Print Story Tornado at night, sailor's delight.
Law
By gzt (Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 11:57:32 AM EST) gzt, this may kill us all, ticket, doctor, obama, donut wheel (all tags)
I never should've mentioned how my registration was expired yesterday. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED.

So I parked the car Wednesday and, as usual, I looked casually for "NO PARKING - STREET CLEANING ON THURSDAY" signs. I didn't see any. They are usually very visible. I didn't see any on the other streets in the neighborhood as I was driving around, though I did notice signs for FRIDAY. They have to post them at least 24 hours in advance. I get back home last night and am about to drive to R's and see I have two tickets. One for street cleaning, one for expired registration. $50 each. And my new tags still haven't come in the mail. WTF. Today makes 10 business days. If they're not here today, I'll be pissed. Anyway. Today I made sure to park on the opposite side of the street from the FRIDAY signs. Still, any cop could come by and see the opportunity for free revenue. Bastards. I'm not hurting for money, but I also don't have tons to spare, like I can just afford to throw down tickets. I'd be willing to bet an additional $50 that there weren't actually signs properly posted, but there's no way of proving it. Appeals by mail, even if you have proof, are usually just denied as a matter of course. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

I would just like to say that, though I initially was marrying R only for the money, I've grown rather fond of her.

I am seriously confused about the Nobel Peace Prize. It, like literature, has officially drifted off my radar. Well, okay, literature usually picks a high-quality author, but it has a Germanic - including English - bias. Economics isn't really a Nobel Prize, so I don't care. Chemistry and the rest are still pretty decent. But it's like how Elephant and Fahrenheit 9/11 won the Palme d'Or at Cannes. I will admit that Fahrenheit was certainly the film of the moment and was exactly what a lot of people were looking for, and that Moore was very skillful in plugging that hole. But a Palme d'Or?

We really like where we're having the reception. If only it weren't 10 miles from the hall.

My Donut Pod died with a 1437 error. There's a Donut Wheel store down the block. I may take it in. I don't have internet at home right now, otherwise I'd try to fix it there. The only question is whether it would cost money to fix it like that.

I tried to post a reply on a web-log about this, but it wouldn't go, so I will post it here. A man was replying to an article in his web-log and referred to the author of the article as Dr. Such-and-Such. The author of the article was not styled as Dr. Such-and-Such in the article, nor were any indications of his credentials given in the article, but the man was personally known to the bloggeur (and I have made his acquaintance too, actually, now that I think of it). I was going to comment that the man has a Ph.D., not an M.D. or D.D.S. or whatever, and thus should properly not be addressed with the title Doctor any more than a man with a J.D. should (NB: the bloggeur has a J.D.). Especially as the publication did not make any mention of his credentials - though we are all familiar with them. Many people have Ph.D.s, and unless they style themselves as Doctor, they should not be addressed as Doctor, and even if they do style themselves as Doctor, you are best off not indulging them. I keep saying this. Nobody heeds me.

Oh good grief, I think this may kill us all.

< random TV ramblings | That was a waste of a 12 inch reflector >
Tornado at night, sailor's delight. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
easy errors by garlic (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 01:25:09 PM EST
will be fixed with no cost. medium errors they may just do the websearch for you and tell you what you need to do when you get home.

google reveals... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 01:42:59 PM EST
...likely a dead hard drive. Whee. It was a refurb nano 3G I got for a decent price, like, nearly two years ago, so I guess it has served its sentence. It's outlived its warranty, at least. No money to replace. I do have a shuffle bouncing around somewhere, I just need to get one of those USB charger cords for it...

He fixes the cable? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 09:40:11 PM EST

A title of doctor for people with doctoral degrees by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 09:42:30 AM EST
I don't see what's wrong with it any more than referring to people with a master degree as master.

In fact, in some quarters it's expected. For example, within the civi rights community, Martin Luther King, Jr. is almost always referred to as Dr. King.

Cicero, The Republic
At some point by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 10:58:57 AM EST
in the grad school career of everybody in my field, they submit a paper to the journal, and get back a letter from the editor addressed "Dear Dr. $insert_name_here".

This typically happens a couple years before the university confers a degree.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

the aba discourages it, but by nathan (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 10:20:12 AM EST
JDs can indeed refer to themselves as "Doctor." There's a case on it somewhere.

ABA prefers Esq., sensibly enough.

OTOH, my wife is an academic and it's de rigeur for her colleagues to sign their emails "Dr. So-and-so." She was peer-pressured by her department head into using the title on her faculty page.

but anybody can put Esq after their name by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Oct 11, 2009 at 06:04:33 PM EST
And she's in the humanities. That explains their wants which should not be indulged.

fine arts != humanities by nathan (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Oct 12, 2009 at 05:54:06 PM EST
And while people can use "Esq." freely, it may be taken as evidence of unauthorized practice of law.

if they're also pretending to be lawyerly by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Oct 12, 2009 at 06:37:05 PM EST
well, it's not science. the scientists i know fastidiously avoid it, perhaps to avoid people presenting evidence of unauthorized practice of medicine.