Print Story Yeah, I have a hot ass
Christmas
By georgeha (Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 07:46:18 AM EST) homebrew, boardgaming, jock (all tags)
I hope it lasts until April.

Plus Holiday wrapup, cruelty to carp, resolutions, Zooloretto, Wages of Destruction, my daughter the jock, and less.

I suppose I can do a holiday wrapup, aside from taking down the tree and undecorating (this weekend), our last Holiday activity was Mrs. Ha's family party on the 3rd. It ended up being a good time, I was able to finish watching Christmas Vacation, the kids got to play with their cousins, and all my homebrew that I brought (two growlers) was consumed. I made two sweet potato pies, and we were able to bring some back (I finished it Wednesday morning, after shoveling the wretched slush). Coffee and pie, oh my.

Anyhow, I went into the holidays with low expectations and they exceeded my expectations. I didn't get nearly all of what I wanted to do done, for instance my dormer is only about 1/6th insulated, and I didn't brew up that Pilsner. No real computer work either. On the positive side, I was able to figure out what was wrong with my electrically heated seat cover, the center conductor broke free of it's teeny weeny weld. It's back together, but I'm not sure for how long. In the meantime, I have a hot ass.

Now I have little to look forward too, my birthday I guess, and I can hope for a good riding season, I'm due. One of my resolutions is to get with the gaming group and game more (another is to make more pies).

Speaking of games, we finally unwrapped Zooloretto, and I'm afraid I need to dial back my level of play, I keep winning. It's a cutthroat game of screw your neighbor, dsiguised as a game of collecting animals for a zoo.

In other animal news, had I known the recommended tank size for goldfish was 10 gallons per fish, I wouldn't have bought the 2.5 gallon one (I thought it was a huge step up from the bowl). Suffice to say Goldie is not getting any friends until we get a bigger tank.

No movies to report on, but I do have one dang think book, Tooze's Wages of Destruction, an economic study of the Third Reich. It's dense, and fascinating. When you realize the Third Reich couldn't produce enough food for itself, and certainly couldn't import any, genocide makes sense, if one was an amoral dictator.

Twelve year old is turning into a jock, she's on the swim team, and has been practicing most afternoons. We're still getting the hang of the schedule, we may end up carpooling with two other parents (the newspapers are one of them). She's also still getting used to the homework scheduling, Wednesday night she was up until 10:30 finishing a project.

< iphone + pandora app == win | We deal in lead >
Yeah, I have a hot ass | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
make more pies by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 07:55:37 AM EST
That's a good resolution.

When I did aquariums the recommended size was 1 gallon/inch of fish. So one 10 inch fish, or ten one inch fishes, per 10 gal tank.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Goldie's about two inches by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 07:58:41 AM EST
so I guess we're covered, though most online resources recommend 10 gallons for the first goldfish.

I've already made two pies this year, tying last year's record. Come Thanksgiving, I will have dealt with that resolution.

10 gallons for stability by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 08:02:01 AM EST
The filtering systems do better with a larger volume.

The minimum size for a marine tank is around 30 gal in order to keep the salinity stable.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Put goldie in the marine tank by debacle (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 05:52:17 PM EST
I do believe they call that "brining."

that "rule" is somewhat bullshit by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:58:58 PM EST
would you seriously put like 4 angelfish in a 10 gallon tank? if you're looking at itty bitty guppies or something, sure, but anything bigger than that, even goldfish, would not be very happy or healthy that way.

---------
Wouldn't you have to consider inches based on by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 05:53:58 PM EST
The distance between the farthest two points? I think 2 angels in a 10 gallon tank would be fine.

Right now we've got 1 6 inch fish in a 40 gallon tank all by his lonesome. He seems to be enjoying it.

two, sure by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Jan 10, 2009 at 06:45:42 AM EST
if you're talking two adults. and that's still pushing it to me.  right now my tanks are a little ridiculous and i have to be super conscious of the water quality, because everyone is in a tank that i acknowledge is too small for them.  with our house renovations, everyone is in temporary, smaller tanks in the kitchen. that will soon change, because in just a couple weeks they'll be moving into their new home, a 75 gallon setup i'm buying from a friend. finally, my pleco and loaches will have the room they need, instead of being cooped up in 36 gallons.

---------
a 75 gallon setup by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Jan 10, 2009 at 09:28:13 AM EST
*Drool*

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

same friend by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Jan 10, 2009 at 10:12:50 AM EST
has a 180. sweeeeet tank.

---------
Economics by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 08:01:30 AM EST
One can easily see the 20th century purely in terms of a battle between economic systems, with the most efficient winning out in the end and the least efficient failing first.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Hitler appeared to have good economic instincts by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 08:06:36 AM EST
he figured that without conquering most of Europe, the Ukraine and the Caucacus, the US would end up being the sole superpower by the end of the 20th century. His anti-semiticism wouldn't let him trust the US, he figured the Jews controlling Wall Street would ruin Germany. He was aware the odds were long, I guess he thought better a 1 in 20 chance of success versus guaranteed failure.

Amartya Sen has noted... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 12:45:26 PM EST
that famine is a market solution to a food shortage.

Did some gaming over the break by debacle (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 05:56:20 PM EST
It's been a long time to me. It seemed very awkward and unfun at the time.

Since then, I've really been in the mood to game, and have spent a disproportionate amount of time gaming online to make up for the lack of tabletop interaction.

You could try Bacsim by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 06:09:20 PM EST
they just had their monthly meet, and may skip the February one due to Niagara Boardgame convention, but there's always March.

Yeah, I have a hot ass | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback