Print Story Attn LHuSi/TFL infidels
Help!
By brokkr (Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 06:23:27 AM EST) (all tags)
Need a little 'elp figuring out Oyster tickets.

Okay, I've bought and received an Oyster card for my visit to Londinium next week. However, for my training I need to go to Carshalton, which is so far out in the suburbs that the tube hasn't reached it yet. Thus, I am planning to commute by Southern train from Victoria to Carshalton.

Journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk tells me that this is a zone 1-5 trip. I am well familiar with the ticket barriers in the tube (assuming they haven't changed them substantially since 2003); is the same system in place in quasi-rural stations? If so, I should just be able to scan my Oyster card at both ends and not worry about getting the zones right, right? (Assuming sufficient credit on the card.)

Also, boo to Herring for having his pre-40th Friday a week too early!

< Another new addition. | This is like the fifth straight week I've had a cold. >
Attn LHuSi/TFL infidels | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What kind of Oyster card have you got? by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 06:50:20 AM EST
Pre-pay top-up or unlimited travel within certain zones?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Pre-paid top-up by brokkr (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 08:58:22 AM EST
If I had unlimited travel I wouldn't have to worry about having sufficient credit ;)
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

No Oyster pre-pay at Carshalton station: by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 09:39:15 AM EST
See http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/csh/details.html

You'll need a paper ticket, I presume, but maybe the one-day travelcards work. Ask on the ground if you don't get a suitable answer here.

Okay - by brokkr (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 03:50:47 PM EST
(This is in response to both you and nebbish.)

- so even though my pre-paid Oyster card was touted as "never more expensive than a one-day travelcard" it can't actually be used for the travel within the TFL zone system that I actually need and I will have to buy additional tickets?

In other countries, we call that fraud.

Delving deeper into the TFL web, I've found this which confirms the sheer idiocy of this scheme. What good is a ticket that can only be used on some special trains?

More detective work: According to this I can get a zone 1-5 seven day travelcard for 44 quid. That's acceptable, even though I only need it for five days. (Why are these available in 1, 3 and 7 days, but not 5? Because most people need a five day card obviously. Fuckers.)

But!

"Travelcards are generally issued on Oyster cards (except when bought from most National Rail stations)" - does that mean that I can take my pre-paid Oyster card to a ticket office on Sunday and buy a 7-day travelcard "onto" it? Or would I need a different kind of Oyster card for that? This is all very user friendly, and the TFL website is of great help.
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

Carshalton by Herring (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 05:30:03 PM EST
I wouldn't say that, technically, it's really in London. Not proper London anyway. I could probably cycle there from my house in 20 minutes.

Hell, I could probably even make it there for a quick beer....

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

The short answer is No by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #7 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 03:10:48 PM EST
You might be able to do complicated things at the ticket office that involve getting an extension from the last station on the line that has an Oyster Card barrier, but it'd be easier just to buy a paper ticket and save your credit for the Tube.

I think it's quite funny how many different answers you've got here. Integrated, simple transport system? Bah!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 07:14:22 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

When will you be travelling? by Breaker (4.00 / 7) #3 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 08:05:44 AM EST
Because it was Sunday yesterday you will know that the short rules only apply and from the 2nd turn in reverse order during October.

Read up on rule 7b: All Egyptian moves are disallowed except crossovers and double takes.

Also make sure you allow plenty of time for travel in case you find yourself unexpectedly in knip.

Nice try by brokkr (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 09:01:43 AM EST
Yesterday may have been Sunday but owing to the co-occurence of DST ending, the short rules are dispensed with altogether and Rule 7b only applies for moves along the DLR.

But then again I'm afraid I only have a badly xeroxed version of the pirated Hungarian translation, sorry.
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

Attn LHuSi/TFL infidels | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback