Print Story Three fires
By johnny (Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 07:28:52 PM EST) (all tags)
Preliminary reports from newspapers (two of three, anyway). Longer diary writeup coming soon.

The first one was a chimney fire we put out with no real damage.

Here was the second one. It was pretty bad:

The third one: holy shit what a fire:

I'm a firefighting virgin no more. To my great surprise & delight, I did useful stuff, including putting water on flame. But most of my job was changing air packs for guys doing the real firefighting. When it's 15F outside and the packs are covered in ice, that's quite a challenge, actually.

Details later at some point, maybe, I hope.

< You keep losing when you ought to not bet | I should be packing. >
Three fires | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Please write up soon. by superdiva (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 05:12:51 AM EST
I look forward to reading the about the experience once they've been properly aged.

_________________________________________________
Psych-E.org
wow by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 07:08:44 AM EST
those articles are actually very well written, to me anyway. if that's how it actually happened, that is. around here if there's a fire that makes the news it's "there was a fire. damage included XYZ. It got put out."

my point here is that in the articles you linked to you actually get a teeny tiny feel for what the firefighters may have gone through to get that fire out. not every intricate detail, but certainly more than I'm used to getting. Articles like you linked to seem to show respect that should be shown to the people who risk their lives to try to save other people's stuff.

keep it up- the rest of us thank you for what you do.

---------
It's a small island by johnny (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 03:03:10 AM EST
Well, not that small. About 18,000 people (year round population -- summer population is 6 or 8 X) on 100 square miles. But most people are only a few degrees of separation from each other; on average I would say 2. The first house belonged to a long-time teacher at the high school. There is only one high school on Martha's Vineyard. The other house belonged to somebody who has worked at the Steamship Authority (which runs the ferries) for the last 20+ years. And EVERYBODY knows, or at least recognizes, people who work for the Steamship. Unless you own your own jet, you probably got here by the steamship. Similarly, many readers of the paper know, or at least know of, many of the firefighters. There are six towns on the island, and firefighters from four of them were involved in one way or another with the Codding Lane fire.

So even if the reporter is young and doesn't know all the connections, he knows they're there. So I thing that accounts for the tone of the newspapers here. That's the way it is here. Lots of deep connections and the shared experience of living on an island.

We are very blessed in having so many off-island people who take an interest in this place. There are enough readers to support two weekly newspapers, good, award-winning newspapers. The vast majority of the subscribers to these papers don't live here.
Buy my books, dammit!

Causes by johnny (4.00 / 3) #3 Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 10:27:42 AM EST
Today after the regular Sunday morning radio & equipment check, we had an all-hands meeting to review the fires. The Codding Lane fire was a fascinating challenge due to the fact that there was no hydrant, and the house was the last house on a narrow, one-lane, curvy dirt road that was covered with snow and ice.

Anyway, we don't yet know what caused the Codding fire, but evidently early on a gas line melted and the fire was being fueled by propane until the tank got turned off. The first firefighters at the scene saw blue flames in the basement.

The Spring Hill road fire was cased by a faulty radiant heat unit in the ceiling of a second-floor bedroom. The Good thing about that was that the fire burned a hole in the roof quickly, so the fire was self-venting -- saving us the trouble of venting it, a vital and dangerous task.
Buy my books, dammit!

What the other firefighters are saying: by chuckles (4.00 / 3) #4 Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 07:43:11 PM EST
"Have you ever noticed how all these fires started right after johnny joined?"

and how he's by johnny (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 04:18:03 AM EST
always first on the scene?
Buy my books, dammit!
No hydrants? by duxup (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 08:24:11 AM EST
No hydrants nearby in the 2nd fire?

Anyway that's awesome!