Print Story Shadowtricks
Boredom
By Gedvondur (Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 08:44:18 AM EST) Work, Cars, Beer, Brewing (all tags)
Just a quick catch-up on what's been going on in my life.

Work

I have finally figured out what I don’t like about this job. It’s so obvious I am amazed I didn’t notice before. It is simply this: I am lonely and bored.

I work from home, thus I spend an inordinate amount of time alone. I spent a HELL of a lot of time alone as an only child living out in the country-side. As a matter of fact, I got my fill of “alone” during my youth. I crave company. I am a social creature. In my past jobs, I have had a lab to run and other editors in the lab from time to time. Heck, before in this job I worked from a friend’s house who worked for the same company. Nice. But for the last two years or so, I’ve been alone at home. Sure, my homies on #husi have got my back, but that’s not exactly face to face social. Not sure what to do about this. I think I will have to give it some long-term thought on how I can change my situation without taking it in the financial poop-chute.

Twitter has turned me into a jerk.

So I have been playing with the whole Twitter thing for a while now. I have two accounts, one for business and one for personal. The business account has been okay, I get some good information from the people I follow and I have amassed (trimmed for spammers and the like) a couple of hundred followers. Not too shabby. On my personal account, I follow a lot of RPG and beer people. Overall, it has been an interesting little distraction.

The problem is I have developed an irrational dislike for a few people whom I follow. Rest assured, none of them are from HuSi or even vaguely associated with HuSi.

One person on my business account is simply a pie-in-the-sky cheerleader for certain technologies. An unrepentant blind optimist who intersperses his overly-cheery technology posts with bits about his day, his dog, and his kids. Now, I don’t mind those family things so much but it’s all done with this attitude of “Look how AWESOME my life is.” I had to stop following him. He does, on occasion, have some interesting things to say and he works for one of our biggest clients.

The other person on my personal account I stopped following last night. She is one of my beer people. She was interesting at first, but has verbal diarrhea and indulges in relentless self-promotion. She’s a recognized part of the Twitter beer “community” and seems to think that this makes her important somehow. It’s pretty sad, actually. Her validation in life seems to be coming from being a girl that drinks beer and has an opinion about it (she blogs about it too). I stopped following her last night. I can’t take the relentless self promotion anymore.

Why do I feel bad about now following these people? I should just be able to let their bullshit roll off of my back like water off a duck, right? Why do they make me angry? WHY HULK SMASH? Bah. I’m too hard on myself.

Beer stuff

There is depressingly little to report on the beer front. My co-brewer and I have both been shit-stomped at work so neither of us has had time to really get with the brewing. We do have a nice Imperial Ginger that we put about eight ounces of fresh grated ginger into. That’s looking sweet. And our Oktoberfest is lagering in our lagerator/chest freezer.  Won’t be ready until mid-November, but looks, smells and tastes AWESOME already. Don’t know when we are going to get to brew again, but hot damn and hot butter, it needs to be soon!

Car stuff

I will be putting away the convertible Buick soon.  Last weekend I fixed the switches for the driver’s window, so I can put the window up. Now that is set, I need to drive it up to my buddy’s place for storage. Rather pay him than some storage joint. Next year will be big on working on the Buick. I need to get a tilt steering column into it, raise the body with a lift kit (got a bad case of Buick sag-ass), put on dual exhaust, and install an electronic distribution system. Plus various tune up and electrical. The big one will be fixing the back windows next year. The one is seriously off the track. I don’t know much about that kind of thing, so it will be a bit of an adventure. But that’s all for next year. For now it’s Sta-bil in the gas tank and Seafoam in the oil.

Politics

I’m not going to do my normal rant on the insanity of the Republicans. For politics all I’m going to say is this:

Public Option for health care.

Let homosexuals marry everywhere.

We need to get both of these things done. People are dyin’ and people are cryin’. It doesn’t have to be that way for either of them.

< Feeling hot, hot, hot | on pimpin' >
Shadowtricks | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Mrs. Ha is much happier by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 08:55:28 AM EST
now that she has peers and works with other med techs, prior to merging with her current practice, she was the only med tech.

I have some stout fermenting, a little late for an ale, but I think it will do. I'm hoping to split the batch into two 1/8th kegs, and keep one until March.

Twitter by hulver (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 09:55:30 AM EST
Part of my problem with Twitter is that the interface is so shit.

I'd like to be able to visit Twitter, and just see all the new tweets. Not all bunched up in the middle of the page would be nice as well.

I un-followed a couple of people who were spouting off a lot. They'd post up a bunch of like 20 tweets at once. Mostly just jokey replies between the group of 3/4 of them. Boring.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Tweetdeck by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 10:22:03 AM EST
I use Tweetdeck to keep things organized and only get messages that I haven't seen.  Plus, it makes it easy to manage two accounts.

Another thing I don't understand is assholes who follow a couple of thousand people.  How the hell can you follow that many people?  Those folks generally get blocked by me, there is no way they pay attention to that kind of data stream.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Tweetdeck by hulver (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 10:58:07 AM EST
I'll have a look at it.

I'd prefer a web interface though, because I use various different computers and downloading a specific application just to look at a web site seems stupid.

Twitter are good for providing the API, but sucky for thinking that it's then OK to leave their interface to rot because other people are better at it.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 11:15:10 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Yes by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 12:57:00 PM EST
They probably are just reciprocating.  That being said, they can't all be paid.

You can't keep track of a stream of 3k people.  You just can't.

Well, perhaps the whole thing will die and I will no longer have to worry about it.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
A problem the Republicans have by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 11:29:36 AM EST
The Rino problem:
The term "RINO" -- Republican In Name Only -- doesn't have a left-wing equivalent. The ability to maintain ideological discipline on the Right has long been a key to the GOP's success, but now the habits of mind and behavior that served the conservative movement so well for so long are precisely what prevent it from listening to conservative dissidents.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It doesn't? by notafurry (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 12:08:55 PM EST
What do you call all the moderate centrists who are currently Democrats because they can't stand the Republican party right now?

hold your nose Democrats? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 12:11:36 PM EST

The ones like me? by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 01:00:56 PM EST
I call them moderate centrist Democrats. There're also some highly left wing Democrats who scream about things Obama is/isn't doing. They, too, are called Democrats.

They call each other Democrats, too.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I don't know about that by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 12:51:25 PM EST
I hear some pretty obnoxious phrases used to describe "blue dog" Democrats.

after 2010 by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 07:38:19 PM EST
private citizens

Click
independents. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 11:52:29 AM EST

Well said by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 12:51:10 PM EST
Indeed, I agree.  Ideological rigidity and a "you are either with us or against us" is killing them.  It is so opposite of the "Republican Big Tent" under Reagan.  But they can't even see it.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Blue dog democrat (congresscritters only) by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 05:11:54 PM EST
You're looking at it backwards. The term you are looking for is "democrat". For the liberals, it would be "liberal". The description for somebody working lock-step according kossak dogma would be "politically correct". That was where the phrase came from back around 1990. It was an attempt to limit "more ideologically pure than thou" that goes a long way in right-wing circles.

Wumpus

Politics. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 12:09:20 PM EST
Seems so easy. I struggle with understanding people who don't see healthcare/gay marriage as we do.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

in my case by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 07:37:51 PM EST
I don't care at all either way in re gay marriage.  It either works or it doesn't, but it affects me pretty near to zero.

healthcare....that one's trickier because I'm tax averse as it is.  And I've heard all the 'if we don't do anything the cost will rise etc' arguments.  taxes going up is not so good in the short term.  If you think the exodus of jobs after NAFTA was bad, wait til a tax bump to cover single payer rolls in. Sure it may not happen in the first ten years, but it will happen.  If it costs too much to do business stateside it will go elsewhere.

That said, if it's going to happen, it may as well be for all the marbles and a federal thing because I heard today that my fine state wants to do universal health coverage, by taxing businesses 10% and all residents 3%.  And knowing the way states run, if it passes, and then 3 years from the feds pass coverage, the state will keep charging the taxes to cover other 'shortfalls'.

I'm by no means a 'WAKE UP AMERICA' echo boy ( can't stand Hannity, nor Beck ), it's just that I know that no matter who says it, stuff just balloons and grows.  As long as every one is aware of, and can deal with it happening or not happening I'm happy.  It's polarizing on either side that irks me.  There's always two sides, and maybe more to any argument. ( certain topics expempt course. )

Click

You need to talk to either our Canadian or by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 09:35:10 PM EST
Brit buddies here. They'll be able to tell you how hard it was when they're countries switched.

Rachel Maddow has some interesting things to say about health insurance company profits. I think we've been living through the gloom and doom era of costly health care.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

the two issues by garlic (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 11:56:33 AM EST
universal coverage, and skyrocketting costs need some interplay, but should mostly be covered seperately. Don't introduce a ridiculous costting universal plan, and don't prioritize lower costs when their are people without health care period.

Shadowtricks | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback