Print Story 2009-09-30
Boredom
By dev trash (Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 09:39:29 PM EST) (all tags)
The 4th quarter is nearly upon us.

I've never really liked the last three months of the year.  Sure, there's my birthday in October, Thanksgiving in November and Christmas in Decemeber.  But after I reached a certain age, I want to say 10, but it may have been 11, or perhaps 9, those three things just became...blah.

I bought a six pack of Sam Adams Octoberfest beer last week.  It was.  Well it was okay I guess.  I poured two of the bottles into the huge beer mug I got as a gift from a friend 10 years ago.  I drank it, repeated this twice and was a tad tipsy, but not at all drunk.

Got up the next morning to go to the Farmers Market. It was cold.  It was windy, and I swear I was the only non farmer there.  They're closing up Oct 17, but man if they get crappy weather the next three weeks I wouldn't blame them for not coming in at all.

Anyway, I picked up an onion, some yellow potatoes, and then walked to the meat table.  They have free range hens,and they sell eggs, that are...yummy.  I glanced at the board and saw that they had eggs with them, and I noticed they also had bacon.  Well.  I asked to see her bacon.  Frozen, of course, no nitrates, and from happy piggies.  $4.50 a pound.

What I like about this table is, the gal explains every thing, and she started to do so this time too.  Granted I didn't waver or even hint that I wasn't going to buy the package of bacon she had pulled outta the cooler, but she went on with this:

It's frozen, comes in a one pound package.  Is it, um just you?"

Um, uh, yeah, just me.

Well what I like to do is partially thaw it, it'll still be good, and then take out what I want.

I smile, and tell her I'll take it.  I walk around, and decide I wasn't in the mood to try any of the raw milk from the raw milk table.  That guy inda rubs me the wrong way, I dunno what it is, maybe because he sales his items by weight.  So I leave and I'm at the second stop sign, when I thought to myself:

Wait, was she trying to find out if I'm single?

Of course I spent the whole ten minute drive home, pondering this.  I just wish that I wasn't so damn thick about things like this.  Sure odds are she was just being overly helpful, and was not at all interested, but I dunno, I get in this frame of mind when I'm out and about.  The only way I can describe it is, unsocialable.  Now if I run into someone I know I'll become socialable, but otherwise I'm just in my shell, thinking of what I'll be doing later, or being sad, or being lonely or whatever.

I'm not at all observant of when, if at all, I'm being flirted with, or hit on.  Again. I'm not saying she was doing either.  And for some reason after I move on I have the thought process of: "wait, was she..."  It pisses me off, and I don't know why.

Dollhouse.  It's got some potential.  Some.

I drank a bottle of Merlot Saturday night.  I hate fucking Merlot!  Well except this was not too bad.  I just like Sideways.  And sorta quoting lines from it, sorta incorrectly.

No dating prospects at all.  Gal who added me, removed me added me from Facebook, actually did come visit one Friday night, we talked and kissed.  We chatted after, and then last night I checked my FB, and removed again.  Out of the blue.  Done with her now.  She can have all the ex-cons she can find.

Borders gal, who wanted to go out again, and was really really persistent, was, non committal when I relented and asked her out again.  So she's a definiete no go.

Gal who I dated twice, a few months ago, is 'seeing someone now, but thanks for asking!'

Work is driving me crazy, but that's for a hole entry.

< What a week | On Moving >
2009-09-30 | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A Primer for Meeting Girls: by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 10:11:07 PM EST
1. Be Good-looking.
2. Be Attractive.
3. Don't be Unattractive.
4. Be Rich.
5. Don't be Poor.

Seven ! by Phage (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 02:52:40 AM EST
Thank god I've still got a job.

From yesterday's MLP by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 09:23:48 AM EST
I deduce #4 and #5 should be #1 and #2.
SIR: NO FIXED ORDER IS IMPLIED. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 10:07:01 AM EST
YMMV.

Raw milk by Phage (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 02:52:10 AM EST
Have these people forgotten why Pasteur did what he did ? Morons.

What about cheese? by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 09:24:12 AM EST

I don't know enough about microbiology by Phage (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 10:33:03 AM EST
Would the cheese making process kill TB bacteria ?

me neither by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 07:36:30 PM EST
But I would say that maybe.  At least crowd it out.

Click
It would depend on the cheese. by ni (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 08:35:42 PM EST
When people make cheese at home, and when I've made cheese, it involves boiling the milk as a step. This exposes any bacteria therein to much higher temperatures than pasteurization would. I don't know if this is a step in making all cheeses, however, or if industry has found a way to avoid this step.

SEVEN! [n/t] by Herring (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 10:36:31 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Are you trying to troll slozo? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 10:44:53 AM EST

I was wondering that, too... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 12:48:29 PM EST

No...Is there a cheese issue ? by Phage (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 03:53:32 AM EST
Now I never thought I'd be writing that !
Is he a anti-pasteurisation evangelist ? If so, I didn't know it.

He wrote a diary once... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Oct 02, 2009 at 09:05:28 AM EST
that talked up the supposed health benefits of raw milk, and also implied there was some sort of conspiracy that prevented people from getting the benefits of the raw milk. As I recall, there was quite the discussion.
yeah I kinda agree. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 07:33:22 PM EST
It's been what? 50 years of Pastuerized milk?  The modern persons immune system is not prepared for this anymore.

The raw milk cheese is kinda tempting but if I'm gonna have bloody diarhea I'll need to be on vacation for 2 weeks to be sure.

Click

oh and by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 07:35:30 PM EST
At least in my state, the extra cleaning and testing one has to go thru to become licensed to sell raw milk seems to be more stringent and involved than regular milk.  That said there are only like 4 or 5 certified to sell in Pennsylvania.

Click
It is, our field's latest excuse by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 08:52:41 AM EST
is that they were so busing do installs to make it for third quarter they couldn't do anything else.

well, for fourth quarter by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 06:21:37 PM EST
I'm supposed to triple the baseline I just benchmarked...all in just 55 days!

Good thing the prior department was so fucking in competent. I look like a rockstar.

I like quite a bit of Sam Adams' brews by lm (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 08:13:16 PM EST
But Octoberfest isn't one I've liked.

Cicero, The Republic
with the local siz pack shop open by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 08:38:14 PM EST
I'll try more of the Sam Adams, because while I do like buying a case of whatever, I hate buying case of something I've never had before.

Click