Print Story Son of Dork
By dmg (Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 12:08:00 PM EST) (all tags)
Possibly the best punk band evar?

Too bad they split up after just one album....
< +1 FP (MLP) | Anyone Here Live in Silicon Valley? I Need a Lift to Tracy. >
Son of Dork | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Could it be by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 01:08:29 PM EST
You've really only just discovered them?  Or is this Punk Remembrance Wednesday?

Not at all. by dmg (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 01:44:52 PM EST
Just overcome with their brilliance again...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
If they're punk, I'm Debby Boone by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 02:17:15 PM EST
and You Light Up My Life. Are/were they the same style as Blink 182, Green Day and the Offspring? Yep. I like it but that's not punk. Punk was bands like DK, DI, SS-20, Black Flag, Black Marget Baby, SSD, DOA, TSoL, GBH, Social Distortion, etc...

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Blink 182 not punk? by dmg (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 03:06:08 PM EST
Are you insane?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
OK, I'll bite. by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 03:14:18 PM EST
How was Blink "punk"? Even though I like their stuff including Adam's Song and Dammit, it's not really the same sort of music as DK's Holiday in Cambodia, Vagina Dentata's Golden Boys or Minor Threat's Straight Edge. The closest I can give them to "punk" was their being a poppier version of D.I.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

"Bite"? by dmg (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 03:23:59 PM EST
Are you somehow implying that I'm "trolling"?

Blink 182 has fast loud guitars and profanity, therefore it's punk. What else could it be?

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Boy band (nt) by ajf (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 05:29:44 PM EST
Might be something to that by marvin (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 05:54:54 PM EST
This could be the Backstreet Boys or New Kids on the Block. Or Menudo.

Freaky by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 07:38:07 PM EST
He could be a Scott Thompson body double.
much as i love punk rock elitism by 256 (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 08:06:52 PM EST
i can't really support you on this one. redefining punk so as to only include hardcore punk is too disingenuous. at the very least blink-182 were straight up punk rock at the time of Cheshire Cat and, for that matter Dude Ranch. I admit that there must be some sort of mine strewn No Man's Land between Punk and Pop and that blink had probably stumbled into it around the time of Enema of the State. Still at least a few albums came out of them before their metaphorical legs got blown off.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Elitism? by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 09:23:43 PM EST
The Clash were punk and melodic even through Know Your Rights. It's not that I think punk has to be three-chords played badly while someone screams. It's a matter of subject and style and I don't see Blink as ever having been "punk". Rock? Sure. Attitude? Sometimes. Display of government warmongering and/or overreach into private lives? I don't see it. Unless you're going to make a claim that I'm really missing the point of the lyrics to Dammit.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Punk does not imply politics... by dmg (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Jan 15, 2009 at 01:10:34 AM EST
Are you suggesting "The Damned" are not punk?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
i'm familiar with the argument by 256 (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Jan 15, 2009 at 04:29:46 AM EST
but i've come, over the years, to realize that "punk music" and "punk ethos" are two different things. and while blink-182 may have the latter in short supply, i still think they produced a fair share of the former.

and the "elitism" thing was just a jibe (as much at myself as anyone), not a serious part of my thesis.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
I Just Wanna Give You the Creeps by lm (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Jan 15, 2009 at 04:54:14 AM EST
From the Beasts of Bourbon to the Cramps to Elvis Costello to Social Distortion (which you mentioned) to X to the Buzzcocks to Siouxsie & the Banshees to the Sex Pistols there are plenty of early punk bands that didn't fit into the hardcore subset of punk that you seem to be using to define the whole movement.

Cicero, The Republic