Print Story I was given just one wish.
By blixco (Fri Jan 30, 2009 at 07:22:54 PM EST) (all tags)
We drive ourselves.

There's a wicked on-camber S curve in that road.

It is nearly perfect.

The engine singing like a sewing machine on steroids, the music up, I don't hear anything that I am aware of but what I feel is grainy sudden physics throwing the car, me attached. Bolted in like a part of it, nylon biting into my shoulders. Eight grand, the motor screaming. Eight thousand rpm, all intake noise and detonating ripping, turning oxygen into noise at an alarming rate. I can feel the car twist when I hit the accelerator. The frame flex. The tires bend and wail.

It wants this. Some perfect joy of rubber barely hanging onto the surface, a rotten asphalt road that has seen too many central Texas summers, a back road for me but the dark houses that fly past are maybe annoyed by the sudden BRAP of intake and exhaust as I fly by, trying to exceed my capability.

Failing, not because I am all that capable at the wheel but because I am lucky and lazy and boring, my immortality a byproduct of that unardorned life. Valves singing metal and explosive precision, gears crunching into place, the body snaps into the corner, wiggling its ass as the corner flattens out. Sixty, seventy, the road is all stupid now, heaves and lost corners, off camber now, the thing has turned on me and the car bucks against my back, my head smacking the headliner, this road is not perfect or even good. My heart racing, headlights useless, I change my grip, the car bottoms out at 80 on a bad frost heave and there's a fence off to my left. Two inches of suspension travel, the brakes wobble and do their best, the wheels stopping in the gaps between heaven and asphalt, failing otherwise. I can feel the weight of it, separate now from me, spaces between my body and the seat.

Crash into third, if I lost all my limbs I'd still be me. If I flew apart hanging the car off the edge, flying through shards of broken glass into a tree, I'd know right up to the taste of the branches.  If I lost my heartbeat, I'd still be me.

My brain wrapped around that guard rail, I'd still be myself.

One complete piece, speeding through the dark.
< My solution to the credit crisis. | Hellgate:London RIP >
I was given just one wish. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oh ye gods... by Metatone (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Jan 30, 2009 at 10:07:29 PM EST
I know that feeling.

What worries me is the way when I really gun it on the freeway I start to notice the bridge supports and ponder how it would feel to just crumple against them - would it be quick - would it be the best way to go?

Probably wouldn't work in a modern car by Herring (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 10:24:43 AM EST
Too many crumple zones and airbags.

Get something like a 1970s XJS (assuming it will run long enough to get you as far as the bridge) or better still the original Lotus Elan with the fibreglass body that gives no protection. You've got enough credit to afford it - you're not worried about paying it back.

Not that I've put any thought into this at all.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Indeed... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 01:52:18 PM EST
no brooding at all.

I could get the Morgan out.

Wait by blixco (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 09:52:28 AM EST
you have a Morgan?

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
It's not currently licenced... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 11:40:24 AM EST
It runs ok, but I need to do some bodywork on it in the summer, so I didn't pay the tax this year...

Holy crap. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #13 Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 01:17:43 PM EST
I...uh.....holy crap.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Try that feeling on a motorcycle. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 08:14:58 AM EST
I feel no need to expand on that.

Meh. We all have our S-bends. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 05:26:13 AM EST
I was hung off the cliff in a 240-Z right here and lived to tell the tale. Even though that incident was 30 years ago, I can still hear the FWAP! FWAP! FWAP! of the saplings hitting the side of the car and then sliding underneath ...

Meh? by blixco (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 07:22:08 AM EST
Sorry to have bored you.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Not bored. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 08:42:03 AM EST
Just knowingly nodding my head. Do you autocross? We used to but haven't since 2001 when we crushed the regional D-Stock class for the second year in a row. Home ownership kind of ruined our Sunday's off...

I haven't in a long time. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 01:48:33 PM EST
My Focus SVT was the autocross car.  Better brakes and better low-end grunt, and a much better transmission than the Acura.  No shit.

Nope, I take it all out on the public, late at night, when the chances for screwing up become epic.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Also Nota Bene: by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 11:03:52 AM EST
Pro: Nice, clean straightaway after the S.

Con: Gravel shoulder at the entry makes for a potential spin out if somebody's been playing in the marbles before you got there.

What is it about speed? by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 08:18:48 AM EST
And why is it it's only REALLY fun when you know it's gotten dangerous?

I used to think it was just men. That is until Mrs. NFB admitted how close she comes to just throwing her hands in the air and screaming at the top of her lungs when I gun it into a sharp curve on the bike and lay it over sideways fast. I told her she'll be fine as long as she doesn't do that. She told me she's not sure she cares.

Dad's little car is the most fun I've ever had on the road. Gun it and the rear differential locks. Better hope you don't hit a corner when that's going on. It's going to go straight no matter what the front wheels are doing. And once it's up to speed and the differential unlocks? You twitch and the thing wants to spin. Glorious response without enough weight to keep it on the road. Joy.

A+++ Would Read Again [nt] by debacle (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 10:31:19 AM EST

I was given just one wish. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback