Print Story What is it about the Ohio River Valley?
Wizards and Hobbits
By georgeha (Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 08:45:48 AM EST) hexity goodness, PHX, guns, bowling (all tags)
All the movies there have murderers and psychopaths.

Plus American Rifle, Bubble, Octopus Alibi, good weekend, electricity, storm window, city schools (as seen from the burbs), Catan and Enchanted Forest, and less.

Poll: Best Ren Faire costume for me?

It was a good weekend, with homemade quiche, and some handyman work. Friday afternoon was a team building exercise at a bowling alley, where I broke 100 in my last two games (I don't know if I ever bowled more than 100 before), then drinks at an expensive place that doesn't take care of their beer lines. Later, there was a conference call and work email, so it wasn't like I had a completely early day.

Saturday thirteen year old went to Porsche_girl's bday party, while eight year old eventually had preschool_girl over for a playdate. I had a few hours before she was due, so I was able to vacuum upstairs and downstairs, and get the dishes taken care of. Later, I went out to the 'burbs to buy a lot of stuff at Lowe's, and stopped by the gaming store as it was the monthly board game meet. Unusually, Mrs. Ha and I were able to sit down and watch a movie Saturday night, but more on that below.

In other gaming news, one night (Friday?) thirteen year old, eight year old, newspaper_girl and I got together to play Catan, I think an hour and half is a little long for that game, but at least it's better than Enchanted Forest, which I played with eight year old and preschool_girl. I lost, having sandwiched myself between eight year old and the older girls, and not having a lot of room to expand, and not settling on a red vertice. Thirteen year old won.

The bday party was out at a farmer's market in the exurbs, and thirteen year old was met a few suburbanite kids who had misconceptions about her city schools. The usual city kids skip school all day while taking drugs. I suppose I don't have a good picture of the average city school, since the charter school is a lot like an expensive private school, in demographics and attitude, while the middle/high school is very competitive to get in. Also, if we lived in a tract in the burbs we might be a little more lax in letting our girls ride their bikes a few blocks, it's only this year that we've let thirteen year old walk to her friends house, and she has to ask permission and plan a route with call ins, first.

Sunday I hit .500, replacing the light socket in my thirteen year old's sconce/outlet with a newer bottom knob socket and replacing the old woven fabric covered wire with new Romex, all without electrocuting myself. On the negative side, I made my storm window too short, I misread 29 inches as 26 inches, so more cutting to do. I was impressed by how sturdy the bracketed mitred frame was, it will be even stronger with plexiglass on it (I have to find out how to cut plexiglass, too).

In book news, I finished American Rifle, a story about the main weapon of the American infantry from the Revolutionary War to now, along with the theory that the American Army was the first major army to adopt rifles. It was good, with a few quibbles, I felt that it gave insufficient props to the Stg44 when discussing the AK-47 (because that led to the M-16), lots of discussion of the Pederson Device but no BAR, and little talk of the M-1/M-2 carbines.

In other book news, I finished Corcorran's Octopus Alibi. A few weeks back, at Mrs. Ha's co-worker's, her husband and I talked about Hiaiaiaiasen, and he mentioned Corcorran is another mystery type write based in South Florida, the Keys even, and he gave me the book to read, so I did. It's a mystery, set in Key West, with a few Key Westian type characters, as well as some Miami Vice type characters. Mysteries aren't my thing, so while I enjoyed reading it, it's not in my top 100 list, and for south Florida wackiness, give me Haiaiiaiaiasen.

What is it about the Ohio River valley? First there was Silence of the Lambs, now Bubble, a shortish depressing film about three workers at a Doll family in a decaying Ohio town. You first meet the protagonist Martha, a middle aged spinster who works and takes care of her elderly dad, as she picks up a shy young co-worker, who she declares to be her best friend. A few days later, a comely and pushy single mom shows up to work, the ensuing triangle creates the drama for the rest of the film. The actors aren't professional, though they do a good enough job.

Three biggies off my to do list yesterday, sending out a file fix, and making PHX plane tickets and hotel reservations. My sister is getting married at a Ren Faire in PHX in March, and my parents are helping us with the airfare, because I don't have $2000 sitting around doing nothing.

To prep the girls for that, I showed them "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" last night. They preferred Narnia. What costume should I get for a Ren Faire? Cheap, easily made and easily packable would be best.

< Eli's Coming | Equality >
What is it about the Ohio River Valley? | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
why do you think bob wants to buy a house ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 09:10:36 AM EST
easier to clean up and dispose of the bodies..

You off tomorrow ?

(and glad I'm not the only one who can't spell Hiassian's name right..)

No, I'm not expecting to be off by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 09:12:12 AM EST
I figured I'd shake things up here with a Thursday diary, declining readership requires desperate measures.

A tunic, simple pants and maybe a belt... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 09:25:30 AM EST
Easy to make peasant-like and fit any time period from late Rome to early Enlightenment... I'm sure a peasant wouldn't be at a wedding like the one they're having but I'm sure they'll make an exception in your case. Great thing about the tunic pattern is that if you make it longer, it's a dress so you have something for the females, too...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

I thinking something like that by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 09:30:02 AM EST
I don't know if it would be cheaper to make or just buy, what with fabric prices. Maybe even a jerkin over a blousy tunic, and then an oversied goat skull codpiece over the breeches.

I'm sure you could find a deal... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 09:40:49 AM EST
...on some thin wool or thick muslin (depending on how warm it should be). Besides, you're not becoming a Ren Fest person anytime soon, are you? They only have to be good enough to work once or twice.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

I won't know until I try it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 09:50:09 AM EST

sign up for emails by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 08:34:30 AM EST
at JoAnns.com  They send out 40% and 50% off coupons all the time.

I'll ask Mrs. Ha by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 08:40:42 AM EST
she usually gives them her email.

not the store sign up by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 11:14:27 AM EST
the online sign up.

Ah okay, already done by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 11:29:26 AM EST
and I didn't buy a lot this time, some muslin, cloth measuring tape and a seam/hem ruler.

Last time I made myself a costume for RenFesting by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 10:25:15 AM EST
I took the knock-off jedi costume and did some superficial changes and became a desert nomad. It was fun freaking out some of the norms that year.

It will be in the desert by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 10:37:00 AM EST
but I don't have a spare Jedi costume.

The glasses are such a pain, I could go as a scrawny executioner and wear a hood, but my fishbelly white phsyique would be too blinding.

I wouldn't worry about it by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 10:46:44 AM EST
Half the people who go there only emerge from their caves a few minutes before arriving. You'll be in fine company.

how to cut plexiglass by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 10:58:59 AM EST
That really depends on the type of plexiglass. The stuff I've worked with, in industrial settings, you cut with a jigsaw. The more brittle stuff is probably cut with a wire saw, or a router.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Ob DSL router joke by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 11:23:59 AM EST
it's the thinnest stuff, and there's lots of opinions on the net. I'll start with scoring with a glass cutter.

Then I have to figure out how to mount it to the frame, I was thinking of drilling holes and using wood screws.

Rifles were mainly for snipers by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 10:02:55 PM EST
up to and through the Civil War. Muskets were standard issue until the 1870s. IHBT.

You're forgetting rifled muskets by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 05:33:36 AM EST
after 1842, thanks to the minie ball, muskets became rifled, but you did touch on one of the author's main thesis, the two camps in the Army, one focusing on accurate long range aimed fire, the other on short range firepower.

No, I didn't forget. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 06:36:01 AM EST
Rifled muskets are inferior in accuracy to the rifles of which I speak. Rifled muskets were common issue in the Civil War, *rifles* much less so.