Print Story This is like the fifth straight week I've had a cold.
Health
By gzt (Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 10:48:19 AM EST) gzt, ikea, car, salvage, oxfords, broguing (all tags)
Seriously, dudes, whatte the swyve?

This is my first day back to work.

Things have been going great, though they are a bit crazy and filled with minor explosions. The very short term (ie, day-to-day) is rough, what with moving and reorganizing, but if you look in the long term (even a week-to-week term), it all looks great.

We don't really have any furniture for sitting on. We have dressers, coffee tables, and such. I was supposed to pick up a wardrobe during my trip to Ikea with the rented car, but I forgot. Oops. I got the other stuff, though.

Still thinking about the best way to get rid of the car with deployed airbags. We don't have cash flow problems at the moment, so repairing it, holding onto it for the short term, and then selling may not be a terrible solution unless it turns out there's damage besides just the deployed airbags which would make the cost of repair prohibitive (there probably is). Still, I'm calling a couple scrap yards to get quotes in order to have the best info possible. I'll find some time to take it in to the mechanic's sometime to get a quote on repairs and to know if there's any damage besides replacing the airbags.

Some stuff for the wedding turned out cheaper than planned because we didn't have time, in the end, to do things as planned. Like, my attire. I planned to get a new pair of black oxfords, punch-caps, since I didn't have any and they're the most formal type of oxford, but still a very handy thing to have. I didn't have time to search them out - why can't I find plain black oxfords with no broguing?! - and instead wore a nice pair of wingtips with plenty of broguing that I already owned. They look nice and I like them, but they aren't quite as formal as you would like to be married in. Well, whatevs!

One scrap place got back to me: they'll give me $100 cash after all the fees and stuff. That's a terrible offer, but at least it means I have an option to guarantee I won't be in the hole. I suppose I'll take it to a mechanic next (or call to see whether I should even bother), see what the prognosis is. $100 cash might actually look good at the end of the day.

I sort of hate the idea of Ikea.

We've been eating out a bit because, first, we were on honeymoon, and now we didn't get gas on in the apartment until today. Hoorah, gas.

< Attn LHuSi/TFL infidels | FFC extension (sigh) >
This is like the fifth straight week I've had a cold. | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 11:13:35 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

As someone who has to live without by debacle (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 11:50:12 AM EST
What's wrong with Ikea?

It's cheap and shoddy. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 12:10:40 PM EST
It's basically particle-board furniture held together with screws. It's cheap and does the job, but it's not durable. You can't expect it to last a lifetime or survive moves.

but less cheap and shoddy by garlic (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 02:21:35 PM EST
than other particle board furniture. Not everything, but something.

I just can't stand the shop by Herring (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 05:42:40 PM EST
OK, I have been there a couple of times and I should know where the warp gates are to get through the showroom quickly, but it still scares me. There is no physical way to get through and buy something in under 45 minutes and that pisses me off.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
It is a problem by garlic (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 07:03:34 PM EST
but that's what the internet is for.

Did go to IKEA this weekend by barooo (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 12:18:51 PM EST
Actually.  Bought a shelf storage thingy for the bathroom and some odds and ends (curtains, extra dishtowels and cutting boards and crap, some pillows).  As long as you don't expect too much, and choose wisely, they have good stuff.  But yeah, at the end of the day it's particle board.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 12:20:25 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Really? by barooo (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 02:03:12 PM EST
I'm pretty happy with most of what I've gotten there, or else it was so cheap that I got what I paid for.

The wood cutting boards are especially nice given the price.  And I have some 10+ year old 365+ dishes that I still use daily.  A few have some minor chips, but not too bad.  Plus they're open stock, so yesterday I replaced a broken cup.  Unfortunately, they've changed slightly; the cups are near-identical, but the plates are less flat, so when we went from 4 to 8, the 4 new ones don't quite match.  But good enough.  And their best line of pots and pans look like an incredible value.  Yeah, they aren't perfect, but they're about 1/7 the price of le cruset or comparable.

And their kitchen cabinetry is top drawer.  Same for appliances given their price point.  They are the only place really that offers easy to find appliances that are a real step between yuppietastic "professional" that doesn't get used, and cheap-ass builder grade shit.  If they didn't say "IKEA" on them, they're be even better :)

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
IAWTP by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 02:27:13 PM EST

Not all particle board. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 12:21:02 PM EST
There's more solid wood there than your average mass market furniture store.

what did some greenie enviro say ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 12:31:41 PM EST
ikea may be sustainable, but you aren't buying heirloom pieces there..

I find their offerings interesting, and have a few pieces in my house [kids room], but they are particle board shite as original poster said. Regardless of what other mass market pieces are made of.

Our bedroom is solid oak (built myself, bought unfinished, or hand-downs from family..).

a quibble by barooo (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 02:43:02 PM EST
Any furniture you buy at IKEA is not a "piece".

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
IAWTP by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Oct 27, 2009 at 09:02:57 AM EST
My wooden IKEA shelves are made of fucking lumber. Very little of their stuff is "particle board".

Charity by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 11:51:56 AM EST
if all you're getting is $100, look into giving the car to charity. You might get a bigger tax write-off. I'm not sure what the rules are any more, though, but it's worth looking into.
Right, but... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 11:53:36 AM EST
...giving a car that needs expensive major repairs before it's safe to drive? I'll ask around.

They don't care by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 12:14:03 PM EST
They just sell it for scrap, same as you would.
I might look into it, then. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 12:26:34 PM EST
I'm sure there is some charity I'm down with that participates in some similar program...

chicago salvation army by garlic (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 02:24:01 PM EST
actually uses them to teach reformed addicts how to be mechanics, and then upon selling them uses the money to maintain the program. According to my gf who used to work for the SA in a different capacity anyway.

I'm down on Salvation Army christmas buckets, but ok on this setup.

Maybe by MrMole (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 04:40:53 PM EST
you have allergies or weak immune system.

Re: airbags by dmg (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 06:20:30 PM EST
Just drive it without them. How often do you plan on crashing your vehicle anyway? Or is it a legal requirement?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.