Print Story I need a few grams of Damitol.
Help!
By gzt (Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 02:47:34 PM EST) gzt, technician, damitol (all tags)
Things were sailing smoothly, but we've found magic ways to stress ourselves out.

R dropped her phone in a glass of water and the phone contained all the contact information for her clients and her entire schedule. Given that she's already rather stressed about the whole "wedding in less than two weeks" thing, this was just fantastic.

Oh, and my cold has descended into my chest. Now I have a cough. Golly gee, what fun. Just what we needed.

Things that didn't get mentioned: so far, I'm up a creek when it comes to chairs for the church. As it's a rather traditionally outfitted Orthodox parish, it has no pews or chairs. Well, there are a couple pews for the elderly and infirm along the edges. I should've arranged sooner. The places I've called either don't deliver to the area for orders that small or are too swamped to take on additional business. How cool do you think people are with coming to a wedding and not sitting for 45 minutes? I'll try a couple more places today. And when are we going to have time to set these things up?

I have no idea when somebody will be home to let the phone guy in. The bastards arrange all day appointments, 8am-8pm. C'mon, any more granularity and we'd be able to maybe rig something, but I just can't guarantee somebody will be there for all 12 hours. Nobody was there yesterday, of course, so the appointment fell through. The DSL also didn't start working, but I am not sure whether that is predicated on the technician coming and turning on the phone service or not. If it isn't, they're bastards. If it is, I'm going to make extra sure to get this set up sometime, somehow, or something.

Work wants something by Friday. Uh... what the hell. What they want is going to be nonsense. This is all just nonsense.

We were supposed to start up the gas service today. R was there for it. I was at lunch and noticed a voicemail, it was left like ten minutes prior, saying the gas guy was there and nobody was answering, so I called R and she was there and I told her to call the number because I was at lunch and couldn't look things up and we have to reschedule with the fscking gas guy. When am I going to have time to go do these things? And the moment I go for the laundry or something will be the time they come. And for some reason my phone always sends these guys to voicemail. Every time. I'm going to step out for a moment and see if I can get gas and AT&T on the same day next week, because I might be able to take some time off or something and then put it to good use - but I'm taking time off otherwise. I need a few grams of Damitol.

It is clear that the world is conspiring against us. Or maybe just technician. That's right. technician, I am blaming you. For all of it. The chairs. The gas. The phone. The time. Especially the time. Damn you, technician.

< Rambling #2 | Insufficient Redundancy >
I need a few grams of Damitol. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The bridezilla clause by ana (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 03:15:18 PM EST
You're permitted to use the "i'm getting married in less than two weeks; I don't have time for your sh*t" excuse.

Limited time offer.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

she's really not throwing shit at me or anything by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 03:52:58 PM EST
It's just that, well, we're getting stressed. Destroying her phone that has all her clients' contact information and her schedule is kind of extremely stressful no matter what. I mean, that's how she makes money. Put that on top of having to figure out logistics for a major event... I think she's doing rather well. I'm stressed, I have a big project to do by Friday that, um, should have major bearing on how much everybody in my entire department gets paid. It's all me. Oh, and I have a wedding to do.

You misunderstood me. by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 03:55:50 PM EST
I meant to say, use the above quote on other people, outside the immediate in-group. Who knows, you might even get some sympathy from the phone company.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

It seems they're pretty snappy. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 04:02:48 PM EST
After being forwarded around like 20 incompetent people, I got to some guy with a gravelly voice who could help and was like, "We could come out tomorrow." Uh, too soon. "Friday?" Uh, I'm not going to be able to get off Friday, how about Monday? "Morning or afternoon?" Hmm. Afternoon. "How does 12-4 sound?" Sweet. I can swing that. Man. That's nice.

And I just called up a chair place and they were all, dude, we can totally do this.

Okay, now I can't breathe. Can't have too many things go right at the same time. Where's my damn albuterol...

Just... by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 04:07:13 PM EST
breathe. One breath at a time.

It'll happen. It'll be wonderful.

And the parts that aren't? That's what you'll laugh about later.

Nearly there now...

[can you tell i've been there and done that?]

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

No, I meant literally. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 04:20:13 PM EST
See the bit in the diary about how my cold has descended into my chest. Having a cold is pretty much the only thing that triggers my asthma anymore. That and running outside when it's less than 50 degrees out.

F#%%. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 04:35:35 PM EST
The next available appointment to turn on the gas is OCTOBER 23RD. We'll be gone, so, OCTOBER 26TH. FSCKERS.

perhaps by garlic (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 03:31:31 PM EST
you can ask your guests to bring their own chairs? If they're driving this is doable.

Is gzt often the last in the office? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 03:42:59 PM EST
office chairs would add a lot to a wedding.

Hell no. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 04:21:21 PM EST
I'm out soon after the people who get in at like 6:30 leave, since the people who come after me don't know what time I got in.

This strategy by barooo (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 09:50:47 AM EST
Only fails when you're the last one in...

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 04:39:27 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I've never destroyed a phone through water by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 12:37:32 AM EST
Dismantling, rinsing in distilled water or alcohol, followed by an extremely thorough drying of the components has always come through.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL