Print Story I watched Rambo: First Blood last night
Health
By gzt (Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 08:19:53 AM EST) gzt, american icon, israeli consulate, awkward, cocaine (all tags)
My roommate was pissed: he's not so good with the women, and he had hung out with this girl a few times and took her to dinner, but it never went anywhere and yesterday she was all, "Oh crap, you thought that was a date? Sorry, not only did we figure out this wasn't going anywhere, but I didn't even think of that as a date. YUO FAIL IT." So he was all pissy. I was all pissy for different, but related reasons. That's why I watched Conan the night before. So, after I got back from the gym, we watched Rambo: First Blood.

Good times. I expected more killing and explosions, but was pleasantly surprised by how it went. To my mind, it was a lot more realistic and entertaining than modern action movies. A modern making of First Blood would be simply ridiculous. And have craptastic "rock" music and stupid slow motion action scenes throughout. There was a certain restraint that was not solely due to technological restrictions.

Because of a large protest at the Israeli Consulate this afternoon (which is in my building), they're giving us the option of leaving early. Since it's an option, we'd have to use paid time off to leave early. I figure I might as well. The boss informed us that she wouldn't scrutinize the records, but I figure I owe the company at least that much.

I have a masquerade party tonight. Carp: I need a mask. I may go without one and steal others'. There will most likely be this girl there that I had an awkward crush on while still in school. I ran into her twice at social events this year and I was terribly awkward. I think I will be awkward again. I don't and didn't really care that much or even like her that much, there's just something that dooms me to be awkward around her. I've accepted that for what it is. There are some people you're doomed to make stupid light-hearted jokes about doing cocaine with, some you're doomed to be completely sober with, some you're doomed to consider douches through no fault of their own, and some you're doomed to be extremely awkward with. And some that are unlike anybody you've ever known but are just too far away and the way things are in life make it so you just can't make it work right then, and they end up meeting a guy a month after you decided that and eventually marry the man. I figure I may as well make the most of it if that is my fate. I guess I'd rather have a couple more people to be awkward with.

Have I gotten anything done today at work? Probably not. I started on something and scrapped it after it didn't work: is that progress? I think I will go to lunch. That is progress.

I ran into a former roommate at the gym yesterday. Seemed to be doing well. Good times.

Crap. It's past noon. It's too late to get to lunch anywhere with a short line. Chipotle is impossible at this hour. The falafel joint usually has no line and they're pretty cheap, but I'm not sure I want to take such a terrorist food into the building on such a day.

Fr Richard John Neuhaus, founder of "First Things", is dead. http://firstthings.com/article.php3?id_article=5312 Truly an American icon.

< We deal in lead | The broken key story >
I watched Rambo: First Blood last night | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I suggest you explain ladder theory to your by georgeha (3.00 / 3) #1 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 08:23:01 AM EST
roommate.

I also suggest Mad Max as a very good revenge movie.

I think he fully grasps it. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 08:51:28 AM EST
He understood being eventually relegated for "friend" ladder, what annoyed him is that when he took her out to dinner he was already on it and on it enough that she didn't even think of it as a date. I mean, c'mon, you've recently met a guy, you hung out with him a couple times, he asks you to dinner, what the hell else is it supposed to be but a date?

Did he show her a recent STD test? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 09:00:05 AM EST
Maybe she wasn't aware of the protocol.

Part of why he's frustrated: by gzt (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 09:11:13 AM EST
It would've been his first date if it was really a date.

The kind of woman who doesn't have interest by debacle (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 05:59:01 PM EST
And lets you buy the dinner has a funny fucking view of what a "friend" is.

Bitches, man.

They might've gone Dutch by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 11:17:45 PM EST
I don't make it a point to inquire.

heros question by garlic (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 09:14:34 AM EST
I just watched season 1 of heros. Should I watch season 2 of heros?

No. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 09:46:31 AM EST
I think the world would be a much better place if it all stopped after Season 1. Just imagine that Sylar is really dead and then all of the writers of the show died and you are all done now. Season 2 is mildly entertaining and cute at points, but I do not think it is worth it. If you do watch Season 2, do not watch Season 3.

that was my suspicion by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 12:25:52 PM EST
Sometimes stories should end. You have a beginning, a middle, and an end, and when you get to the end, you don't try to continue the story just because its worth money.

First blood by wilsley (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:46:45 PM EST
was a good movie.  Bought the dvd at overpriced rate when it came out without any feTURES.

Questioning if HD would be pointless.

Tonights cranky movie by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 04:24:30 PM EST
is Max Payne. I do not have very high hopes, except for the killin's. Although its probably a little late, and I'm pretty sure none of these would fit over glasses, these masks are freakin' badass http://www.venetianmasksshop.com/

ypu're a chair
movie! by R343L (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 06:21:59 PM EST
Cranky movie! Or in my case sad-wistful-missing movie. Or movie to help with that. I shall have to look into that. Better than moping.

There will still be drinking.

Rachael

don't watch Max Payne by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Jan 10, 2009 at 07:31:41 AM EST
Barely satisfied my need for ass-kicking. That'll learn me to watch something other than shoot 'em up

ypu're a chair
I tried to watch by R343L (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Jan 10, 2009 at 08:31:46 AM EST
"The Man with the Screaming Brain" via Netflix "Watch Now" feature. I got about a third of the way through when internets got so laggy it was taking it 10 minutes to catch back up on buffering. So I gave up and watched LotR as it has melodramatic ass-kicking in abundance.