Print Story Looks like I'll have a job after I'm done
Working life
By nathan (Wed Oct 14, 2009 at 03:48:06 PM EST) (all tags)
Just got the call from $BIGLAWFIRM. It was welcome because on-campus hiring was very grim indeed this year. So it looks like I'll be moving to Chicago and getting a real job soon.

< It's half past October. | Small site change. >
Looks like I'll have a job after I'm done | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Wow, congrats! by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Oct 14, 2009 at 03:58:19 PM EST
enn tea.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

tyvm by nathan (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 10:34:15 AM EST

congratulations. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Oct 14, 2009 at 04:14:31 PM EST
that's fantastic news; you are one of the lucky ones this year.
seriously! by nathan (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 10:27:22 AM EST
Top 10% at a T10, 2 callbacks, 1 offer.

IP would have made it easier, but then again, I know someone from my school who has a science PhD from Cornell but doesn't have an offer yet, so...

jesus fuck, that's awful. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 10:29:24 AM EST
makes me feel better about staying part time, though: if you're getting that coming out of a T10 ...
yeah by nathan (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 10:31:22 AM EST
I only know two other people in my class with offers. One of them, I have no clue what his stats are, but he's going to a secondary market where he has strong ties. The other, his stats are similar to mine + LR, and he got 3 or four offers in NYC out of 12+ callbacks. He's an extreme outlier though, I haven't heard of anyone else with double digit callbacks, including URMs with IP.

oh, forgot to say thanks by nathan (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 10:29:40 AM EST
I came within a whisker of getting nothing this year, so I'm particularly grateful to have this, not to say humbled. So, your congrats are particularly appreciated.

If you want to talk offline at some point, you can reach me at n s i m i n g t o n curlysign geemail. I'd be happy to help anyway I can since the market is so miserable.

Well done! by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Oct 14, 2009 at 04:18:41 PM EST
If you are going to Chicago, you can come to Weetacon by merely driving four hours!

Excellent news on the job, good luck with it!

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
ty! by nathan (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 10:34:06 AM EST

hot damn by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 07:55:15 AM EST
your program's already over? or is this a summer gig type thing?

law school recruiting is very strange. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 09:07:43 AM EST
many employers hire in the fall of your third year for jobs starting in the fall after you graduate.
that doesn't sound so odd... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 09:16:35 AM EST
hiring in the fall for when you graduate in the spring. unless you meant second year.

no, i meant third year by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 09:55:27 AM EST
but second year it's common to get hired for jobs during the summer after your second year at which the assumption is, if they didn't make you a full time offer after that, you did something wrong.
summer gig by nathan (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 10:33:44 AM EST
But the post-grad offer rate for most summer programs is >90% in a normal year. This year, it's varied from 100% to 0% depending on the firm. For next year, my sense is that firms have cut their intake but intend to increase their offer rates for the people they do take, since low offer rates are bad PR.

well, if you need any advice about chicago... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 10:56:19 AM EST
...I'm sure I know people in the area.

my people will call your people by nathan (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 02:41:50 PM EST
They'll do lunch.

you're 2L? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 11:32:29 AM EST
2l by nathan (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 02:41:30 PM EST

ok. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 02:45:36 PM EST
ty by nathan (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 03:48:48 PM EST
I figured things out second term. First term was kind of embarrassing.

Second term, my civ pro prof did me a huge favor by making his final closed book, and SuperMemo did the rest. It also helped with the MPC for Crim and the UCC for Ks.

my first term grades were pretty good. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 03:51:35 PM EST
second term, i had the flu during finals, and it showed. :(
see, that's why I was confused. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 02:43:36 PM EST
I thought, no way he's a 3L.