Over here, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 03:26:38 PM EST
The blood sheets say LFT (Liver Function Tests) . TFT for thyroid.

Still, my favourite's CRP (C reactive protein). Particularly low CRP. I like having a low CRP. And enough Fe and Ca.

I'm no longer anemic by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 03:35:10 PM EST
I guess I was borderline before.

I also like having a low CRP, it's like, feeling normal.

I've struggled through by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 04:40:20 PM EST
About 21 tablets of Ferrous Fumarate so far, and my bowels are suffering quite badly. On the other hand, my energy levels are great.

I'm a liver test? by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 08:50:23 AM EST
sweet!
---------
I thought of you when I was writing it by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 09:24:49 AM EST
I would have made a thin film of transistors/thyroid function test joke too, had I not been writing on an OLED screen.

don't forget by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Oct 12, 2009 at 10:37:55 AM EST
the newest addition to the FlightTest family goes by TFT.
---------
wipo by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 01:22:07 PM EST
the followup after the blow in the stick kind.

PT/INR by clock (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 01:26:35 PM EST
it's my favorite!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

You need really low blood pressure by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 02:29:07 PM EST
so you can just ooze.

I missed the part by johnny (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 07:47:23 PM EST
about your having been assaulted. Very sorry to hear that. Glad that you're (apparently) well, and I hope you'll forgive me for not going back to the archives to read the account. Assaults too much on my mind lately.

I wish I had the time/patience/$$/motivation/oomph to pursue astronomy. Every time I've gone to an "amateur astronomy night" and looked through somebody else's telescope my mind has been completely blown (as we old guys say). Good for you, and especially for bringing this knowledge to your children.

I'm sorry, I cannot read any more Neal Stephenson. I very much liked Cryptonomicon, even though it made me want to (and actually do) throw it against the wall from time to time. I'm sure he's a fine writer.

However, today comes the news that not only did my and Cheeseburger's "The Pains" not make Theophile's "books read" list, it also didn't make Millman's.

Now of course in my opinion (and I don't care about anybody else's), Stephenson & I write the same shite, only mine is better. But Neal Stephenson is famous & rich while I'm obscure and broke.  NEED I SAY MORE?? FUCK HIM! FUCK HIM IN THE BUTT!

About your bloodwork: First, good, it looks like you're well. Second: On my facebook page the other day I said something about "it's never Lupus".  It was a joke, a propos of something that  I now forget, that referenced the TV show "House" in which Dr. Gregory House who is always wrong until he is ultimately right, says, "it's never Lupus."  This is a big web meme and whole T-shirt industries are built around it.

Of course when I posted that snarky comment to Facebook I wasn't thinking of my cousin Jerry (a facebook friend I hardly know in so-called real life), whose mother, my Aunt Ellen, youngest sister of my mother, died of Lupus at age 33 in 1972 when I was in college & Jerry was about 8 years old.

There were repercussions.

It's all a big gigantic frackin' mystery. All of it. If I ever get to Rochester, I hope you'll show me some planets through your telescope.

It was more of a wild flail that bent my glasses by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 08:39:56 AM EST
from an young autistic man, it didn't hurt me, though it pissed me off, and I will need to get new glasses.

I don't do a "books read" list by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 08:52:17 AM EST
but if i did, The Pains would be on it.
---------
Now yer talkin'! <nt/> by johnny (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 10:11:18 AM EST

WIPO: Urate by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 02:06:23 AM EST
Well, maybe not favourite, but most frequently taken.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Girl Scouts Cookies by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Oct 13, 2009 at 02:40:02 PM EST
Jeepers, I still have about twenty boxes of the blinking things from last year.   We don't do GS cookies until Winter hereabouts.

---------------