Print Story Risotto is for Suckers
Food
By Gedvondur (Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 03:46:26 PM EST) Jincy, Rissoto is for Suckers, RPG, Home (all tags)
I made risotto the other night.

What a gigantic waste of time.

Risotto

I made a very nice and proper risotto the other evening.  Took damn near three hours and about eight cups of broth.  Added a variety of mushrooms and at the end finished it with a cup of grated peccorino Romano and some lemon zest.  The "rice-made-sauce" came together exactly as it should have, it was thick and creamy.  Yet, even with seasoning, the cheese and mushrooms the taste simply wasn't worth the extended time standing in front of the stove, stirring and ladling in hot broth.  The whole experience has left me somewhat disenchanted with risotto in general.  Risotto is for suckers.

Work

Work is work.  I don't really enjoy my job that much, but then again who does?  Its getting scary out there, with our competitors laying off good analysts left and right.  I don't mean slouches that have been getting by on reputation either.  Guys with good work and excellent reputations are being let go.  I think its a matter of time before my company lays off.  I fear, with my barely-funded content that I could be one of those let go.

That would suck.  With all the other analyst talent out there coupled with the overall decline/demise of technology publications.  That would mean I have to go back to IT.  I gotta tell ya, after eight years out of the day to day business, I am unsure that I can really do day to day IT work.  Purchasing and evaluation, sure.  Management, sure.  Day to day maintenance?  Not so much.  All my certs have long since expired and my knowledge, as rusty as it is, is concentrated in operating systems that are frankly no longer sold.  On top of that, I never did learn Unix/Linux.  When I was in IT, that was considered a separate discipline.  These days, Linux is everywhere.

Still, I'm not out of a job yet.  I will get work if it happens.  I just don't look forward to the massive and nearly inevitable pay cut.

Home

Home life is pretty good.  Our new kitty, Jincy, is a little sweet-heart when she is not trying to kick our asses, along with the asses of everything else in the house.  She's about 16 weeks old and a terror with five sharp points.  But she purrs like an 150hp outboard motor and can be very sweet.

In better news, my truck is paid off this month or next.  Now we see if I can get 10 years out of it like I got out of the last one.  I don't put on that many miles, so it shouldn't be that big a deal.  That and this Dodge isn't a massive piece of high-maintenance shit like my old Chevy was.  I don't begrudge a vehicle common wear and maintenance items, but the Chevy required an engine top rebuild, 6 or so alternators and a transmission rebuild, along with various heater cores, steering columns, and gear trains for the windshield wipers.  Drove me bat-shit.  Drove me to buy the Chrysler Concorde I took to HuSiStock.  I eventually sold them both and got a Dodge pickup.  Knock on wood, three years its solid as a rock.  But then again I work from home, so the miles aren't exactly piling up.

Our dryer broke this weekend, but my father was able to come over and fix it while I was working today.  Bad igniter.  Thank Jeebus, I wasn't looking forward to the cost of replacement and gas dryers are not that complicated.  Repair cost about thirty-five bucks.

RPG

My Sunday Traveller game (The Marshall Cooperative)  went into suspension to make way for the next game.  First time I have DMed in years.  Worked out pretty well.  Some rough spots, but overall pretty good.  Running T20 with the 2148 Fourth Imperium expansion.  Nice setting, offers the possibility of the chaos of the Fall of the Third Imperium along with the possible political and corporate intrigue that was so much a part of the classic Traveller.  Players were happy, I got to run for about four months.  I should be coming up in rotation again in about April next year.  Then we will pick up where we left of.

< Oh Bostonia! | Ask Husi: How do you help a friend with derpession? >
Risotto is for Suckers | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
does your time have no value? by clover kicker (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 04:06:32 PM EST
Download some Linux and set up a home file server. Everyone needs a home file server, right?

Well that is true by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 04:39:14 PM EST
But since I came out of storage, I use a 1TB NAS device.

I have put Ubuntu on a VM on my game machine and I have been playing with that.  I received some AIX training way back in the day so the shell doesn't totally intimidate me, but the problem I have is what to do with it.

I literally have nothing I need to do in Linux.  I'm not a programmer and all my productivity apps are MS.  To make it worse, the job won't really let me change to something like Open Office.  So I'm kind of stuck.  Other than to dink around with it I have had no need.

I need some sort of motivation to learn it, but other than the spectre of economic distress, I can't think of what that would be.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
I really need a well-defined project to learn from by clover kicker (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 05:08:53 PM EST
otherwise I diddle around with %EXOTIC_TECH% for a couple of days and then forget all about it.

Right now my home server does the following stuff, maybe some of it would be handy at your place...

sharing files (duh)

IMAP server - now either myself or the missus can get at our email, whatever machine we're using, whatever OS is booted.

fetchmail - yanks email from the ISP's POP account and stuffs it into the IMAP server

spamassassin - this used to be a killer app, but lately my ISP started filtering spam at their servers. My filter still whacks some of the few spams that make it past the ISP.

procmail - my mailing lists go into their own IMAP folders instead of plugging the inbox

DHCP, DNS - can be convenient to have predictable hostnames and IPs for everyone

rsnapshot - hourly/daily/weekly/monthly snapshots of the primary HD in the server, onto a internal backup drive. It won't help if the house burns down, but it would help if the first HD dies, or if I accidentally delete/overwrite something. I backup to an external drive when I think about it, not nearly often enough.

I don't know what kind of stuff you did back in your technical days, but it might be easier to tackle stuff you already conceptually understand instead of trying to learn about e.g. dhcpd and how IP addresses work at the same time.

I was a NetWare server monkey so I hear you about being good at stuff that has disappeared from the face of the earth.

Heh by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 05:01:35 AM EST
Heh, so was I.  Had a fair amount of NetWare certs.

I was an IT generalist.  I did project management, desktop support, product evaluation, component level electronics repair for a while.....all kinds of things.  I did new site installs, I remediated old systems, solved problems nobody else wanted to solve....that kind of thing.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
My old company still uses netware by debacle (4.00 / 2) #19 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 07:11:52 AM EST
Ah, 2000. Those were the days.

I got by for under $40 by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 04:17:45 PM EST
two new fuses and aluminum ductwork, I must have pulled pounds and pounds of lint of the plastic duct.

Heh by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 04:44:15 PM EST
Ya, the lint can be pretty bad.  Ours was surprisingly clean.  I'm very happy its working now.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
uh... by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 04:29:39 PM EST
ur doin it rong. Or something. Risotto is yummy. Especially formed into balls and deep fried. I'll let toxicfur explain the details.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Oh it was good by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 04:40:41 PM EST
Just not three hours of cooking good.  My wife suggested truffle oil instead of the peccorino romano and lemon zest.

I don't know if I can stomach making it again to get to that point.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
Do the quick version. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 04:58:56 PM EST
I hated finding out that the 2+ hours of risotto with proper method + ingredients was a waste of damn time.  But hey, back then they didn't have modern rices or methods.

If you like super creamy, though, don;t use rice.  Use American-style orzo and go heavy.

Me, I use one of the many shortened versions.  But yeah, I understand both the compulsion to do it right and the disappointment in the results.  Truffle oil, by the way, won't help much. Now, shave some truffle over the completed dish....

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
(Comment Deleted) by 256 (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 07:10:35 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by 256

nonsensical comment deleted by 256 (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 04:52:50 AM EST
what i meant to say was, if you're going to call it kinky mac and cheese, fine, use orzo. but risotto isn't really all that hard, so have a little dignity and use arborio rice.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Dignity? by blixco (4.00 / 2) #21 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 08:10:15 AM EST
Why? It's not, like, high cuisine.  It's a rice dish made for peasants by peasants.  May as well be mac and cheese, really.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
/me silently crosses blixco's name by 256 (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 11:19:04 AM EST
off of his snooty wine tasting invite list

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Oh man, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 01:02:19 PM EST
I tried a wine tasting once.  At the time I was smoking.

I swear to you, all wine tastes identical when tasted through the broken-nose-two-packs-a-day-enchiladas-for-breakfast palate.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
It usually takes me about 30 minutes or so.... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 04:46:51 PM EST
give or take. And 2-4 cups of broth (but maybe you made a lot more than I did?) For just ana and me, I use 3/4 cup of risotto to 2 cups of broth, poured in at about 1/8-1/4 cup at a time, stirring until absorbed, for about 30 minutes total. The risotto should be al dente at that point. Oh, before that, I saute onion and garlic (just a bit of each) in olive oil and butter, and coat the rice with oil before I start adding the broth. Then stir in about 1/3-1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesan, some freshly roasted red peppers, and some capers (mmm, capers).

Truffle oil and mushrooms would be good, too, but they'd need to be reasonably hearty mushrooms to stand up to the risotto flavor itself. I've also made a decent asparagus risotto. It's not something I do just every week, but on occasion I make it, chill it, and mix in an egg. Form into small (ping-pong ball or a little smaller) sized balls and deep fry until golden brown. Mmmm, deep fried.
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
Your procedure by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 04:43:20 AM EST
Is not really materially different from mine.  I made two cups of rice which in retrospect is too much, but still.  The rice wasn't al dente, it was flat out crunchy after the allotted time.  Here is the recipe.  I didn't use asparagus, as the stuff they had at the store looked gross.

* 6 cups chicken broth
    * 1 cup dry white wine
    * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    * 1 cup finely chopped onion
    * Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    * 2 cups Arborio rice
    * 5 ounces wild mushrooms, cooked and coarsely chopped, approximately 3/4 cup
    * 7 ounces asparagus, cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces, approximately 1 1/2 cups
    * 2 ounces grated Parmesan, approximately 1/2 cup
    * 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Directions

In an electric kettle or medium saucepan with a lid, combine chicken broth and white wine and heat just to simmering. Keep warm.

In a large 3 to 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and sweat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the grains are translucent around the edges. Be careful not to allow the grains or the onions to brown.

Reduce the heat to low. Add enough of the wine and chicken stock just to cover the top of the rice. Stir or move the pan often, until the liquid is completely absorbed into rice. Once absorbed, add another amount of liquid just to cover the rice and continue stirring or moving as before. There should be just enough liquid left to repeat 1 more time. It should take approximately 35 to 40 minutes for all of the liquid to be absorbed. After the last addition of liquid has been mostly absorbed, add the mushrooms and asparagus and stir until risotto is creamy and asparagus is heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan, lemon zest, and nutmeg. Taste and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

*Cook's Note: If fresh wild mushrooms are not available, reconstituted dried mushrooms can be used instead. Place 2 ounces of dried mushrooms into a bowl and cover with warm water. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes or until all the mushrooms are soft and pliable.

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
ERROR: INSUFFICIENT BEER UPDATE /nt by ni (4.00 / 3) #10 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 05:12:15 PM EST

Heh by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 04:37:03 AM EST
Well on the beer front, I haven't brewed in about a month.

We finished the Octoberfest and put our house Prestidigitation brew on.  Thats a beer we made with leftover ingredients and our home-grown hops.  Turned out pretty good, if a bit on the IPA side.

Right now we have Kasteel Triple in the primary and it appears to be a stuck fermentation.  I think we need to add some heat, my buddy Scotty G, who's house we brew in, is generally cold.

We have a Celebrator Doppelbock lagering right now and our Saison is on tap with the Presti.

Soon we will brew again, an ale.  I am thinking......Hefeweiss with....raspberry?

Hmm...we will have to see.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
you're doing i wrong by 256 (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 07:08:02 PM EST
it should take bout half as long. use chanterelle mushrooms, pinot grigio and grated parmesan.

also, a pinch of msg.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Hmmm by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 04:32:58 AM EST
I had some chanterelle and I used some white wine.  The difference between grated peccorino romano and grated parmesan is really moot.

I know it was supposed to take less time, but honestly the rice wasn't done in the allotted time.  It wasn't even close to done.  I am beginning to wonder if I had the heat on too low.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
weird by 256 (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 04:49:14 AM EST
to be honest, i'm just a risotto novice myself, but e makes risotto's all the time and her chanterelle mushroom risotto is one of the best things i've ever tasted. i don't think there's a magic secret though. it does however only take an hour and a half to make risotto the way we do it.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
T20 = True 20 ? [nt] by debacle (4.00 / 2) #20 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 07:15:39 AM EST

No by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #22 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 08:58:04 AM EST
No, T20 is the Traveller specific version of SRD d20.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
Traveller is what now? by debacle (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 09:27:29 AM EST
d20 Modern?

Traveller by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #27 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 02:56:13 PM EST
The one and only.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveller_(role-playing_game)

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
rice cooker! effortless risotto, pilaf, etc. by misslake (4.00 / 2) #26 Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 01:40:48 PM EST
  1. add rice and broth to cooker
  2. add veggies
  3. stir once
  4. hit button and the rice cooker cooks everything for you
  5. stir once again when it's done (indicated by light or bell depending on model)
  6. enjoy risotto that your magical robot rice cooking servant made you.
effortless risotto, pilaf, etc.

Risotto is for Suckers | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback