Print Story Hey Autumn!
By Merekat (Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 03:01:26 AM EST) (all tags)
Best time of year in a lot of ways, despite the growing dark and cold.

Autumn is a great month for being cozy inside and watching rain fall. You haven't had a full 6 months of that kind of weather at this point in the year so it is a novelty to be appreciated.  It brings the feel of soft wool on arms that have been bare all summer, but without the need to bundle up too much. The colours are soft and rich, no sunglasses needed.

It is also the time of year when I'm most likely to take exercise properly. Later is too cold and dark, earlier too warm. My year still starts with the academic year in my head, not jan 1, so Autumn is when I am most likely to make plans and form resolutions.

Living in Switzerland means Autumn also brings new foods. While I am not enamoured of the habit of adding pumpkin to everything, I do like vermicelles and the game meats that will be available soon and am waiting for the ice-cream stands to switch to selling roasted chestnuts.

A crisp winter, a quick spring, a warm, clear summer and a long, gentle autumn would make my perfect year.
< I Can't Dance. | Suck it up. >
Hey Autumn! | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I really like Autumn by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 04:18:49 AM EST
My big life changes always come in Autumn for some reason. I like all the seasons, though February does suck.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

That sounds good, but isn't it too early? by theboz (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 04:52:42 AM EST
We just went into September.  It's going to be in the mid-90's here today.  We're talking about 35 C.

- - - - -
Hmmmm by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 06:47:11 AM EST

You haven't had a full 6 months of that kind of weather at this point in the year ...

You're no longer in the British Isles, are you?

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Autumn is the season by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 07:33:32 AM EST
when everything dies.

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
it's really a terminator-like hibernation by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:08:24 AM EST
they'll be back

(ehn.)

ypu're a chair
I love Autumn. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 10:12:24 AM EST
It's the best season for introspection.

WInter is calling .... by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 01:53:42 PM EST
... and wants its reputation back.

Less so for Winter, I think. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 03:07:59 PM EST
Winter is/was more "Let's not starve and/or freeze to death. Keep moving."

Hey Autumn! | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback