Print Story If six was nine...
Wizards and Hobbits
By Bob Abooey (Sat Oct 03, 2009 at 09:17:03 AM EST) (all tags)
So it's come to that eh?

The demise of my reports have been greatly demised. Or some such nonsense.

First - I'm really enjoying working in an office again. I like everything about my job - the people are great - the atmosphere is great - my parking spot is great (about 20 yards from The Jake) it's all good so far.

The bad - well - I just don't have any time at all. Not a friggin second. Today is the first time in a month when my todo list doesn't require any immediate action - thusly I'm finally getting some time to lounge about and play guitar and read and fart and whatnot.

The good - I can still play the guitar after not picking it up for three weeks - in fact other than feeling a bit stiff - it sounds pretty damn good - much better than I recall. Funny that.

The bad - I'm afraid I've gotten a bit, uh, soft, as it were. I messed up my knee and haven't don't much working out at all (except riding the new bike which isn't really much of a workout but better than nothing but I haven't even been on that in a week and a half) and I've been eating crap and well - that's how it all goes south I guess.

The good - I've gotten two real paychecks! It's nice to cram a couple grand into the savings account - as it's been a couple years since it's seen any deposits.

The bad - I've forgotten just what a pain in the arse rush hour traffic can be.

The Bad - My fantasy football teams look like crap again this year. I just can't catch a break.

Anybody have one of these squeezebox jobies??? Looks pretty nifty - I'm tempted.

The good - I'm taking NG to dinner and a movie tonight, we're going to see the new Michael Moore movie. Not because we're leftist nutjobs - we just find that sort of thing entertaining. Plus were going to stop by The Mall - I need a new pair of Winter boots and it won't be long afore she's here dontcha know.

Right - so that's it in a nutshell - time to get a move on!

< You know what the trouble with peace is? | Things >
If six was nine... | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Squeezebox by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Oct 03, 2009 at 10:51:21 AM EST
I have the original, which only has a two line display and is meant to be hooked up to a stereo.  I like it quite a bit.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Ah nostalgia by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Oct 03, 2009 at 11:33:51 AM EST
One Metrosexual and His Shoes.

Welcome back to form, Mr Abooey.

Now, about that lunch diary...

Winter boots? by duxup (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Oct 03, 2009 at 01:43:01 PM EST
Ever since I entered office work I haven't needed winter boots in ages.  Shoveling snow in shoes works just fine.

Also near Progressive Field? kinda late to be that close ;) or really early for next year.

____
Well by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 06:05:04 AM EST
Don't you go outside when you're not at work? Plus it's a damn fine fashion statement.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Mostly to my car and back by duxup (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 07:25:25 PM EST
or , places fairly well shoveled.
____
i CAN shovel in shoes by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 10:59:59 AM EST
but i got really sick of not being able to feel my toes by the time i was done. We may have a larger driveway than you- ours takes a snowblower if we don't want to be at it for hours.
---------
That is valid then by duxup (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 07:27:22 PM EST
Big driveways count.  My driveway is "big" three car big but not long enough to justify it for me.  But I'm a penny pincher / tightwad.

____
any manager jobs at your place? by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Oct 03, 2009 at 07:43:26 PM EST
clock wants to move back to the cleveburg area.

Cleveland Clinic is huge by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Oct 03, 2009 at 07:57:03 PM EST
at least we've placed a lot of big iron there.

You'll leave Texas? by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 12:51:02 AM EST
Really?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

yes :( by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 08:40:41 AM EST

Wha....? by technician (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 11:15:22 AM EST
At least try to move to + live in Austin for a little while....

with a dude, we'd rather not move around by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #13 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 02:30:38 PM EST
i'll see if i can carve out some time this week to post a very badly-needed update on stuff.

No by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 06:03:35 AM EST
We're hiring an IT admin guy to take care of the servers and whatnot - plus we're hiring another intern in the marketing division - that's all I know about. We're going to be hiring in 2010 if the economy starts moving and we continue our growth (18% this year!) but who really knows.

Sadly Cleveburgh isn't a real hot spot for anything techy - although there are some jobs out there if you keep plugging away and dig for them.

Good luck!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 07:56:08 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I'd take the opportunity by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 06:54:58 PM EST
to talk shit about the browns, but the stillers aren't doing much better this year :/ (even if two were last second losses..)

Heh by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 07:45:45 PM EST
The Browns are hopeless - talking smack about them is much like shooting fish in a proverbial barrel.

The Stillers, on the other hand - were actually supposed to be good. Course - it's a long season and they tend to start slow - so I wouldn't push the panic button just yet.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

and by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 10:38:43 PM EST
almost blow a gooddamn 28 point lead to the CHARGERS!

Click
Boot advice by lm (2.00 / 0) #18 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 07:52:35 PM EST
Get the army-issue steel toe model that they issue to all their skilled tradesmen (plumbers, electricians, etc.) and wear them with wool socks. They'll last damned near forever unless you're marchingwalking many, many miles in them per year. I think they're presently made by Addison Boot Company.

Also, wear the wool socks while trying on the boots.

That and IT work is a bit like golden handcuffs.

Cicero, The Republic
No, no, no. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 08:07:35 PM EST
Bob is a newly employed gentleman with a couple of paychecks burning holes in his bank account. Also, he's let it be known that he digs stylish accoutrements. Therefore, he really wants to get a pair of these. Practicality be damned!
I see your point, I suppose by lm (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 08:13:47 PM EST
But I'd hesitate to call those `high fashion' they don't even cost 3/4 of what my last pair of work shoes cost. Regrettably, Tauer and Johnson does not make winter boots.

Cicero, The Republic
Well, you do have a point. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 08:16:32 PM EST
I guess what I consider high-cost fashion needs to be revised. Those look like sweet shoes, though.
close, but not quite by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #23 Mon Oct 05, 2009 at 09:03:27 AM EST
those are "tough guy" boots, and bob isn't the tough-guy kind.  no, he's more of a classic adventure type.  I suggest these instead.

Perhaps the Manolo could help.

If six was nine... | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback