Print Story The mouth opens...
Breakups
By ana (Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 06:16:56 PM EST) Anglican, Ecclesiastical politics (all tags)
The mouth closes. There are no words for the astonishment.

Discuss.

I'm somewhat tempted to leave it as a drive-by troll MLP, but I've frowned on others for doing that.

Update [2009-10-20 23:20:26 by ana]: here's another link that might work better for some: WSJ

In some ways, it's a viable option for those who are leaving the Anglican bodies in USia and UKia anyway. There are... certain... theological difficulties, having to do with the nature of authority and teaching and doctrine within the church, but maybe those folks have had enough of the rather amorphous mass that is the contemporary Anglican Communion. We have rules, yes we do, but whenever we enact something in accordance with those rules, there are endless arguments about what the rules should have been.

And it's really not all about rules. It's not about homophobia. It's not about misogyny. It's about love. Pastoral caring. Stuff like that.

Perhaps this is the end of the Via Media, the middle way, between Western catholocism as embodied by Rome and non-sacramental Protestantism.

If so, it's sad.

I remember reading an essay once espousing the notion that the Reformation in Europe was a tragic necessity. And that Catholics tended to see just  the tragedy while Protestants saw only the necessity.

I've often wondered why there isn't an Anglican Orthodox, or Western Orthodox, church. There have been several attempts at such; notably one in communion with the Patriarch of Antioch. Also the OCA, which as I understand it is a kind of fusion of national churches from the Old Country, an outgrowth of the Russian Orthodox church.

Well, now we'll have our very own Uniates.

I wish them well, but I'm sad to see them go.
< Email notifications. | Trollcore >
The mouth opens... | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It's all a bit mindboggling. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 07:25:04 PM EST
in a place like Britain, where Anglicans now vastly outnumber Catholics
I suspect that 'now' doesn't mean what the author thinks it means.

Sorry, I do have some cogent observations to offer on the issue of, for example, western rite Orthodoxy, but my brain's a bit fried right now.

Perhaps by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 07:31:31 PM EST
"now" in the sense of "for the time being"?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Since the Polish influx by dmg (2.50 / 4) #3 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 07:58:05 PM EST
The number of 'practicing' Catholics probably now outnumbers Anglicans.

Either way, you either support homophobia, or you are not a Christian. It's pretty straightforward.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
not so. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 08:52:38 PM EST
some christian denominations actually allow sexually active gay men to be bishops.

besides which, there are very non-homophobic christian husites.

i'm an outsider by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 08:26:13 PM EST
so it's not really my place to say anything much about the theological implications.

But this looks an awful lot like a border raid.

There is a western rite Orthodox by lm (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 04:18:04 AM EST
There are only a handful of parishes in the US, perhaps a dozen or so. IIRC, they were required to modify the epiclesis but otherwise the Anglican liturgy remained unaltered. It turns out that the closest Orthodox parish to us is a western rite parish.

As far as Rome goes, this is not unprecedented. There are a few so-called Anglican use parishes and number of Anglican priests over the past couple decades have converted to Roman Catholic Church. From the `tradition' aspect, I think one big question is the existence of married priests after this generation. But that certainly isn't the only question.

OTOH I think it a nice gesture that Rome is opening its arms. OTOH, I think such arm opening is actually antithetical to Pope Benedict's stated goal of reconciliation with Anglicans and Orthodox. For those that do not convert, it creates a veiled threat of sorts.

Cicero, The Republic
wow no kidding. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 07:07:55 PM EST
They have to have a recruiting (for priests that is ) difficulty that no one can believe.

Click
Ecclesielasticity by debacle (4.00 / 3) #7 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 08:05:29 AM EST
A new fundamental theory in applied theophysics.

Ecclesiastical Risk by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 09:45:15 AM EST
I'd say he rolled a four and a five.
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 11:25:35 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Never been to a solemn Eucharist, eh? by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 01:19:16 PM EST
I've been known to say we were keeping the Latin Rite warm in case anybody wanted it back some day. In translation, of course, but it's all there. I'm a bit of a mystic myself, so your mileage may vary.

In fact YMMV is perhaps the motto of the whole Anglican experience.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

The more I read about this, the more my jaw drops by lm (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 05:26:47 PM EST
The WaPo had a good piece on it here by Thomas Reese. I had not realized the extent of Rome's position on this. Some of the more interesting bits: I think for Rome to accept ordination of married men to the priesthood within the Latin right is nothing short of extraordinary. They've long made exceptions for those ordained by other religious organization but I think this will be the first time in the modern era where they make space for married men with no prior holy orders. I wouldn't go as far as Reese as saying that this opens the door for non-Anglican Latin rite Catholics to marry and then become priests. But it certainly a sea change in policy.

Cicero, The Republic
I'm like... by ana (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 08:18:51 PM EST
Whodathunkit?

It gets stranger and stranger, as you say, the more I think about it.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin