Print Story You gotta do what you gotta do.
By nightflameblue (Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 04:39:04 AM EST) (all tags)
And I gotta party like my life depended on it.

Saturday. Making sense of not making sense.

Saturday, I took a bike trip to Sioux City, AKA Sucks City. Conclusion: Not better by bike than by car. It truly does suck. The only real difference is the constant fear that you're going to hit that weird center ledge they seem to have on every on/off ramp to the highways in that city when you're on a bike. Nothing as scary as sixty MPH, rounding a bend, and seeing a three inch ledge creep ever closer to the tire. Outside of that, bleh.

Oh, the rain on the way home was interesting. I stopped and geared up. Gave it a few minutes to wash the oil off the highway and got back on it. Other than that moment of panic when it went from light rain to FUCK YOU YOU'RE GONNA DIE powerstorm from hell, and then disappeared just as quickly, it's not that much different from riding without rain. You watch the road for puddles, try to stay in the tracks of the vehicles in front of you, and that's about it.

Scariest moment EVAR! Approaching a two-semi split house trailer caravan to pass on the interstate. The one with the "siding" on the opposite side from the passing lane in the rear. Right as I get there *WHAM* the siding comes off and slides around me laying across the highway. Were I two seconds behind the position I was in, I'd have been dead. Mrs. NFB, in a car a safe distance behind me at the time, said she saw my life flash before her eyes. Good thing, because I only had time to think, "SPEED THE FUCK UP NOW!" and get past the caravan before the one with the siding facing me decided to peel off.

That caused an intimate understanding of what the older bikers mean when they say, "yeah man, that caused some puckering."

Outside of that, a nice long ride with relatively little negative. Rain isn't that big of an issue, and while it was cold, I stayed fairly warm by wrapping up the layers. Good enough.

Current mileage: 748. I'll pass Mrs. NFB's brother's 2007 C90T's mileage this week sometime, and he's owned his about fifteen months.

BREAK

Someone finally explained to me why people are so excited about the new Metallica album in a way that's ALMOST understandable. I said that it's something I *CAN* listen to, but I don't really enjoy it much. Someone else said, "yeah, but after fifteen years of being kicked in the nuts by them, having something that we *CAN* listen to is really, really exciting."

See, to me they have to make it up to me. The new stuff has to KICK MY ASS to impress me. Instead, it massages my ass lightly in a way that's just a little too familiar while not being romantic in the least. So, you know, piss off. Everybody else seems to be looking at it like they, as fans, have failed it over the last few releases, and this is their chance to make it up to them. Some folks see fandom as something more than, "these guys are doing something I like." I guess I'm just not one of those folks.

Enough. Outz.

< Diary | Hey, who stole Monday? >
You gotta do what you gotta do. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
hope the mrs by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 04:58:19 AM EST
did the laundry after that.

Funnily enough. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 05:07:34 AM EST
The line from Ace Ventura went through my head once I was safely past that mess. "I'm looking for Ray Finkle. . .and a clean pair of shorts!"

Quandry by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 05:09:15 AM EST
Do I buy the album and get done over when I am disappointed, or borrow it from the internet then either buy it if I like it or delete it if I don't...

Good question. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 06:20:07 AM EST
It is interesting that this is the first time since the Black album I've even had any temptation to buy an album put out by 'tallica. Though at this point, after hearing three completed songs, it's more curiosity to see just how far they push it. With so many people so excited about it, I really wonder what else they've done.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably buy it. As it is, I may just wait and see if someone I know gets it and borrow it for a weekend. They need to impress me a lot more than they have before I jump into giving them moola again.

Not a question of money for me by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Sep 09, 2008 at 04:56:27 AM EST
But it's been years since I bought St Anger on reflex and was bitterly, bitterly disappointed.  So unless I can find a record shop and an hour to go and listen to it, I'll have to borrow it off a friend and make the call then.

Incidentally  I just listened to Master of Puppets this morning, which could make listening to the new album a more difficult experience...

Some new band names for you: Panic Cell, Running Wild (although they have been around a long time) .

Well, by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 09, 2008 at 07:19:04 AM EST
I'm good money wise. I just don't want to spend money on them when I know there's plenty of good music out there I could be buying instead.

Yeah by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 04:27:24 AM EST
It's not the money, it's the principle.

Wha!? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 06:23:20 AM EST
How can there be a new Metallica album? They all died in that bus crash in Europe in 1986, didn't they!?

(I did hear that some set of has-been old farts had been touring under their name. Is that who you mean?)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

The name "Metallica" by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 06:28:16 AM EST
is not really "Metallica." So, yeah, that's who I mean.

You gotta do what you gotta do. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback