Print Story Greetings from Sunny Skippack Pennsylvania!
Cycling
By ObviousTroll (Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 06:42:39 AM EST) (all tags)
Ride Distance: 33 miles. (estimated from GPS readings. I forgot my spedometer!)
Total Distance for the past 16 weeks: 735.1 miles

Very pretty ride. Saw a lot of nice countryside, if you like high tension power lines and teeny-tiny horse farms.

But I also had something happen 3 times today that I've never had happen before while riding..

Also inside: an update on cigars and sons.

The first time, when I called out "on your left" to a pair of joggers in front of me, they moved over, but the one closest to me made a warding gesture - she reached across her body with her right arm and held her hand along side her head, palm out - kind of like a "stop" gesture, but across the body.

So, I assumed that either she was saying "okay to pass" or "OMFG! It's a troll! Ack!".

Either way, I rode on. But then, it happened two more times during the ride! I mean, so now I have to assume that, somewhere in Robert's Rules of Trail Etiquette there's a page that explains the proper signals to give when being passed by a middle aged guy on a bike, right?

Not a big deal, but I thought it was interesting that after 8 years of riding on the trails without seeing it, I encountered it 3 times in one ride.

On the Troll, Jr. front. Had a talk with him last night that went surprisingly well. He already knew what we were going to talk about - because the first thing out of his mouth was an apology for going ballistic like that. Excellent. So, we talked (alright, I lectured) about self control and how to avoid blowing up and how I had to learn those skills when I was young or else give up on the whole concept of being married. I also told him that if it happened again, I would treat him exactly like I'd treat any adult in that situation - loud and angry.

I also told him that while he was right about my breaking a promise to him I was not going to make that promise again. I told him I'd stop buying cigars for myself on the way to work, but if a friend happened to offer me one I planned on accepting it. (Which happens surprisingly often, actually). I pointed out to him that - as part of the self control thing - that if he planned on not drinking and not smoking that was fine, but he needed to think ahead of time about how he would deal with it when someone offers him booze or a cigarette - so that he could manage the situation without it blowing up in his face.

So, hopefully the entire process has had a positive effect on him. I mean, I know that that almost sounds like I'm condoning teen age drinking, smoking (and, honestly, drugs) but I'm trying to face reality - he will be offered these things and he probably doesn't want to deal with it by going nuclear.

< Boring training classes | I watched more Doctor Who last night >
Greetings from Sunny Skippack Pennsylvania! | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
FWIW by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 06:52:10 AM EST
I think the "wave" is pretty standard to a) acknowledge they heard you and b) indicate they know which side you are passing on.  The cross-body movement seems pretty dang strange, however. I'll usually give a shoulder high wave with left hand to indicate it's clear and OK to pass me (if you're coming up on my left).

Now, it's also only standard to runners and trail users that know and understand the lingo -- Plenty of times I've said "passing on your left" and folks jump TO the left, misunderstanding the point.

Yeah, I'd think that too I was just surprised by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 09:08:15 AM EST
that all three women used the exact same awkward gesture. Shrug. It was all on the same trail, it's possible they were all part of the same running club or something like that.

Thought for the day: Some people are like slinkies - Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sheesh. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 09:21:38 AM EST
English. Do I speak it?

Hand signals have a standard by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 3) #3 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 09:17:38 AM EST

and it is this. Sounds to me like she was telling you that it looked clear, and that there was no need to be quiet. She probably just messed it up, due to lack of proper training. You know how people are.

"aim for the ass" by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 3) #4 Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 09:19:46 AM EST
I think I've used that one.

Are you riding in clown regalia? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 04:20:19 AM EST
Because that could weird people out.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

No, but I do try to explain the importance by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 04:47:55 AM EST
of 3rd parties in American politics to everyone I meet. For some reason, people seem to react the same way.