Print Story There's no place like Ohm
Hardware
By georgeha (Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 06:08:39 AM EST) multimeter, fleece, cold (all tags)
Plus, passed over, doo-rags work, and less in this very small diary.

Poll closed to wind chill.

My wife had been complaining that the dryer was taking a long, long time to dry, sure enough, it wasn't heating. Thanks to Applianceaid, I was able to track it down to broken fuses, 279769 is what they're calling it now. I was even able to find it locally. Monday night, I replaced it, replaced the plastic accordion vent, and delinted the whole ductwork, we now have a dryer with heat! It only takes one cycle to dry clothing now, sweet!

In weather related news, some darn frigid systems visited us (polar vortex, Alberta Clipper?), with highs in the single digits this week (that's the right degrees, not the Godless Commie SI units). I even put plastic over the stained glass, something I rarely do. This morning it was 3 F when I left, and no schools were closed.

I tried a doo-rag today, as my fleece and neoprene balaclava was messing up my hair when I took it off, a cheap Harley bandanna works great!

In kid news, twelve year old keeps her cell on vibrate, in case she gets a call during class. That's considerate, but she never has, and it makes it very hard to find her phone when she misplaces it, and hard to contact her after swimming practice if plans change.

In gaming news, if I make it Saturday to the monthly meet, it will be cold, especially if it's in the empty store. Good weather for eastern front games.

In other gaming news, I finished up a Realmspeak game of Magic Realm that I started in the middle of June. Five characters survived, and the dwarf even won. If I had been paying better attention, I might have been able to get the Black Knight or the White Knight to win.

In work news, we had 4% layoffs yesteday, I'm still here thankfully. I'm still finding out who got let go, I know one bud I went to DC with is gone.

< That date was brutal. | Steve Jobs and the Illuminati? >
There's no place like Ohm | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm trying to remember by spacejack (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 08:17:48 AM EST
what it was like when it seemed too hot & humid to go outside. But I'm beginning to think they're just memory implants the government uses to keep us here.

There was something about baring legs and by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 08:49:49 AM EST
arms, and wearing thin cotton clothing. Something about a machine to generate cool air too, can you imagine I paid to buy and run a machine to make cool air?

The right to bare arms by spacejack (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 09:48:33 AM EST
Wasn't that in your constitution? Hopefully Obama can restore that one for you. We Canucks will be stuck with 5 layers and a parka for the foreseeable future.

low double digit temps here and by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 01:11:58 PM EST
I broke out the long underwear I haven't worn since I lived in Vermont - mainly so I could keep warm at my desk during the day.
I'm alternately shivering and sweating by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 09:08:26 AM EST
But that's because I'm home, sick, with some kind of virus. Just finished a pot of piping hot tea.

14°F outside. If I gotta be home sick, this is the weather for it.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

You get a job and you're already slacking? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 09:13:17 AM EST
You should have infected everyone at work, just to prove you're sick.

Actually, everyone at work has already had it. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 09:30:56 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

here too by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 02:47:19 PM EST
i'm going to be finding out who's missing for another week yet...

---------
It sucks, doesn't it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 03:49:54 PM EST
we went out to lunch today to discuss who was let go, and whether or not it was warranted.

we went out by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Jan 17, 2009 at 12:35:16 PM EST
to just get out of the building.

---------
(Comment Deleted) by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 11:15:22 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by SunlightGirl

It's a boardgame from the 1970's by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 07:01:24 AM EST
Avalon Hill's attempt to get in on the D&D fad, reinterpreted with counters for characters, monsters, weapons, armor, spells and magic items.

Realmspeak is a way to play it in a java environment.

(Comment Deleted) by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 01:17:44 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by SunlightGirl

It's different, and I don't know how it compares by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 06:51:59 AM EST
to Diablo, or Everquest. The boardgamegeek page for Magic Realm, with links to Realmspeak, is here.

(Comment Deleted) by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Apr 10, 2009 at 07:46:40 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by SunlightGirl