Print Story man on man action in the Y's locker room
aka offensive to autistics.

Plus Running with Scissors, outsourcing problems, Neti pot, more FB, and less.

Poll: Favorite method of dealing with allergies?

It was a weekend, a weekend where we ran around for a lot of activities while my sinuses were torturing me.

For the first time in a long time, we stayed up to watch a movie, Running with Scissors, a bio-pic about Augusten Burroughs in the massively dysfunctional family genre. I don't know if all psychiatrists are odd, but I only know two.

No book reviews, because I did not finish a book this week. I'm in the middle of a big thick book with a young, virginal, geeky protagonist, by an author well known for writing about young, virginal, geeky protagonists.

Eight year old had a birthday party Sunday, at a sort of Chuck E Cheesey place with lots of noise and flashing lights. She didn't want me to leave, so I stayed and made the most of it, talking with a few other parents. At least she only got a few plastic gewgaws after redeeming her tickets.

Beyond that, I kept up a regimem of antihistamines and pseudophed, hoping to stay somewhat alert. I decided to take more drastic measures, see below.

I went to workout at the Y one night, and had a far too interesting workout. Twenty minutes on the elliptical listening to Devo and watching Rocky beat up Apollo, then a quick circuit of the Cybex machines. I had tasty stew waiting at home, so went down to the locker room to grab my keys and the escalation phone. I saw a young man near my locker, and felt that there was something odd about him, perhaps it was his beard, his look, or the fact that he was  engaged in an intense conversation with no one else there. After a short glance at him, I started to open my locker when WHAM, he swung at my and bent my glasses.

I swore, and got out of there, fleeing probably being the most honorable response to an aggressive developmentally disabled person, especially since I'm no longer allowed to take them down. I went up to the front desk to complain, and they said his mom was around, who came over and profusely apologized, saying he doesn't like glasses. Well, gollywhompers, I suppose if I had a hook for a hand I can see that causing adverse reactions, but glasses, lots of people wear glasses.

Anyhow, I sat in a corner of the lobby with my glasses off, the staff checked on the dude, asked me if I was okay, and when the dude and his mom left he sort of apologized (I kept my glasses off, I didn't want him flying across the lobby at me). After he left, the staff said he had been coming there for years, and was a gentle guy, of course, I had been going there for years, too, and never had anyone smash my glasses before.

I'm still getting used to my new vision, since the lenses aren't quite in the same place they were before. Since the bridge is cracked, I'll probably get new ones, even with my vision care benefit I'd be out a few hundred $$$ (high indice plastic and cool frames add up).

When I got home, newspaper_girl was there, she stayed for stew and made cookies. Newspaper_dad picked her up late, he's in crunchtime, and often has to be available at 3:00 am for their offshore devs (I have my troubles with our offshore devs, but they don't need to contact us at 3:00 am). We also talked a little MtG, his sons are getting into, I should give them a few hundred commons I have. I suggested he talk with his younger cow-orkers, but he said he's the youngest, in his mid 40's. Whoa, I'm used to being older than many developers.

Speaking of work, it's been busy, way busy. I would be unsurprised to find myself in Nashville next week, if I don't end up the uppper midwest.

In the continuing infiltration of FB into our house, Mrs. Ha finally joined, as her three closest friends are avid FB'ers.

To deal with my allergies, I broke down and bought a Neti pot from Walgreens. For those who don't know what they are, it's a small plastic pot designed to irrigate your sinuses by going in one nostril, and out the other. It feels weird, but seems to work, though perhaps I should have run it by my doctor before trying it, since I have a history of ear problems.

< I've lost 10kg in the last month?! I want them back. | Is today the day that democracy dies in the EU? >
man on man action in the Y's locker room | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
neti pot by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 10:56:56 AM EST
probably my favorite part of my yoga class in India, mostly for the entertainment factor of my inner four year old not knowing that sinuses could hold that much snot. My allergies were acting up at the time and I felt good for two days after. Definitely going to buy one when I get home.

I've been... by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 11:44:27 AM EST
using a saline nasal spray for years (on advice of the ear, nose and throat dude); and I use it more when I'm stuffy. So now toxicfur bought me a neti pot; I should use it one of these days. It was almost as cheap to buy another netipot setup with the refills for hers she was buying anyway, so.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

They mentioned the sprays in the neti pot by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 12:03:23 PM EST
man pages, the pot has about twice the fluid capacity as the sprays.

Mrs. Ha is a fan of the sprays, we've inflicted them on our kids when they're congested.

WIPO by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 12:29:28 PM EST
Agent Orange.

I'm pretty sure that's not OTC by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 12:38:06 PM EST

dealing with allergies by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 01:57:17 PM EST
Tough it out.

I have a runny nose probably 100 days of the year.

My lungs are congested for weeks at a time during a bad year.

You get used to it.

What a man! by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 02:07:44 PM EST
You're one of those 'walk it off' guys, eh?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

works for me by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 02:58:51 PM EST
Mostly it's just a nuisance, I don't consider myself actually sick until I'm coughing up green stuff. There were a few  days last winter I was coughing so hard I could see black spots dancing in front of my eyes.

Wow, by ni (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 05:28:12 PM EST
I have a runny nose probably 100 days of the year.

My lungs are congested for weeks at a time during a bad year.

You sound like just the guy to take advice from.

asthma/allergies ain't fun by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 05:58:14 PM EST
"Breath is the least appreciated gift of the gods. None sing hymns to it, praising the good air, breathed by king and beggar, master and dog alike. But, oh to be without it!"

I love pseudophedrine. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 02:06:25 PM EST
Which probably should be a warning that I never try Meth.

My accupuncturist just told me to stop taking it as it was effecting my heart. My dad also mentioned that pseudophedrine messed up his heart and put him in the hospital.

I'm going to guess you'll be careful with pseudophed and monitor how it effects you.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

It clears my sinuses by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 02:12:13 PM EST
but doesn't make me feel better or anything.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 02:54:33 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I used to work in group homes for the by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 03:09:30 PM EST
developmentally disabled, one of my responsibilities (after required training) was preventing a resident from harming another, using restraint holds if necessary.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 03:11:08 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I'm no longer employed by them by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 03:31:03 PM EST
so restraining a private citizen would probably be assault and battery.

zyrtec by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 04:59:17 PM EST
zyrtec worked when other allergy meds did nothing. it was one of the few that was meant to work on hives, and man, did it work.
---------
I haven't tried that by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 05:45:25 PM EST
though loratidine didn't work for me.

Zyrtec knocks me on my ass. by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #23 Sat Oct 03, 2009 at 11:16:43 AM EST
Not quite as bad as Benadryl, but almost.

Plus, as a pilot, I'm pretty much limited to Claratin, Clarinex, and Allegra.

Neti pot is fine... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 05:50:07 PM EST
...but a turkey baster is much cheaper and does the job just as well.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

glasses on the internet by garlic (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 08:10:02 PM EST
there still made cheap by foreigners, but you cut out the 100 dollar profit of the middle man.

I know, I still need my prescription by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 08:48:22 PM EST
and the optical measurements, maybe I'll get a second pair that way.

You Sinus People are fucking disgusting. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 09:14:11 PM EST
Just as if you're Jewish, please celebrate this in the privacy of your own home. Thanks.

In a further update by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #24 Sat Oct 03, 2009 at 12:24:01 PM EST
my glasses are so bent my slip on sunglasses no longer fit.

Agent Orange by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon Oct 05, 2009 at 07:20:16 AM EST
aka Dayquil (the Wegmans equivalent, actually).

I used to keep a bottle of that around by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Oct 05, 2009 at 08:23:24 AM EST
it would get all crusty and such on the next, and taking shots wasn't fun.