Print Story The best part?
By blixco (Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 09:18:41 AM EST) (all tags)
It's not even February yet and already the cedar pollen count is, like, two pollen grains for every molecule of oxygen.

Austin: you either love it or hate it but neither for very long.

Migas: a scrambled egg dish made with the previous day's tortilla chips, salsa, cheese, and sometimes diced fried potato.  Simply scramble the eggs with some cream, add a handful of broken-up corn tortilla chips, and some salsa. Or fresh chile, fresh tomato, and onion.  Or whatever the hell you want.  Heat a pan, fry the mixture, and add queso as a topping.

Migas were unknown to me previous to living in Austin.  They don't seem to exist in many places in the US outside of central Texas, which has a sort of unique take on Mexican-tinged food as it is.  I mean, tomatillo sauce is fine, but it's not green chili.  Migas, though, have become a staple, a comfort food.  I make them with the cheapest easy to melt cheese or cheese product I can find, stale tortilla chips, and some stupidly hot and garlicky bright red salsa made with red chili powder from home, crushed garlic, chipotle in adobo, and fresh onion, tomato, cilantro, and ground cumin. I add pequin to this for the seeds. Add that to the egg and tortilla, and cook to fluffy, then drown in cheeze(tm) and give yourself a few hours to digest it.

I mention this because I just had migas for lunch, which is an option at Kerby Lane, which makes decent migas.  And now my brain is slowing down, time itself is darwing to a slow conclusion as my metabolism takes a serious one-two punch of cheeze(tm) and protein all sopped up with warm flour tortillas.  This is not health food.  It is not even close to healthy.  But boy is it tasty.

So now the thing which I was going to write about is slow in coming, probably stopped for good by the rush of calories and artery-stopping chemistry involved in making processed cheese product.  But i wanted to mention that clock and I are working on some tunes by 256, that I have some audio recorded but it's nothing yet, and hopefully we'll have something soon-ish.  In the interim, cedar fever will probably have me down for a week or so.

I have one strange thing to mention: my wife is apparently wanting to stay in Austin on a permanent (or at least as close to that as we can get) basis. Since every place we've lived for the last 13 years has been temporary (at least in theory), I've never givven much thought to making this place a long term home.

I have to say that I am pleased by this idea, but doubt seriously that it can happen: she needs to find funding and certainly can't be a post-doc forever, nor can she become a...uh...post-post doc at UT.  So, we'll see what the economy brings to science.  I fear the worst.

< Where is that Global Warming? | USB Colonoscopy >
The best part? | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Migas sounds like by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 09:29:48 AM EST
another version of the omelet or quiche or huevos rancheros. i.e. Mix Random Stuff With Eggs.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yep. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 09:32:37 AM EST
It's a "mix leftover / stale stuff with eggs" thing.  No wasted food!

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
didn't that get us by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #8 Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 10:08:29 AM EST
chitterlings, pigs brains, tripe, offal, etc ?

Heck by blixco (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 11:11:39 AM EST

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
You can check out any time you like... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 09:30:28 AM EST
You won't leave. Austin has that way about it. Heck, the only reason I can leave for a short period is because I've always lived here. But I always come back. And in a year or so, even you, Mr. Wanderlust, will be thinking that Austin is a good enough base of operations. If you don't already, that is...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Oh, I started about two years ago by blixco (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 09:33:31 AM EST
thinking I could spend my life here.  Even with the unchecked growth and Californian-influence, it's still a Texas town.  Plus the weather is great at least 45 days a year!

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Cool! by ana (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 09:42:28 AM EST
But i wanted to mention that clock and I are working on some tunes by 256, that I have some audio recorded but it's nothing yet, and hopefully we'll have something soon-ish. Suhweet.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

tell me about it. by 256 (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 09:57:04 AM EST
i feel like my role in this project basically comes down to describing the christmas presents I want.

and evidence is pointing towards my actually getting them.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
i WILL eke out some time... by clock (4.00 / 3) #6 Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 09:50:26 AM EST
...this weekend to return the favor.  i think i finally figured out what the holy fuck you were doing and why i couldn't "get it"...the why is something i won't talk about that involves alternate tunings, old strings, and a thick skull.

stay in austin.  2010 or bust for us.  no shit.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Mmmmmm... by Audrey II (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 05:36:16 PM EST
Migas.  I sooo wanted to get some but opted for something slightly lighter.  I was still craving the migas this morning though...

I hope you enjoy the cinnamon bread!  It ranks decently high on the evil food scale but it too is qute tasty.

A2