Print Story more noms
By LilFlightTest (Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 07:31:49 AM EST) (all tags)
still cooking. is something wrong with me?

gets a little random in there....

last night i had a craving for rice pudding, so i made some.  at one point during a phone call it was discovered that my dad was preparing to make the exact same recipe from the exact same cookbook at that exact moment. weird. i did a little substituting in the recipe since i didn't have one of the ingredients. it was tasty. in fact, i plan to have some as soon as i hit submit on this.

while that was in the oven, i started searching the fridge for dinner. settled on BLTs and scrambled eggs. Bacon was thick cut, smoked, from my pa's pigs. i also added cheese, which was kind of cheating. but it was really good.

i never have the urge to cook like this. what the hell?

new year's was uneventful. i drank very little, probably because dinner was tacos and i didn't really feel like having heartburn as bad as i'd get it if i drank.  we realized it was midnight about two minutes before. man, Dick Clark looks like hell. later on one guy in our group got to the really annoying phase of his drunk, where he thinks he's hilarious but he's really just an asshole. that was when we decided it was time to head home.

one of my favorite fishies died. he'd been sick for awhile and we just couldn't figure out what was wrong with him.  we tried a few things, consulted a lot of people, but he just didn't make it. gonna freeze him and give him a proper burial in the yard when the ground thaws. he was my buddy.  on the more practical, less sentimental side, he was worth at least $50 because of his size, though he was way smaller when i got him so he was inexpensive then.

we need a media PC. anyone have suggestions?

Alrighty. that's all i got. time to go eat foods.
< Out of the depths. | I don't sleep in the night now. >
more noms | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Media PC by duxup (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 08:15:15 AM EST
I've no experience with them but it seems there are some reasonable devices (I run across them on websites more often) out there that are just tiny PCs you can hook up to your TV / home theater system.  If I had to have X, Y , Z specs I'd build it myself but some of those simple little devices seem like good deals.

____
Media PC by CountSpatula (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 08:15:55 AM EST
Hell, build one.  Likely would be cheaper than buying new, and if it's simply going to be a server, you don't need to get a motherboard with an uber-video built in.

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster
get some TV Out PVR cards by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 02:11:10 PM EST
install mythTV.
Get one of these http://www.commandir.com/

profit

Click

+1FP by CountSpatula (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 03:29:46 PM EST
Alright, I know what I'm doing over the break, then!

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster
not just a server by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 03:44:42 PM EST
it's gonna be feeding video directly to the TV.

---------
my tv has a VGA in by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Jan 03, 2009 at 05:29:43 AM EST
so my regular PC is my media PC. However, i also already have a tivo, which does most shows, and I use the PC for hulu and torrents.

we're looking for a little one by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 02:43:31 PM EST
i don't believe our TV has VGA in. but we also need a little bitty puter that will be able to either hide behind the TV or will sit in the entertainment center with the rest of the stuff. our regular PCs are all too big.

---------
DonutWheel TV -nt by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 08:27:58 AM EST

media pc by barooo (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jan 05, 2009 at 08:01:58 AM EST
A new-ish mac mini is awful hard to beat.  A little pricey but not bad.  DVD burner / reader, optical out,  comes with a remote and a full-screen interface.  Now, if you want to get into stuff like having it record TV, etc., then it probably gets complicated and you'd be better off with a PC or lunix...  But if you just want to use it to watch/rip DVD's and play mp3's or play/rip cd's, then it's fine.  The physical device itself is perfect for the application, it's tiny, silent, low power, and reasonably attractive.

I have an older one, it's a g4 not an intel and it doesn' thave the remote.  But I mostly use it as an itunes jukebox anyway, so it's more than adequate for that.  I just need to come up with a clever way to keep my library on the mini synced with the library on my laptop...  I could probably get fancy with a cronjob and rsync or something.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt