Print Story Losing the lard
Health
By hulver (Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 03:03:34 AM EST) (all tags)
I've finally got serious about losing weight.

My scales at home aren't very accurate once you get up to my weight, so the early measurements are a bit off.

Starting weight.

20 Stone. (127 kg, 280 pounds)

21st Jan 2009. 19 Stone 10 lbs (125 kg, 276 pounds)

27th Jan 2009. 19 Stone 7 lbs (124 kg, 273 pounds)

Apparently my ideal weight is somewhere between 65 - 88 kg (10 stone 4 and 13 stone 3, 144 - 185 pounds)

So I've got the rest of the year to lose at least 36 kg. That's 3/4 of a kg a week (about 1 3/4 pounds a week). That's pretty achievable I think. Only 500 KCal deficit a day.

I've been managing it so far by snacking throughout the day on raw fruit and veg, cutting down the portion sizes of the meals I do eat, and avoiding chocolate.

I've had a few cravings for fatty food. Just thinking about a big fat juicy cheese burger makes my stomach rumble.

It's not been too bad. The constant availability of fruity snacks makes it easier. If I fancy something I munch on some grapes, or an apple, or a carrot. I'm getting bored of eating salad now though. I need more variety in food.

I fell off the wagon a bit last night. Had a few cans of cider and ended up eating some mini cadbury fudge bars from the kids treat supply. I made sure to hide the wrappers though, or the kids moan at me :)

I got back on the bike this weekend as well. I've not ridden since mid-november. The weathers been fairly grotty, and I had a few colds and things that meant it was easier to just jump in the car.

I nice ride out to meet some people on Sunday was good, and I rode to work this morning.

I messed things up when I was cleaning my bike on the Saturday. One of the cones on the rear wheel had come loose, and I ended up spraying de-greasing cleaning fluid in there and making my back wheel a bit crappy. So I was up in the dark re-greasing the bearings and trying to squirt oil through my freewheel. It was working well for Sunday, so all was good.

In other home news, J has nearly finished gathering all the data for her disertation. I'm taking Thursday off to go tramping around the graveyard with her to collect the final bits. I've also got to do some data wrangling to extract data from approx. 300 html files that I downloaded. This is so that she can compare various things about death between two districts in Sheffield. My programming fu is a bit rusty.

I've actually ended up using JavaScript to get the data out of these html files. Which is a bit odd. I was going to use perl, but stupidly decided to upgrade my Ubuntu partition to 8.10. Which broke the wireless networking. Without access to the mighty web I can't work out how to fix it, so it's languishing unused. I'd have to do some sort of reboot shuffle to try different fixes out, and I just can't be arsed.

I was also thinking about using Visual studio, but it's been ages since I've done anything serious with it, and I can knock out some code in JavaScript fairly quickly. So that's what I'm using.

Enough.

< Roles and Responsabilities | A Day in the Life >
Losing the lard | 69 comments (69 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good luck! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 03:31:23 AM EST
You sound very motivated and with a good plan. That's so great. Don't worry about making some mistakes, don't beat yourself up over it, just pick up and move on. A lot of people get themselves so worked up about slipping a bit and let that make them feel as though they are failing. But, of course, slipping means that you're mostly doing well, otherwise it wouldn't be a slip it would just be normal.

I have been really enjoying the new YMCA (gym) that they built up here in the middle of nowhere for us yokels. The kids and I have been going swimming everyday and I am trying to workout at least three times a week, so far so good! I'm also tired of not looking like I want to... so... here we go! Keep up the good work!

*twinkle*twinkle*

Thanks! by hulver (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 03:37:57 AM EST
Now I've finally stopped stressing about it and just got on with it it's much easier than I thought. Having plenty to snack on really helps.

I just wish I could be like that guy I saw on TV last night. They did an "experiment" where they got a bunch of thin people and tried to feed them loads to see how much weight they would put on.

One guy put weight on but it didn't go on as fat, it went straight on as muscle. And he wasn't even exercising.

I could do with a pill for that :)

And swimming is great. Thanks for your support.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I heartily second this! by R343L (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:35:46 AM EST
Do not go crazy over slips!

Alcohol by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 03:49:43 AM EST
I tried to cut back on alcohol last year, partly to save money, and partly to see if I could lose a bit of weight.  I went from 1 bottle of wine per night to maybe 1 a week.  It did seem to make me a bit trimmer, but I don't have any scales so couldn't track the exact effect.

Then at Christmas I bought a case of wine and got back into the 1 a day habit for a few weeks, and I've definitely added weight back on.  Given there's 700 calories or so in a bottle, that's really not very surprising.

I've just (as of yesterday) decided to cut back again. It's a hell of a mental battle given that a bottle of wine goes hand in hand with a great meal.  Le sigh.

Booze by hulver (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 03:55:16 AM EST
I've also cut back on the booze, partly for the weight loss but also because my weekly consumption was passing the "excessive" level and heading for "epic".
My problem by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:12:03 AM EST
Is that drinking makes me lose my appetite. This to the point where I don't like having more than a glass of wine with a meal or I won't finish it.

So basically if I was a complete alcoholic I'd look great.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

And so would we by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 7) #31 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:28:39 AM EST

Took me a while /nt by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #46 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 06:17:25 AM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

You? 65kg? by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 03:49:48 AM EST
MY fucking ideal weight is 62-65 and I never reached 57kg until just before I hit 30.

It's good that you're going about it sensibly. I can help you keep fudz tasty even without the fat if you'd like, with some recipes and techniques.

Cabbage snack: Shred half a head, heat up a non-stick pan and dump it all in. It takes a while to break down; stir around every 2 minutes or so. As some starts to brown, add salt & pepper and 2 or 3 cardamom pods. Add 1/2t oil and 1t fish sauce. Keep cooking until it's mostly browned and more than half dried. Fish sauce is going to become your bestest buddy in the fight to make fudz seem filling -- the shit's loaded with umami.

Sugar is sugar and fruit has loads. It's a lot healthier than Walker's but still kinda high on the caloric scale.

Have a bowl of miso soup before each meal and wait 10 minutes before starting on the rest of the meal. 1Tne tablespoon of miso paste in a bowl of hot water, some shredded seaweed and/or cubed tofu if you wish.

This post is haphazard because I'm in the middle of a test here. Stop on by IRC or PM me later. FWIW, there will be both veggie and healthy food at the luncheon next month.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Fruit by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 03:56:36 AM EST
There's about 65 calories in an apple - you'd need to eat 6 before rivalling the content of a healthy sandwich.  Not sure it's really a vector for putting weight on, and if it keeps you away from snacking on crisps, sweets, sticks o' lard etc.

I like the soup-before-meal idea though.  I think I shall adopt that.  In fact, I think I should have a bowl 10 minutes before I even start preparing the meal, so I can make somewhat less heroic portions (which, even if I only serve a small part of, I will pick at it for the rest of the night till it's gone)

fruit -- good by garlic (4.00 / 1) #58 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 12:12:21 PM EST
fruit juice -- not so good.

I don't think 65kg would be a good fit on me. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:02:28 AM EST
I'm doing OK with meals at home, it's the stuff at work that I'm struggling with.

I'm ending up eating bowls full of chopped salad from the supermarket, because I can't be bothered to prepare anything at home, and there's no facilities at work do get anything other than ready made meals (which I avoid anyway, because they're awful).

The good thing about being this fat is that's it fairly easy to lose weight at first. I think once I'm further into it and approaching my goal it will start getting harder and I'll need to get more creative.

I've stopped worrying about snacking on fruit. It's fairly self limiting. I can stuff chocolate until the cows come home, but I can't eat more than 3 or 4 apples in a day. Add in some carrots (a low calorie option) and I'm well satisfied.

65kg by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:22:11 AM EST
That's around about where I feel comfortable with myself, and about 5kg less than I am currently. I'm pretty sure you're quite a bit taller than me so 65kg would be wierd.

I'm 6ft 2. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:33:10 AM EST
65kg is supposed to be the bottom of the "normal" range.
Halls.md by R Mutt (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:47:32 AM EST
Has a calculator that gives you a percentile compared to other people of your height and age. (Well, American people anyway).

Also, I think a calorie deficit of 500 per day should be about 1 pound loss per week... you may be burning more calories than you think.

97 percentile by hulver (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:08:10 AM EST
I guess I really am a fatty :)

If I was 88kg I'd be in the 42nd percentile. So slimmer than most yanks my age and height.

63rd Percentile by Phage (2.00 / 0) #50 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 07:35:11 AM EST
I'm 6' 2" as well. I can't imagine that 67Kg would be a realistic weight.

67 Kg is crazy talk by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #59 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 08:34:41 PM EST
I'm the same height and definitely have a slight build. A few years back I cycled all the time and I was ~77-80Kilos. At that weight its visible ribs and hips jutting out. Personally a solid ~83-85Kilo is my goal, but thats really just converting more fat to muscle.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
21st percentile by webwench (2.00 / 0) #69 Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 06:24:55 AM EST
I'm not as chubby as I thought XD

Getting more attention than you since 1998 .

Why Miso? [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:35:19 AM EST

It's filling despite being almost nothing. by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #35 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:47:15 AM EST
Flavour. Mouthfeel. Umami.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Maybe I've just never had good miso. [nt] by debacle (4.00 / 1) #40 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 06:03:24 AM EST

fudz tasty by gzt (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:13:29 AM EST
Actually, I think a better strategy with the fudge is to keep the fat in. It's more satisfying and filling that way and I, at least, am more likely to stop at a reasonable time. When it's just sugar, it's easy to just keep eating them. My slogan (stolen from somebody else) is, "Eating fat will make you happy. Eating sugar will make you fat." I don't know, your mileage may vary.

Fruit is pretty safe by R343L (4.00 / 1) #34 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:39:41 AM EST
As long as he stays with fresh. As gazbo points out it takes a lot of apples to rival other possiblities. Hell, a bag of salt & vinegar chips (crisps?) here at my office is almost four apples. If I ate four apples in a row, I would probably skip lunch, while the crisps just make me hungrier ...

Now, dried fruit can be dangerous. I can pack away ten ounces of, say, dried peaches. That's a lot of calories. :)

Cravings by me0w (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:05:11 AM EST
I am craving a salt lick ... covered in chocolate. DAMN YOU PMS FAIRY!

I'm down 5 lbs since New Year's by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:08:21 AM EST
Cut down on cookies to one or two a day. Bring my own lunch to work (pb&j, an apple). Drink more water (to feel more full, also helps with salt). No soda. Cut out meat at dinner a couple times a week as meat brings fat along with it.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

That's quite good by debacle (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:36:32 AM EST
Congrats.

I was the heaviest I've ever been by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:33:39 AM EST
At the beginning of December. I've dropped about 10lb since then. My ideal weight is at least 3st lighter than I am now according to BMI bollocks. I'll settle for 1st lighter. That's still overweight allegedly.

My main method has been walking an hour any day I can manage it and eating a large vegetable/fish dishes in the evening instead of a pile of pasta.

I've replaced meat with pasta by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #41 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 06:04:01 AM EST
Once a week. But I've also cut down portion sizes a bit.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

This is a good idea by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #43 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 06:06:06 AM EST
I struggle to think of anything other than a sandwich I can eat at work, but a big piece meat or fish and a ton of veg could replace the evening's carbs no problem.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

My evening portion is the same size by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #45 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 06:14:36 AM EST
It's just 90-95% veg now. With no potatoes or other starchy substances like pasta or rice. I might have some tuna or chicken in there, but I'm starting to experiment with Quorn too. I get stuffed and am not tempted to eat at all later.

It's the portion size by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #48 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 06:42:05 AM EST
Pasta generally has a higher caloric load than meat. Atkins works in part because you're calorie-restricted (without realising it). Fat & carbs: 8kcal/g; protein: 4kcal/g.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Those stats are misleading IMHO by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #64 Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 01:00:58 AM EST
Tuna (canned in water rather than oil) is 1.8 kcal/g.
Dry pasta is  ~3.5kcal/g.
Cooked pasta is  <1.5kcal/g.
Butter is ~7.5kcal/g.

So it probably depends on how you take your proteins and carbs.

I put on weight over Christmas by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:10:05 AM EST
So it's back to the gym tonight. I find exercising easier than dieting, though I'm cutting out a lot of the crap too.

Running's good. It's really hard, especially if you're heavy, much harder than cycling, so you get the desired effect in a much shorter period of time and it doesn't need as much of a commitment. Run round the block this evening and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, good luck.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

weigh to go! by TPD (4.00 / 2) #11 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:11:48 AM EST
I  briefly thought about dieting after new year but then discovered Mini eggs were back in the shops. That and the pubs were still selling alcohol.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
I'm avoiding creme eggs by hulver (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:23:17 AM EST
Once I start, there's no stopping me.
Move to USia by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:31:00 AM EST
We only have those at Easter (and one is usually enough to remind us that they're gross).

In the UK by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #25 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:04:24 AM EST
According to the shops Easter starts on January 1st.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I saw them in the grocery store Friday by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:06:10 AM EST

Yabbut by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:25:01 AM EST
We're coming into Girl Scout Cookie Season. Thin Mints, the crack cocaine of the cookie world.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

yuk by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:44:04 AM EST
Creme eggs are utterly disgusting.

Oh dear by hulver (4.00 / 1) #30 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:25:34 AM EST
I can see you and me having a falling out ;)
Why? by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #37 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:53:21 AM EST
You'd get to have all the creme eggs because I wouldn't want any.

Hi by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #38 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:54:21 AM EST
The other editors and I were having a chat and, well, we wondered if perhaps you'd be happier on a different site?  Maybe there are other forums on which you'd...I dunno...fit better?

Thanks for your understanding.

meh by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #39 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:56:03 AM EST
Creme eggs are a poor thing to obsess over. Unlike important things like cheeeeeeeeese.

Mmmmm by hulver (4.00 / 1) #44 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 06:10:31 AM EST
Cheese.
IAWTP by Phage (4.00 / 1) #52 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 07:56:52 AM EST
Now Green and Black's with Ginger...

Damn you by marvin (4.00 / 1) #55 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 09:16:29 AM EST
---- reaches into desk for another piece of dark chocolate, and wishes it had ginger chunks in it ----

That stuff is pretty good. There is a small chocolatier on Denman Island that puts dried raspberries into dark chocolate. I like it even better than ginger - it is truly amazing.

Candied ginger is hard to beat though.

Raspberries by Phage (2.00 / 0) #61 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 10:49:36 PM EST
Then you'd really like this as well.

Probably by marvin (2.00 / 0) #68 Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 09:31:28 AM EST
I've got a piece of this melting in my mouth at the moment. Last of the stocking stuffers.

I have become both a chocolate and a beer snob. Which is why the only thing I really wanted for Christmas was a mag  trainer. I am facing a similar waistline predicament to that of Hulver, so by riding the bike in the garage until the snow melts, I hope to be in good enough shape to start bike commuting again in the spring.

Ah yes by TPD (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:44:23 AM EST
me too, and I don't even like them that much.... Doesn't stop me from craving them though bizarrely

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
When grabbing data from HTML files by debacle (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:32:19 AM EST
I usually open them up in a good IDE and just run regex find/replaces on them until the data is tab delim. Maybe I'm stupid and/or lazy but it goes pretty fast. It's kind of like perl but you don't need a brain-condom to protect your programming skills.

That's what I usually do by hulver (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:34:43 AM EST
But there's a lot of these files.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Teach your childen by debacle (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 04:37:16 AM EST
About the joys of regexes.

Here's some weight loss advice by theboz (4.00 / 1) #36 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:50:52 AM EST
First of all, be sure to be careful with what fruits you eat.  Things like bananas, mangos, etc. are out.  Grapes are something you can eat as much as you want of, other fruits I would suggest moderation with.

Buy some good beef jerky and have that around to snack on, or some pork rinds.  Those are low fat and high in protein.  Another good snack is unsalted roasted almonds.

Eat loads of salads, like every day.  What I do is grill enough varieties of meat for me to eat each day for lunch of the work week, and take my lunch every day.  Generally I have salads with every meal.  So for example, today is grilled marinated skirt steak with a mixed salad, some cheese, and roasted tomatoes.  I also have home made salsa and salad dressing that were extremely simple to make that give it a good taste.  All of these things sound a little elegant or time consuming, but if you make it all in advance, you end up preparing the meals in minutes.  We probably spent no more than an hour on all the food for the week with this.

One other tip is to vary the meat you eat.  Don't eat chicken every day, alternate beef, chicken, fish, lamb, etc. if you can.  Also make sure you eat good quality meats, not ground beef and such.

Also avoid carbs.  While the Atkins diet is B.S., we westerners do eat too much bread and rice, so try to limit that as much as possible.

Be sure to give yourself perhaps one day a week where you break the diet in a controlled way.  That is, it's ok to have a few glasses of wine or light beer one day, and eat some stuff that isn't great for your diet.  Don't pig out or get drunk, but it helps to have one day a week (or every two weeks or every month if you can get away with it) that gives you a break and helps you sort out cravings.

Staying active is good, but losing weight is probably about 75% diet and 25% exercise.  You can't bust your ass at the gym and expect to be able to lose weight while going to the pub and eating fried foods and chips.  It just doesn't work that way, especially when you're not in your early 20's or younger.  Eat well.

A key is that dieting shouldn't require you to eat nasty food.  For us, salsa seems to help a lot because we can take bland food and give it a good, spicy flavor.  I can make a decent salsa out of canned chipotles in adobo sauce, canned fire roasted tomatoes, fresh garlic, and salt.  I don't need anything that has to be perfectly fresh to do it (although fresh stuff makes great salsas too.)

Also, and this is perhaps a TMI thing, if in your dieting you find that you're not getting enough fiber or having poo issues, a good thing to do is throw some fresh papaya in a blender and turn it into a juice, mix it half and half with orange juice, and drink that a few times a day.  You will never have problems again.

These were sort of random, but I'm following most of those now and it's helping me.

- - - - -
Good tips by hulver (2.00 / 0) #47 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 06:31:49 AM EST
Yeah I'm sticking to Grapes / Apples / Pears. I have the occasional banana when I'm on the bike, but not very often.

I've always alternated the meat I eat anyway, as J can't stand having the same thing two days in a row. We only buy good stuff as well, as I prefer free range rather than intensively farmed stuff.

Friday is my day off. I don't go mad, but I'll have a couple of drinks and some unhealthy food. I'd go mad and start cheating otherwise if I couldn't have a break. This way if I get tempted to eat something I shouldn't, I just think "wait til Friday". It's working for me so far.

No problems with fiber either, the amount of raw veg I'm chewing on.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I wouldn't worry about bananas too much by R Mutt (2.00 / 0) #62 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 11:42:27 PM EST
A medium-sized banana has 105 kcal. But it weighs 118g, so you're not likely to eat so many you start putting on weight again.

A small packet of crisps has 133kcal... but it weighs only 25g, so you can eat nearly five packets before you've got a bananasworth of fullupness.

Carbs by Herring (2.00 / 0) #56 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 09:37:54 AM EST
Amongst things almost guaranteed to bring on a severe gout attack in susceptible individuals (like) me is moving to a low carb/high protein diet. Actually losing weight quickly will do it too (see also gallstones).

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Maybe I shouldn't have quit smoking.... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #42 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 06:05:57 AM EST
Since I quit smoking, I've gained a whole lot of weight (close to 18 kgs I think), and with one thing and another, I haven't really worried too much about it. It's starting to bother me that I have all these clothes that I can't fit into any more, though, so I'm starting the exercise and eat less routine. Sort of. I've always been on the thin side, so I've never really worried about what I should or shouldn't eat, and if I've gained a bit of weight, a good depression generally gets me to lose it. Doesn't seem to be working this time, so I've bought a Wii, and the Wii Fit, and I'm walking more, and trying not to snack at work. I should probably cut back on the beer at night as well. Dammit. Why couldn't I have kept my 25-year-old anorexic body?

To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
Giving up smoking by hulver (4.00 / 1) #49 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 07:12:22 AM EST
I put on more weight when I gave up as well, and this is my first proper attempt to shift it.

Beer is the downfall of many a diet :)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Tackling one thing at the time. by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 2) #67 Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 02:10:54 AM EST
First smoking, good on you for getting rid of the fags.

As soon as you are really ready you will tackle your weight problem, I would wait a bit until I have no inclination to smoke again.

Good on you... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #51 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 07:38:54 AM EST
It was some time last year that I hurt my knee when some bastard in a BMW knocked me into the hedge on my bike.

I gained a fair bit waiting for that to heal up. Then I discovered that I couldn't do hills any more, after a while the knee would have me breaking down and crying like a baby.

Then, in separate issues, I had another visit from the black dog Sept - Dec.

So, I started this year on Jan 2nd with 4 stone (56 lbs) to lose.
It's going ok so far, but I'm certainly not enjoying it. I had to cut a major amount of wine out - not just the calories, but also the way it gives me the munchies.

I haven't been out on the bike yet, I've been doing lots of physio exercises on my legs and knees to try and prepare - but also I've been waiting for the weather to actually produce a day (when I'm not working) where it's not freezing, not pelting it down and not so windy it will kill me before I get out of the really exposed bit.

Hopefully it'll be soon - I should find some people to bike with though.

Of course, I've got to spend a week in Europia for work in Feb, so making sure that doesn't knock me off course is a major issue looming...

Ouch by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #54 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 08:58:09 AM EST
Have you thought of pilates? It's perfect if you've had an injury that stops you moving around vigorously. It's basically about holding stress positions and is very tough and effective.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

That's a good thought. by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #57 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 10:50:30 AM EST
I'm concentrating on the knee physio at the moment, but it's not that calorie intensive - which makes the whole business harder work. I hadn't thought about pilates. I'll have to investigate it.

Thanks!

Nasty by hulver (4.00 / 1) #60 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 10:07:59 PM EST
Knee injuries are a pain.

When you do get back on the bike, to protect your knee it's better to spin more rather than push. Probably teaching you to suck eggs here, but it's better for the knees to spin than to strain.

We'll have to try and meet up and have a ride when the weather gets better, if you're still up north.

I'm still in... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #63 Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 12:34:57 AM EST
the same corner of the People's Republic of South Yorks.

Definitely we should try and meet up for a ride.

Did put a compact chainset on? I'm thinking that might be something I should try for my knees.

I did by hulver (2.00 / 0) #65 Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 01:12:59 AM EST
Took me a while to get used to it, and the hills are still hard. They're not quite as hard as they used to be but not as easy as on a mountain bike.

Still goes quick though :)

Ride naked more by marvin (4.00 / 1) #53 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 08:30:08 AM EST
More heat loss = more energy used = faster weight loss

Exercise. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #66 Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 02:07:11 AM EST
Run 10k=free meal. Literally. Almost whatever you want.

Run 5k = free dessert, almost whatever you want.

Walk 10 minutes=small treat like handful of nuts, a quarter of a bar of chocolate).

You need twice as much biking for similar benefits I think.

That helps to make sense of that big meal in front of one.

Snack in protein (beef jerky is great, South African delis will have this a plenty) since it is protein what calms hunger.

Losing the lard | 69 comments (69 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback